Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 6 2013, 09:13 PM   #16
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: whatever happened to these characters?

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Isn't it obvious that the answer is 'I got it wrong' - do people really need something so obvious discussing in any detail?
No, I don't think anyone needs that, nor did I see anyone saying so. I was just a little surprised about the seemingly-angry response to Christopher's question, that's all! No biggie.

Moriarty would indeed be an interesting followup. I'd love to see his reaction to his "incarceration."
Old January 6 2013, 09:52 PM   #17
RPJOB
Commander

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
RPJOB wrote: View Post
zarkon wrote: View Post
Why would we hear from ross again after the events of Articles of the Federation?
Why wouldn't we? It's not like he was locked away inside an asteroid. He was forced to resign from Starfleet but it's not like they made a big deal about it, not wanting to draw attention to the reasons why. As long as he doesn't open his mouth about his part in the death of the president and the cover-up by everyone else, including the current president, he's probably just as free as anyone else. What are they going to do, kill him too? The man's a war hero after all.
Given that an ex-President can disappear and no one notices, who would think of Ross?
Bacco doesn't have the events of Destiny to cover her tracks this time. It's easy to say that Min Zife was a casualty of the Birg, seeing as entire planetary populations were destroyed without a trace.

And one (!) person did ask questions about Zife's disappearance. He just decided that a lie was more valuable than the truth.

"You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom...and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--"

Picard - The Drumhead
Old January 6 2013, 10:00 PM   #18
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post

Why wouldn't we? It's not like he was locked away inside an asteroid. He was forced to resign from Starfleet but it's not like they made a big deal about it, not wanting to draw attention to the reasons why. As long as he doesn't open his mouth about his part in the death of the president and the cover-up by everyone else, including the current president, he's probably just as free as anyone else. What are they going to do, kill him too? The man's a war hero after all.
Given that an ex-President can disappear and no one notices, who would think of Ross?
Bacco doesn't have the events of Destiny to cover her tracks this time. It's easy to say that Min Zife was a casualty of the Birg, seeing as entire planetary populations were destroyed without a trace.

And one (!) person did ask questions about Zife's disappearance. He just decided that a lie was more valuable than the truth.

"You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom...and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--"

Picard - The Drumhead
Surely the better quote for that situation is:

"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! And if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and tell the truth about what happened, you don't deserve to wear that uniform! I'm going to make this simple for you, Mr. Crusher: Either you come forward and tell Admiral Brand what really took place, or I will."
"Captain..."
"Dismissed!"
I guess Picard doesn't deserve to wear that Uniform either!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 02:16 AM   #19
JD
Admiral

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I've been watching both Sherlock and Elementary lately, and the got me wondering, has anything been done with Moriarty since they stuck him in his little cube thing?
What about Tom Riker, post Dominion War? I haven't read the book, but I know he was in Imzadi II, although I believe that was either before or during the Dominion War.

I don't think anything's been mentioned (maybe the cube was destroyed in Generations) about Moriarty.
That's a shame. I was thinking all of the stuff with The Doctor and holographic rites would have been the perfect way to bring him back up somehow.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:29 AM   #20
RPJOB
Commander

"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! And if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and tell the truth about what happened, you don't deserve to wear that uniform! I'm going to make this simple for you, Mr. Crusher: Either you come forward and tell Admiral Brand what really took place, or I will."
"Captain..."
"Dismissed!"
Picard, Ross, Nechayev, Paris, Jellico, Nakamura. None of them do. If they did what they felt they had to do then they all should have resigned afterwards. Picards speeches ring pretty hollow now.
Old January 7 2013, 07:38 PM   #21
Sci
Admiral

zarkon wrote: View Post
Why would we hear from ross again after the events of Articles of the Federation?
Why wouldn't we? It's not like he was locked away inside an asteroid. He was forced to resign from Starfleet but it's not like they made a big deal about it, not wanting to draw attention to the reasons why. As long as he doesn't open his mouth about his part in the death of the president and the cover-up by everyone else, including the current president, he's probably just as free as anyone else.
The terms of Bacco's deal with him were that reporter Ozla Ganiv would allow him to retire -- not resign; retire -- from Starfleet and not publish her expose on what she (Ganiv) believed to be Ross's assassination of Zife (remember, Bacco and Ganiv don't know about Section 31) or his forcing of Zife's resignation at gunpoint, in return for Ross never, ever, ever having or wielding any sort of military or political influence in any way, shape, or form ever again.

In other words, the deal is that Ganiv keeps his secret and doesn't risk war with the Klingons and Bacco lets him escape justice, in return for never doing or saying anything important for as long as he lives.

What are they going to do, kill him too?
Well, Section 31 might.

But, no, the point of the deal in Articles of the Federation was that Ganiv wouldn't publish her expose and therefore risk a war with the Klingon Empire. The issue was not what would they do to Ross, but would they release information that would provoke the war that Ross had Zife removed from office in order to prevent.

"Captain..."
"Dismissed!"
Picard, Ross, Nechayev, Paris, Jellico, Nakamura. None of them do. If they did what they felt they had to do then they all should have resigned afterwards. Picards speeches ring pretty hollow now.
You are forgetting how the actual sequence of events worked:

Picard, Ross, Nechayev, Paris, Jellico, Nakamura, and the Federation Ambassador to Tezwa (whose name I can't recall) discovered that President Zife (and his COS and Secretary of Military Intelligence) had engaged in a criminal conspiracy to smuggle Federation weapons to Tezwa in violation of the terms of the Khitomer Accords, and that they had subsequently refused to warn the Enterprise or the Klingon fleet when said fleet entered Tezwa orbit, leading to thousands of Klingon deaths. Subsequently, Zife and company ordered the conquest and occupation of Tezwa, leading to millions of Tezwan deaths and thousands of Federation deaths, and engaged in a conspiracy to obstruct justice by trying to plant false evidence to implicate the Tholians and Romulans in the pulse cannons' construction.

It was Picard's, Ross's, Nechayev's, Paris's, Jellico's, Nakamura's, and the Ambassador's judgment that Zife and company's crimes were too great to allow them to get off scott-free and continue in office. But they also believed that a public airing of their crimes would empower the reactionary anti-Federation faction in Klingon politics and lead to a devastating Federation-Klingon war.

Therefore, Picard and company engaged in a conspiracy to force Zife to resign at gunpoint.

Picard and company did not engage in a conspiracy to kill Zife. Rather, Section 31 discovered that Ross was part of a conspiracy to force Zife to resign, and they took advantage of the situation; Ross conspired with Section 31 to have Zife, Azernal, and Quafina assassinated after resigning, without the prior knowledge or consent of the other members of the "resign-at-gunpoint" conspiracy.

No work has yet established if Ross agreed with or willingly participated in Section 31's assassination of Zife, Azernal, and Quafina, or if Ross was coerced into abetting their assassination.

As for how Section 31 kept Zife's death a secret -- when you think about it, it actually shouldn't be too hard to fake someone's non-death if you have Section 31's resources. Give someone cosmetic surgery now and then to make public appearances (or use a hologram); upload a few property deeds in Zife's name on some remote resort colony planet, and file an annual tax return in his name; etc. Make sure your Fake Min is on hand to use a shovel when they break ground at the Min Zife Federation Presidential Library on Bolarus.

And of course the Borg Invasion represented a perfect opportunity to just simplify everything by reporting his death in the invasion.
Old January 9 2013, 12:18 AM   #22
Markonian
Captain

Not TrekLit, but Tom Riker is mentioned in the STO mission Badlands: After the Dominion War, the Cardassians abandoned their prison colonies, including Lazon II. The survivors, including Tom, built a new life. He fell in love, then he fell to death.

In 2409, his son Joshua Riker is still a member of the Lazon II colony.

Ishka and Zek were probably still on Risa in '81...

My question: I haven't yet read Homecoming, but what exactly happend to the five Equinox people after the return - prison or promotion?
Old January 9 2013, 01:12 AM   #23
datalogan
Lieutenant Commander

I think it was stated by Barclay (Moriarty's keeper) in a book that the Moriarty cube had been destroyed in the destruction of the Enterprise-D. Immortal Coil, I think (where they also made an android with a holographic brain).

But that's easy enough to ret-con to bring Moriarty back for a novel about AI rights. I do think Star Trek has failed to adequately address the issue. (Unless there's something in Cold Equations, which I haven't read yet.)
datalogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 03:14 AM   #24
datalogan
Lieutenant Commander

I've always wondered whatever happen to Marissa Flores, the girl that was stuck in the turbolift with Picard in TNG "Disaster".
Has she joined Starfleet and became a real "Number One" by now . . . or at least has 2 pips on her uniform?
datalogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 03:22 AM   #25
Christopher
Writer

datalogan wrote: View Post
I've always wondered whatever happen to Marissa Flores, the girl that was stuck in the turbolift with Picard in TNG "Disaster".
Has she joined Starfleet and became a real "Number One" by now . . . or at least has 2 pips on her uniform?
Well, if you really want to know...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../MarissaPicard

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 03:44 AM   #26
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
datalogan wrote: View Post
Well, if you really want to know...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../MarissaPicard
No, not this again... NOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old January 9 2013, 06:56 AM   #27
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I should ban him for that link.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 07:41 AM   #28
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Wow, I had no idea that even existed. And I really wish that I didn't.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 07:41 AM   #29
TJ Sinclair
Captain

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
I should ban him for that link.
What makes me sad is that Stephen Ratliff is in his mid-to-late-30s now and still thinks those stories are good. The stuff I wrote when I was 15, heck the stuff almost anyone wrote at that age, wasn't anywhere near that bad, but after a couple of years, even I recognized it was still crap. This guy has the complete lack of self-awareness to be proud of his Marissa stories nearly 20 years down the line...
Old January 9 2013, 07:51 AM   #30
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

*sits, gently rocking in the corner, repeating "kid's crew" over and over, a look of horror on his face*