Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 6 2013, 06:03 PM   #16
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
[Silver Linings Playbook] has a great cast. Most of the buzz has focused on Jennifer Lawrence, currently duking it out with Jessica Chastain for frontrunner status in the Best Actress race, and she's terrific.
You could tell in interviews that Bradley Cooper was totally smitten with her, like he was practically on the verge of leaving Saldana for her.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The rest of the supporting cast, likewise (it's weird to see Julia Stiles now doing such small roles, though she's a really good fit to be Jennifer Lawrence's sister).
I totally forgot that she was even in the movie until I read your post.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 06:32 PM   #17
Agent Richard07
Admiral

2. Vanishing Point (✩✩✩½) - DVD - I added this to my ziplist after reading Mr. Adventure's post last year...

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Vanishing Point 1971
Nihilistic existentialist classic with a man only known as Kowalski, a supercharged white Challenger, a fistful of uppers and an ill-advised bet to San Francisco in an impossible amount of time. This is like ST:TMP which I recently watched, where you just have to sit back and let it wash over you. Lots of desert, lots of wild driving, a blind DJ named Supersoul chronicling the journey, a naked woman riding a motorcycle, and so on and along the way hints of the failed life that brought Kowalski to this point. Nothing is really fully explained, and it's open for interpretation, I'm not even sure if it's all real, so it's probably different for everyone.

Now I need to go watch Two Lane Blacktop again...

This sums it up nicely
I wasn't bowled over, but I enjoyed the ride. I was a bit let down by the ending, but was also willing to give it some thought.

Reading up on the movie, I'm surprised at how influential it was. Apparently Steven Spielberg called it one of his favorite movies of all time, Quentin Tarantino used it as an inspiration for Death Proof and the Dodge Challenger has been documented or referenced in various TV shows and spoofs, one of which was done by Jerry Seinfeld.

3. Cyrus (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - A socially inept man meets a woman and finds out that she has a live-at-home 22 year old son with problems of his own. Stars John C. Reilly, Marissa Tomei and Jonah Hill. It's a movie that starts off one way, then takes a turn both storywise and in tone about halfway through. Reilly's character also goes through a shift early on, making his character seem a bit inconsistent, but not distractingly so, since his change can be rationalized away. I really liked the movie. It dealt with the quirks that a lot of people have in their lives but you don't often see in their public personas, and that was supported by a lot of naturalistic dialog that was largely improvized. Tonally, it fits somewhere between independent film/studio picture and comedy/drama. At one point, it does dip unnecessarily into the wacky hijinks you see in studio comedies, but it's brief and the rest of the film is pretty good and heart-felt.

Theatre: 0
DVD: 2
Blu-ray: 0
Live TV: 1
Recorded TV: 0
On Demand: 0
Internet Download: 0
Old January 7 2013, 01:22 AM   #18
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The 2013 list:
1. A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas: C-
2. Les Miserables(2012): B

Beautifully shot with great cinematography and a superb cast. Not a bad place at all to start for a film. I just didn't feel that some of the motivations by some characters were fully explained as to make me agree with them.

Fantine gets sacked and just seemingly decides to piecemeal her whole body away for money. I get her motivation is her daughter but it appears this decision is made rashly and quickly upon her sacking. She's then trapped in this new lifestyle.

Despite knowing the historical situation of the various Revolutions in early 19th century France I didn't see the acts that the characters were so determined to fight against. If you know nothing of the history, even in passing from a H.S. world history class, then the characters don't convince you of the righteousness of their cause.

Javert at no point comes across as the suicidal type. That moment literally came from no where as I see it.

Still I'm giving it a B cause so much else makes the film enjoyable for other reasons.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:10 AM   #19
CaptainCanada
Admiral

4. Kramer vs. Kramer (A-)

1979's Best Picture winner, which I have vague memories of seeing on TV at some point, though I really don't remember much about it. It's interesting to consider this and the following year's winner, Ordinary People, suggesting a deep cultural interest in the state of the American family at the time. Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep both won Oscars for the movie, and one can see why. The filmmakers put a lot of effort into trying to balance the two parents, but this is undermined in some ways by the fact that we only really see Hoffman's POV. It is his story, mind you, and the movie is already two hours long, but POV influences how audiences interpret events quite strongly (from the commentary, they were clearly aware of this, hence their being anxious to cast as Joanna somebody who could keep the audience from writing her off in the first five minutes).

5. Super 8 (B+)

Got this cheap on Blu-ray on Boxing Day. I saw this when it came out in the summer of 2011, and liked it; the second viewing pretty much confirms my earlier opinions. It's a good movie, but it's also a frustrating one because it feels like it has the nucleus of a much better one. All of the best scenes are the ones with the kids making a movie and interacting with each other; everyone else I've talked to who saw it says the same. And yet, for some reason the movie also has aliens in it. Every time the monster shows up, despite the scenes with him being competently done, I just wanted to shoo him offscreen. Also, the subplot involving the main boy and his father really doesn't work, because the dad is just such a dick that it's impossible for me to care about his relationship with his son (and it comes with what feels like a very unearned payoff). The kid actors are terrific (and the featurettes on the DVD pertaining to them are very winning), especially Elle Fanning, who was the main beneficiary of this film, so far.

Cinema: 2
Home Video: 3 (+2)
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:20 AM   #20
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

10. Django Unchained (2012) ★★★½
Genre: Tarantino
Director: Quentin Tarantion
Actors: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo Dicaprio, Samuel L. Jackson, Kerry Washington
Tomatometer: 88%

Not as good as Inglourious Basterds, but a lot better than some of his other stuff. Christoph Waltz should have been doing English movies decades ago and Sam Jackson steals every scene he's in.

11. The Lorax (2012) ★★½
Genre: Animated
Director: Chris Renaud
Actors: Danny DeVito, Ed Helms, Zac Efron, Taylor Swift
Tomatometer: 55%

12. Upside Down (2013) ★★★
Director: Juan Diego Solanas
Actors: Jim Sturgess, Kirsten Dunst, Timothy Spall

The film starts with Adam telling the story of his planet, unique from other planets as it is the only one that has dual gravity. The two worlds are separated. While Up is rich and prosperous, Down is poor. Going Up is strictly forbidden and the only connection between the worlds is through the company "TransWorld".
Okay, first of all... the concept is cool. Dunst and Sturgess are good in it. Here are the problems: there are so many visuals that it's quite distracting. It's got some obvious similarities to Total Recall. There are a couple of horrible voiceovers by Sturgess.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:13 PM   #21
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Never heard of Upside Down. It does look interesting...

Old January 7 2013, 07:16 PM   #22
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I finally saw The Amazing Spiderman last night and to say I was disappointed is an understatement. I must talk about being a remake first, I personally love remakes, I love to see new takes on existing material. To me a remake doesn't change your opinion of the original material.

While I would't call Amazing Spiderman a bad movie, I would say it was schizophrenic. While I appreciated the more serious tone of the movie it was totally betrayed by the WORSE slapstick humor ever committed to film. The movie was also overall very flat, especially in tone. While watching it with my wife, I turned to her and talked about how frustrated I was with the movie. I told her that I wasn't sure if Andrew Garfield was a good or bad actor and he reminded me of...and before I could finish she said Anakin Skywalker meaning Hayden Christensen and thats who I was just going to say. There were very questionable acting choices made and that they were included in the final product must land at the feet of the director. While a few came across as teenage angst, most of it came across as just plain old bad acting. My favorite part of the movie was when Spiderman saved the young boy from the burning car hanging above the river. It was actually touching and the only moment where I felt I was actually watching Spiderman. There were a few other good moments but not enough for me to actually overall enjoy the movie.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 07:42 PM   #23
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
I agree with lots on what you said with TASM. Of the movies I wanted to see this one let me down the most. I wasn't convinced of the need for a reboot considering the way the Raimi third left off AND who was going to be in this "reboot". It should've tried to be Spidey 4 with a Keaton/Kilmer vibe than something totally altogether new. I'm not overly excited with casting news on the sequel to this lackluster entry either.
Old January 7 2013, 08:07 PM   #24
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Never heard of Upside Down. It does look interesting...

That trailer reminds me of how poor the color is in this film. I'm liking the movie less and less the more I think about it.
Old January 8 2013, 07:49 AM   #25
Danny99
Vice Admiral

This Is 40

Kicked off the year with the Knocked Off spin-off. It has the same usual humor we've seen from Apatow when he's not working with Will Ferrell. It's got some good jokes, but seems to drag on and becomes tedious with the "Will they stay together or not?" and the scenes where they pander to young boys with gratuitous shots of Megan Fox in barely anything and to young people in general with some bodily humor. But I did expect this going in: it's a Judd Apatow film after all.

Paul Rudd can act, but he continues to hitch his horse to Apatow and Ferrell movies. I'd really be interested to see what he could do with an actual dramatic role. Albert Brooks as the mooching father was grating, though I did enjoy trying to figure out how many Simpsons episodes he had been in in my head. I agree with critic Richard Roeper when he comments about the plethora of supporting characters in this movie. Cut half of them out and focus on your leads, perhaps make their story interesting.

C+ for some basic laughs
Old January 8 2013, 08:54 AM   #26
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Playback - Netflix Instant
Parenthood (1989) - DVD
Young Adult - Netflix Instant
Django (1966) - free admission
Django Unchained (2012) - free admission
Housesitter - DVD

First six movies of the new year!

Kicked it off with Playback after seein' an article about how it was the lowest grossin' movie of the year, makin' less than $300 durin' a week in one theater. And it capitalized on Christian Slater's supportin' role for its headline. Found it on Netflix, and yes, it was a horrible movie, but Slater's is a supportin' role, and he shouldn't be blamed for it bein' a bad movie.

Followed that up with Parenthood on DVD, from a Steve Martin movie collection I picked up for five bucks. I know I've seen the movie in bits & pieces, but never all the way through 'til now. So, go me for gettin' that done.

Watched Young Adult on Netflix just to mess with the recommendations for my roommates.

Went out to the Drafthouse Ritz tonight for a double feature. They had the 1966 western and the new Tarantino movie back to back. Two very different stories bein' told in the films, but I got a kick out of seein' that Unchained included a cameo from Franco Nero, the star of the '66 film.

Also, I can see why folks are loosin' their shit over Unchained, but to me, it felt a little too long. There was no need for that movie to be three hours, and I began to wonder if the damn thing would ever end. One of my roommates agreed with me - she and her boyfriend went to see it this afternoon. He got pissed that I would even suggest such a thing...

Watchin' Housesitter on DVD now. Its also from the Steve Martin set I bought the other day.
Old January 8 2013, 03:24 PM   #27
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post
Paul Rudd can act, but he continues to hitch his horse to Apatow and Ferrell movies. I'd really be interested to see what he could do with an actual dramatic role.
He's got a small role in The Perks of Being a Wallflower. He's very un-Rudd like.
Old January 9 2013, 03:04 PM   #28
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

13. The Impossible (2012) ★★★½
Genre: Disaster
Director: J.A. Bayona
Actors: Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts
Tomatometer: 80%

tells the true story of a Spanish (though their nationalities are specified as British in the film) family's experience of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
I enjoyed the film. If it wasn't for the great tsunami scene at the beginning of the movie, this would have been something more akin to the Lifetime network, though. It was really good for the story it was telling, but I'm not sure where all the Oscar buzz is coming from.

14. Safe House (2012) ★★★
Genre: Action
Director: Daniel Espinosa
Actors: Denzel Washington, Ryan Reynolds, Vera Farmiga, Brendan Gleeson
Tomatometer: 53%

Tobin Frost (Denzel Washington), an ex-CIA operative turned international criminal, acquires a data storage device from a rogue MI6 agent. Attacked by a team of mercenaries, Frost is forced to surrender himself to the American consulate in Cape Town, South Africa.
This movie started out really intense and didn't let up for a long time. It drug me along for the ride, but unfortunately the lack of any originality or a decent scripts rears its ugly head in the last 30 minutes. It's quite a shame, because this could have been a GREAT movie rather than just a pretty good one.
Old January 9 2013, 04:45 PM   #29
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The 2013 list:
1. A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas: C-
2. Les Miserables(2012): B
3. Lincoln: A+

I found this to be a greatly well done film. The cast was superbly directed by Spielberg. We are so used to Spielberg being great and he again delivers. Like wise for Daniel Day Lewis. I found the portrayal of Mary Todd to be well balanced. Sometimes you see her shown as bat shit crazy. Other times she's watered down and shown as a quiet loyal wife. History does show she was a bit neurotic and had a fixation on gloves. Sally Field did a great job here, much better than her Aunt May that's for sure.
Tommy Lee Jones stole every scene I think that he was in and James Spader is always fun to watch.

If you think this is going to be inter-spliced with a number of battlefield action scenes from the Civil War I'm telling you it's not. A co-worker thought that and asked me. If a war movie is what you want this isn't your film. In this 2hr40-ish minute film there may be 5-6min of that. It's a dialogue heavy driven film. So know that going in. I found the tension and drama created by the events to get the 13th Amendment passed during Jan 1865 to be sufficiently engaging.

While there are many great moments my personal favorite may have been when Lincoln is mulling over a cable to send to Grant. It's just him and the two White House cable operators. He's conveying to them how equality is just fundamental and even relates it to the "self evident" claims used by Euclid regarding mathematics.

The film is worthy to win some awards. Hope it gets the chance.
Old January 9 2013, 05:18 PM   #30
Nexus-6
Ensign

Watched Skyfall which was disappointing, just dragged on and on. I like the other Daniel Craig Bond movies. Thanks for the snippet on Lincoln, watched the trailer on YouTube and wasn't sure if I wanted to see it. I live in Lexington Ky where Mary Todd grew up.
Nexus-6 is offline   Reply With Quote