Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 3 2013, 01:38 AM   #31
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: Worst lines of dialogue in the entire series?

I thought the hate came from looking upon being a woman as worse than being dead. In any situation, that's pretty damn harsh.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 06:22 AM   #32
CaptPapa
Commander

CaptPapa wrote: View Post
First one the comes to mind . . . "Double Red Alert!"
Which episode was that in? Makes me think of "Double Secret Probation."[/QUOTE]

"Double Red Alert" was from Conscience of the King, delivered by Capt. Kirk when Lenore Karidian put a phaser, set on overload, in the vent in Kirk's cabin - in order to eliminate him as one of the few remaining witnesses who can identify her father as Govenor Kodos of Tarsus IV.
Old January 3 2013, 06:43 AM   #33
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

First one the comes to mind . . . "Double Red Alert!"
Which episode was that in? Makes me think of "Double Secret Probation."
"Double Red Alert" was from Conscience of the King, delivered by Capt. Kirk when Lenore Karidian put a phaser, set on overload, in the vent in Kirk's cabin - in order to eliminate him as one of the few remaining witnesses who can identify her father as Govenor Kodos of Tarsus IV.[/QUOTE]

Where red alert is simply an alert to immediate danger, double red could be shorthand for an internal emergency such as an impending hull breech which could trigger an evacuation of the area the alert is given from? In reality, it probably just sounded dire to the writers.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 06:49 PM   #34
Forbin
Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Silliest line I could not take seriously even if I tried.

"Destroyed Kirk? No! We are INVINCIBLE! Look what we've done! Your mighty starships! War toys to be CRUSHED AS WE CHOOSE!"
it's "FOUR" toys.

[Picard] There are FOUR toys! [/Picard]
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 07:04 PM   #35
Chrislove22
Cadet

gottacook wrote: View Post
Miramanee: "I thought you no longer had the dreams, that you no longer saw the strange lodge which moves through the sky."
Underrated and hilarious.
Old January 4 2013, 04:47 PM   #36
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

E PLUB NISTA!
Old January 4 2013, 08:09 PM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CoveTom wrote: View Post
Still don't get all the hate for this episode and Janice's sentiments in that. Janice is batshit crazy, and she sees herself and her career as an utter failure. Rather than accepting responsibility for that, she blames it on some sort of inherent bias against women in Starfleet. She's looking for an excuse. I don't take it as a factual statement about 23rd century attitudes concerning women. I take it as her attempting to rationalize her situation using whatever excuse she can find.
This.
Old January 5 2013, 08:11 PM   #38
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

^ Not intending to demean the later series, but I do think TOS tended to more often demand more of the viewer in terms of thinking for themselves and "filling in the blanks," as it were, while the later series tended to spell everything out. I can imagine the same episode redone for TNG (with apologies to CoveTom for the stolen dialog ):

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM

WESLEY: "I don't understand Dr. Lester's last statement...about living as a woman being worse than death."

WORF: "Dr. Lester is batshit crazy."

BEVERLY: "She sees herself and her career as an utter failure."

DEANNA: "Rather than accepting responsibility for that, she blames it on some sort of inherent bias against women in Starfleet."

GEORDI: "She's looking for an excuse."

PICARD: "I don't take it as a factual statement about 23rd century attitudes concerning women. 20th century, maybe--"

RIKER: "20th century? Those poor, primitive people. I'm surprised they managed to survive their own ignorance."

PICARD: "Yes, quite, Number One. Anyway, I take it as her attempting to rationalize her situation using whatever excuse she can find."
Old January 5 2013, 09:01 PM   #39
Dale Sams
Captain

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
^ Not intending to demean the later series, but I do think TOS tended to more often demand more of the viewer in terms of thinking for themselves and "filling in the blanks," as it were, while the later series tended to spell everything out. I can imagine the same episode redone for TNG (with apologies to CoveTom for the stolen dialog ):

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM

WESLEY: "I don't understand Dr. Lester's last statement...about living as a woman being worse than death."

DEANNA: "Rather than accepting responsibility for that, she blames it on some sort of inherent bias against women in Starfleet."

PICARD: "I don't take it as a factual statement about 23rd century attitudes concerning women. 20th century, maybe--"

RIKER: "20th century? Those poor, primitive people. I'm surprised they managed to survive their own ignorance."

PICARD: "Yes, quite, Number One. Anyway, I take it as her attempting to rationalize her situation using whatever excuse she can find."
Wesley: "So Starfleet DID allow women to be captains in Kirk's time?"

(Awkward silence)
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 04:28 PM   #40
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM

The sad/brilliant part is how easily I was able to hear each character's voice while I was reading this. Spot on.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 04:59 PM   #41
Forbin
Admiral

Chrislove22 wrote: View Post
gottacook wrote: View Post
Miramanee: "I thought you no longer had the dreams, that you no longer saw the strange lodge which moves through the sky."
Underrated and hilarious.
Not a dialogue line, but I was always amused that she couldn't figure out why his shirt had no lacing, apparently unfamiliar with stretch fabrics, then later she puts an elastic headband on him.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 12:10 AM   #42
BennyRussel
Commander

sbk1234 wrote: View Post

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM

The sad/brilliant part is how easily I was able to hear each character's voice while I was reading this. Spot on.
I agree. The only thing missing....

DATA: Lt., I fail to understand how the waste product of a flying earth mammal could be considered mentally unsound. Feces is not sentient and therefore should have no mental functions to be measured.
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 12:56 AM   #43
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

I know "The Alternative Factor" has been picked on a lot in this thread, but:

LAZARUS: He'll kill us all if we don't kill him first! Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill! Kill!
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:18 AM   #44
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM

Wesley: "So Starfleet DID allow women to be captains in Kirk's time?"

(Awkward silence)
TROI: "My great grandmother served as a First Officer in Starfleet. First Officers go on to be Captains. Present company excluded, Will."
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:40 PM   #45
Jeyl
Commodore

Still don't get all the hate for this episode and Janice's sentiments in that. Janice is batshit crazy, and she sees herself and her career as an utter failure.
It doesn't work because Janice is human, so having her be batsh** crazy doesn't fit in with Gene Roddenberry's vision of a perfect, utopian future for humanity where all our problems have been solved. After all, this is one of many women who Kirk has bedded over the years, so there had to be 'something' appealing.

And how can she consider herself a failure when she finds an alien device that can cause two people to swap bodies? I'd think that would be a pretty significant find in any book.

I don't take it as a factual statement about 23rd century attitudes concerning women.
And the evidence to back that up is.... no female captain in Star Trek until Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home almost two decades later. If gender is not an issue, why the gender swap? If Janice is so freaking crazy, why is that made a bigger issue than simply brushing off the sexism away as nothing?
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote