Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 7 2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

My "Just Saw Insurrection For the First Time" Review.

Ahh yes, I'm greatly reminded of that time Admiral Nimitz, right in the middle of World War II, mutinied in protest of the forced relocation of a Japanese-American fishing village.

...and then fought the Prime Minister of Canada in hand to hand combat.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 02:54 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: My "Just Saw Insurrection For the First Time" Review.

When they did the DVD commentary of this movie, it should've been two hours of Frakes, Berman and Piller simply muttering "I'm sorry".
Old January 7 2013, 03:20 AM   #3
sonak
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
When they did the DVD commentary of this movie, it should've been two hours of Frakes, Berman and Piller simply muttering "I'm sorry".

I disagree that Frakes has anything to apologize for with this movie as far as direction. He did fine with his job, this movie's problem was the poorly thought-out story. Piller owed an apology for this movie, not Frakes.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 03:25 AM   #4
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

sonak wrote: View Post

I disagree that Frakes has anything to apologize for with this movie as far as direction. He did fine with his job, this movie's problem was the poorly thought-out story. Piller owed an apology for this movie, not Frakes.
He was the director. If he saw things that didn't work then he had to have the balls to demand changes to the script.

His job wasn't to be Berman's 'yes man'.
Old January 7 2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I'd rather blame whoever scraped the original idea. That might have actually been good.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:31 AM   #6
spaceballone
Lieutenant

He was the director. If he saw things that didn't work then he had to have the balls to demand changes to the script.

Frakes job was to shoot the script he was given and that's what he did. He was not involved in the story development or scripting at all. He did not have the power to overide Berman on anything major or request any major re-writes.
spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:12 AM   #7
Dream
Admiral

Braga and Moore already did that in the Generations commentary.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:37 AM   #8
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

The Insurrection commentary, with Frakes and Sirtis, is hilarious. I want them to do all of the TNG movie commentaries now.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 07:41 AM   #9
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
The Insurrection commentary, with Frakes and Sirtis, is hilarious. I want them to do all of the TNG movie commentaries now.
I agree. He was the director, yet Frakes was helping Sirtis give the movie a great MST3K treatment. ("Oh no, he's going to sing? Whose idea was that?")
Old January 7 2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
I agree. He was the director, yet Frakes was helping Sirtis give the movie a great MST3K treatment. ("Oh no, he's going to sing? Whose idea was that?")
I'm sure huge portions of the community groaned, but I actually loled at "Mr. Worf, sing" and that look on Worf's face when he shakes his head...and I laughed at Data shaking his head at Riker's assessment as to the closeness of his shave.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Mage
Commodore

That's not how it works I'm afraid. Even though we always want to blame the director, in the end it's the producers who call the shots.
Old January 7 2013, 04:15 PM   #12
lurok
Commodore

They are hilarious, indeed. I've always said it's the only way to watch the movie and have it be bearable. Frakes and Sirtis clearly don't take it seriously.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:28 PM   #13
Lance
Commodore

I still say the problem is that Frakes shaved off his beard. Remember that he did this in pre-production, and for the first part of the film he's actually wearing a fake beard. Completely jinxed the entire movie IMO.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Lance wrote: View Post
I still say the problem is that Frakes shaved off his beard. Remember that he did this in pre-production, and for the first part of the film he's actually wearing a fake beard. Completely jinxed the entire movie IMO.
I never knew that. I couldn't actually tell. Then again, I would hardly call myself a connoisseur of imitation pogonics.
Old January 7 2013, 05:11 PM   #15
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

In the shaving scene it was obvious that he was already clean shaven and they were just wiping the foam off his face.