Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 6 2013, 11:52 PM   #76
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Re: Ron D. Moore about VOY

It's one thing to be irritating, and another to be

Kara: Hypocritical, adulterous, whiny crybaby who got whassherface killed with all her druggie BS. (And yes, I cried like a baby when (Starbuck's fate) in the finale...I blame the music)

Roslin: Practically wrong about everything. Wrong about Starbuck, wanted to kill Helo's unborn child..because...vague ..danger...

*everyone's* ignorance that human life should be the most precious commodity they have but nooooooooooooo

Sometimes watching BSG was like reading Pet Semetary. I just had to stop and take a break.

I do love however that Baltar got away with a crime against humanity (giving a certain character a certain item that made a really big kaboom) and apparently took that info to the grave with him.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 12:37 AM   #77
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The threat of Athena's baby was clear.

If Hybrids work, they stop killing us, and begin bagging us for farming.

What's worse?

Death or being forced to frakk half a dozen Cylons every day for the rest of your life?

(I don't think they'd use artificial insemination, since the missing ingredient, why their farms all failed, supposedly is love. Although if they drug and hypnotize the shit out of a human being that they might as well be in the Matrix, these dupes can feel a completely loving connection as the doctor centurion milks them for the communal sperm vats with his steel claw... Although it's probably important that the Cylon feels love as well as the human donor. Programming a cylon must be easier than hypnotizing a human? Yup, back to farming. No love required that they can't easily manufacture.)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 01:46 AM   #78
Wereghost
Commodore

^ My interpretation is that the "cylons need the love of God in order to reproduce" thing was really just something that
said, and therefore probably bullplop or agenda-driven. No point in telling the enemy the truth unless it serves a specific purpose. Anyway, taken at face value, the issue was whether God loved the two parties, not whether they loved each other.
Old January 7 2013, 02:26 AM   #79
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

But frankly I think "I watch for ENTERTAINMENT IT IS NOT ENTERTAINING" is the poorest criticism ever invented. Escapism is one of the purposes of television but not the only purpose, and it's not the job of TV writers just to cater to your personal preferences.
Never said it was the writers job to cater to me, but its also not my job to watch something that I don't find entertaining. I don't find a universe full of dysfunctional characters entertaining.
Old January 7 2013, 02:43 AM   #80
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I loved what Ron did on BSG, and he was the biggest part of why DS9 was the best of Trek. I'd say his view of Voyagers issues was pretty spot on.

I thought Caprica stank though...
I've always seen this as Moore not having one original creative idea in his head. He took the ideas of two already existing shows and added despair instead of hope. How hard is too look at two shows in retrospect, combine and redo them? More than half the work is already done for him. Hell, we all do it here. I wouldn't be surprised if he was still tuning in to Voyager every week just to take ideas and re-write it for BSG.
If that's what it takes, we're all candidates for Ron Moore's job. Anyone of us then could write for TV.
Old January 7 2013, 02:58 AM   #81
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure some people thought that that Pegasus was a ripoff of Equinox.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; January 7 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old January 7 2013, 03:07 AM   #82
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I sure some people that that Pegasus was a ripoff of Equinox.
Actually, BSG felt like a ripoff of Equinox.
Old January 7 2013, 03:08 AM   #83
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

exodus wrote: View Post
I loved what Ron did on BSG, and he was the biggest part of why DS9 was the best of Trek. I'd say his view of Voyagers issues was pretty spot on.

I've always seen this as Moore not having one original creative idea in his head. He took the ideas of two already existing shows and added despair instead of hope. How hard is too look at two shows in retrospect, combine and redo them? More than half the work is already done for him. Hell, we all do it here. I wouldn't be surprised if he was still tuning in to Voyager every week just to take ideas and re-write it for BSG.
If that's what it takes, we're all candidates for Ron Moore's job. Anyone of us then could write for TV.
Oh c'mon, it takes HUGE balls today, in this enviroment, to do a Sci-Fi TV show and say "*** did it"*, and point all the way back to the pilot.

Basically giving the finger to everyone along the way who was trying to technobabble an explanation.

*(Arming shields for "It doesn't take balls to write a Deus Ex Machina")
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 03:35 AM   #84
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post

Oh c'mon, it takes HUGE balls today, in this enviroment, to do a Sci-Fi TV show and say "*** did it"*, and point all the way back to the pilot.

Basically giving the finger to everyone along the way who was trying to technobabble an explanation.

*(Arming shields for "It doesn't take balls to write a Deus Ex Machina")
It was called "Battlestar Galactica"
We already knew someone else did it.
Old January 7 2013, 08:27 AM   #85
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Moore had to opportunity to do his thing on BSG, so there. He, and others STILL whining about this should already get over it, tbh.

Sure, it would have been an interesting take to make Voyager a bit "darker" and stuff, but at the end of the day what's done is done. Voyager is good as the way it is.
Old January 7 2013, 11:27 AM   #86
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Is this some kind of swing back against BSG that I've missed? Or was always hated on by a big bunch of genre folk?

I only watched it last year, felt like I was going to die if I didn't see the next and the next and the next episode. It wasn't a show you love and embrace and grow old with like Babylon 5 or your best Trek series, it was more like some kind of intense drug high you loved every minute of. That's cliched but it's how I felt at the time.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 12:02 PM   #87
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The tv experience is very different to the dvd experience.

There's time to think and ask questions because the next episode is not qued up on your dvd player waiting to unload into your brain.

The dvd of Blood and chrome came out today if you didn't bother with the webisodes.

You know where to look for it.

Old January 7 2013, 12:05 PM   #88
teacake
Admiral

I webisoded it. But I'll buy the dvd, it's unrated iirc. So, more stuff, as in young Adama frakking the traitor.

And yeah, I like the gorge yourself on your current love better than tv. I liked gorging myself on catching up with NuWho better than watching it in dribs and drabs.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 7 2013, 01:08 PM   #89
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Question about blurays?

How many episodes per disk?

Having to get up off the couch every four episodes is for the fucking birds.

I mean with my home made collection it's usually every 12 episodes, so I actually have a chance of falling asleep watching Voyager even if I already woke up earlier in the after noon watching Voyager.

Old January 7 2013, 01:12 PM   #90
teacake
Admiral

I like watching things on the computer.

Of course the ancient crappified darkness of my tv may have something to do with this. But there's no getting up, it's all clicking on the next folder or putting in the next disc while never actually shifting anything but my arms.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne