RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,953
Posts: 5,390,895
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 560
Newest member: Jadakiss

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 3 2013, 06:34 PM   #1876
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Wow, who let the shot of Data beaming out at the end of "Pen Pals" through? I've personally done better chromakeying with a handheld camera and some consumer grade software. Data is out of focus and colored incorrectly, the matte is poorly done and fuzzy, and it just looks completely terrible...
The strange part is I thought they handled the earlier shots with the doorway really well. The animated door and Data's shadow were much more convincing than in the original version.

But then for the last beam-out shot it suddenly looks like crap again.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I have to say that one of the biggest standouts for me has also been the brilliant colour correction on the Blu-Rays.

I have tried several times over the years to re-watch TNG and every time I just couldn't get past the poor picture quality. The poor colour was definitely a big part of the reason I couldn't re-watch TNG.
Yeah, the color just looked ugly as hell on the old DVDs, especially in the first couple seasons. It either had that weird pinkish hue, or it was completely drab and dull looking.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 06:36 PM   #1877
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
Wow, who let the shot of Data beaming out at the end of "Pen Pals" through? I've personally done better chromakeying with a handheld camera and some consumer grade software. Data is out of focus and colored incorrectly, the matte is poorly done and fuzzy, and it just looks completely terrible...
The strange part is I thought they handled the earlier shots with the doorway really well. The animated door and Data's shadow were much more convincing than in the original version.

But then for the last beam-out shot it suddenly looks like crap again.
Agreed.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 01:23 AM   #1878
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Yikes, the Klingon ship at the end of "Emissary" looked freakin awful, and nowhere near as good as it did in Heart of Glory.

Most painful was the shot of both ships together, where the Enterprise was sharp and clear, and the Klingon ship looked like a blurry, upscaled mess that was copied over from an old VHS tape.

I mean, seriously? How the hell did THAT ever get approved by anybody?
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 12:52 PM   #1879
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

It's a shame Season 2 had to turn out to be such a mess. Seriously, who dropped the ball on this one? Was CBS-D not watching or giving guidance at all?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 01:16 PM   #1880
KarmicCurse
Lieutenant
 
Location: Detroit
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Edited due to posting in wrong thread - sorry.
KarmicCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 05:20 PM   #1881
MickJo1701
Commander
 
MickJo1701's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
It's a shame Season 2 had to turn out to be such a mess. Seriously, who dropped the ball on this one? Was CBS-D not watching or giving guidance at all?
In the CBS D interview on TrekCore its said that besides sharing some elements they acted independently of each other. Hopefully CBS D and the FX house responsible for reassembling Season 4 are working closely so that it doesn't happen again.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:18 PM   #1882
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
It's a shame Season 2 had to turn out to be such a mess. Seriously, who dropped the ball on this one? Was CBS-D not watching or giving guidance at all?
In the CBS D interview on TrekCore its said that besides sharing some elements they acted independently of each other. Hopefully CBS D and the FX house responsible for reassembling Season 4 are working closely so that it doesn't happen again.
Yup, HTV should have been an extension of CBS-D not a completely independent entity. CBS set themselves up for the fall on that one, with no consistency control and HTV clearly deciding to take a rather different approach, it was domed to fail.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 05:48 PM   #1883
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Anyone bump into any Standard Definition moments in Season 2 yet? I think I've stumbled across some in the Samaritan Snare when Troi enters the bridge to warn the crew, and some of the view screen's footage of the Pakleds.
Someone mentioned the test-screen images in Schizoid Man, and it is quite blurry, but we haven't had anything confirmed yet.
I watched Schizoid the other night, and it definitely looked SD to me. I think instead of re-editing and compositing all the original shots (some of them might be unavailable, like the shots from the movies), they just composited the original SD insert.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 08:46 PM   #1884
tomswift2002
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Wow, who let the shot of Data beaming out at the end of "Pen Pals" through? I've personally done better chromakeying with a handheld camera and some consumer grade software. Data is out of focus and colored incorrectly, the matte is poorly done and fuzzy, and it just looks completely terrible...

That's just like the shot I mentioned from "Q Who?" That looked like it came from a standard def VHS.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:34 PM   #1885
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Anyone bump into any Standard Definition moments in Season 2 yet? I think I've stumbled across some in the Samaritan Snare when Troi enters the bridge to warn the crew, and some of the view screen's footage of the Pakleds.
Someone mentioned the test-screen images in Schizoid Man, and it is quite blurry, but we haven't had anything confirmed yet.
I watched Schizoid the other night, and it definitely looked SD to me. I think instead of re-editing and compositing all the original shots (some of them might be unavailable, like the shots from the movies), they just composited the original SD insert.
Didn't CBS-D say that they have so far been able to find everything? I think HTV just screwed stuff up.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 11:47 PM   #1886
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Anyone bump into any Standard Definition moments in Season 2 yet? I think I've stumbled across some in the Samaritan Snare when Troi enters the bridge to warn the crew, and some of the view screen's footage of the Pakleds.
Someone mentioned the test-screen images in Schizoid Man, and it is quite blurry, but we haven't had anything confirmed yet.
I watched Schizoid the other night, and it definitely looked SD to me. I think instead of re-editing and compositing all the original shots (some of them might be unavailable, like the shots from the movies), they just composited the original SD insert.
The shot in "Samaritan Snare" when Troi enters the bridge is not SD, it's HD... but it's another anamorphically lensed shot that was filmed in the 2.39:1 aspect ratio and then pan & scanned in post to transform it into a moving shot. As we know, even CBS-Digital couldn't make those look good in season one because they didn't scan those particular elements in 4K first before they zoomed in on them and panned across them.

The test-screen images in "The Schizoid Man" on the other hand are, in fact, upconverted SD... just like Geordi's VISOR shots in "Heart of Glory" where CBS-Digital just decided to upconvert the shots and composite them into the HD element of the viewscreen, rather than recreate the effect. HTV-Illuminate obviously decided to do the same thing in "The Schizoid Man."

CBS-Digital left one fleeting shot of John de Lancie in SD during Riker's orientation on the battle bridge in "Encounter at Farpoint" -- it's when de Lancie says, "Go Back, or thou shall most certainly die."
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:16 AM   #1887
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

^ I don't really have a problem with those. I wouldn't expect CBS or anyone else to piece all those video images back together. And they fly by so damn fast anyway.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:43 AM   #1888
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain
 
Start Wreck's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

The Enterprise bridge obviously uses standard definition screens.
__________________
Fallen Star - My home-made sci-fi TV show
Start Wreck - My Star Trek spoof web comic
Doctor Who From The Start - A n00b does a blog
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:04 PM   #1889
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
The Enterprise bridge obviously uses standard definition screens.
I think it's more likely that the sensors that provide the HD content were malfunctioning due to subspace interference or damage from an alien attack in some portions of some episodes, since the viewscreen content is more frequently HD
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:05 PM   #1890
picard_2305
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Newtownabbey, Northern Ireland
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I have enjoyed Season 2 of TNG R a lot. I still think it is definitive version of the show.

The effects weren't as good as CBS D but they were not terrible. The one effect I cringed at is one that I did not notice the first time I watched it and if I dont focus on it I can miss it. THe crop error of Enterprise at end of Schizoid Man.

Do you think CBS will correct this error? I can live with this error but I hope no more errors or HTV for later seasons crops up.
picard_2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.