The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 6 2013, 10:24 PM   #526
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
TNG was a huge phenomenon.
No one is denying that. It WAS a huge phenomenon. Like breakdance. It no longer is, it may be huge again one day, but right now, it's not. Really, does it matter?
Old January 6 2013, 10:24 PM   #527
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

lurok wrote: View Post
It's not a British or age thing. Rest assured.
Then why are people in this thread acting like TNG is some show that 5 people even remember?

TNG to me is obviously the more popular show with the younger generation the movie is aimed at (NONE of my friends have ever seen an episode of TOS!). It can't even be argued that TOS is more liked by the public. William Shatner is a total joke in popular culture whereas Patrick Stewart is one of the most respected actors in the world.

People will still be fondly recalling Stewart as Picard when Chris Pine's frat boy antics are long forgotten.
(pssst) Don't tell anyone, but I think Stewart is badly overrated. He's great as Picard, he's fine as Professor X (not a huge stretch)...I don't like a lot of choices in his Shakespeare work. Not a fan of Moby Dick.

Let's just say he's no Hopkins or McKellan.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:26 PM   #528
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
For example:

As I've been watching DS9, I told my roommate (roughly DalekJim and I's ages; early twenties) I was watching "Star Trek" and he immediately went to Next Generation, or as he put it, "the one that was always on TV." For people of our age, IT is the syndicated classic that's interwoven with our psyches, while "Kirk" and "Spock" remain peripheral culture figures, but few have actually seen an episode of TOS. Now that's a shame as I have the same warm love towards TOS as I do Classic Who, but this has nothing to do with quality or what should be; this is about fame, and yes, DalekJim is right; for most of the people of my generation, Next Generation is the most well-know ST.
Love the Genesis (the band) sig.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:30 PM   #529
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
TNG was a huge phenomenon.
No one is denying that. It WAS a huge phenomenon. Like breakdance. It no longer is, it may be huge again one day, but right now, it's not. Really, does it matter?
What? Of course it matters because the exact same could be said for TOS.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:30 PM   #530
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
For example:

As I've been watching DS9, I told my roommate (roughly DalekJim and I's ages; early twenties) I was watching "Star Trek" and he immediately went to Next Generation, or as he put it, "the one that was always on TV." For people of our age, IT is the syndicated classic that's interwoven with our psyches, while "Kirk" and "Spock" remain peripheral culture figures, but few have actually seen an episode of TOS. Now that's a shame as I have the same warm love towards TOS as I do Classic Who, but this has nothing to do with quality or what should be; this is about fame, and yes, DalekJim is right; for most of the people of my generation, Next Generation is the most well-know ST.
I said you wouldn't understand...

Take what's yours and be damned

/Phil Collins with Dirty Beard
Old January 6 2013, 10:33 PM   #531
Borgminister

The Big Bang's gonna have a huge riff on Star Trek Thursday... The Next Generation, that is.

Can we call it a tie?

Last edited by Borgminister; January 6 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:39 PM   #532
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Borgminister wrote: View Post
The Big Bang's gonna have a huge riff on Star Trek tomorrow... The Next Generation, that is.

Can we call it a tie?
If we can, then it's admitting I'm right when I say audiences have an appetite for Trek without Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Hence why a new crew in a new era was the best idea, rather than making it some misty eyed nostalgia caricature .
Old January 6 2013, 10:48 PM   #533
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

When you say "Star Trek" to the average person in the U.S., the first thing that probably pops into their mind is something like this:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...-and-spock.jpg

Instead of this:
http://le0pard13.files.wordpress.com...tionphoto.jpeg

That's not to say that TNG wasn't popular among science fiction TV fans in the U.S. -- it was hugely popular. However, the knowledge of who Kirk and Spock are among Americans goes way beyond just science fiction fans. People who are NOT fans of the genre (people who don't watch Star Trek TV shows, or science fiction in general) still know those TOS characters, while many of them probably have no idea whatsoever who Data is.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:49 PM   #534
Borgminister

Borgminister wrote: View Post
The Big Bang's gonna have a huge riff on Star Trek tomorrow... The Next Generation, that is.

Can we call it a tie?
If we can, then it's admitting I'm right when I say audiences have an appetite for Trek without Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Hence why a new crew in a new era was the best idea, rather than making it some misty eyed nostalgia caricature .
Here's the thing. Everything old is new again. The fact that Kirk and Spock are known, if hazily, among the general public after 40 plus years made it the logical choice for a reboot of the movie franchise, especially after the box office turd that was Nemesis (which I saw 4 times).

I missed Seth McFarlane of course...

On the small screen, one sitcom is remembering TNG. If memory serves--not a sure thing--other serials have been throwing in general Star Trek references more from TOS. In the end, I'm just happy both are being remembered, but TOS is overall (IMO) the bigger cultural icon than TNG.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:52 PM   #535
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Again, I'd say Jean-Luc Picard is absolutely one of the most famous characters in TV history. Everybody my age, or of any age, will know who he is.
Old January 6 2013, 11:00 PM   #536
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
When you say "Star Trek" to the average person in the U.S., the first thing that probably pops into their mind is something like this:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...-and-spock.jpg

Instead of this:
http://le0pard13.files.wordpress.com...tionphoto.jpeg

That's not to say that TNG wasn't popular among science fiction TV fans in the U.S. -- it was hugely popular. However, the knowledge of who Kirk and Spock are among Americans goes way beyond just science fiction fans. People who are NOT fans of the genre (people who don't watch Star Trek TV shows, or science fiction in general) still know those TOS characters, while many of them probably have no idea whatsoever who Data is.
For people in their 50s and 40s and maybe even 30s?? Certainly. For people in their early 20s?? The second picture comes to mind when you say ST; that literally happened when I went to talk to my roommate.
Old January 6 2013, 11:02 PM   #537
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Again, I'd say Jean-Luc Picard is absolutely one of the most famous characters in TV history. Everybody my age, or of any age, will know who he is.
Shame none of them went to see Nemesis...
Old January 6 2013, 11:03 PM   #538
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Shame none of them went to see Nemesis...
I honestly wasn't aware of Nemesis until it came out on DVD; that's how poor the marketing was. Shame the film itself DID suck and guaranteed zero word of mouth.
Old January 6 2013, 11:05 PM   #539
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
For example:

I said you wouldn't understand...

Take what's yours and be damned

/Phil Collins with Dirty Beard
Just finished a complete run-through of this album 20 minutes ago. Excellent stuff.

Famous? Sure. More famous than Kirk or Spock? Umm...no. Not even close.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 11:07 PM   #540
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, at least we can agree that Genesis are the best band of all-time. I'm listening to Nursery Cryme right now.