RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 486
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 6 2013, 08:45 AM   #31
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: Rank the Doctors

Emh wrote: View Post
Before going into my list, I have to note that I love all of the incarnations of The Doctor. When I list The Third Doctor as my least favorite (sorry, OZ )
Eh, Meh, I've never set any store by your opinion anyway.
Old January 6 2013, 08:57 AM   #32
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Pertwee's era could be a bit stuffy and conservative but his performance was never less than excellent. Brilliant actor.

Last edited by DalekJim; January 6 2013 at 09:16 AM.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 11:05 AM   #33
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Pertwee's era could be a bit stuffy and conservative but his performance was never less than excellent. Brilliant actor.
"Never less than excellent"? He was terrific in several episodes had a very commanding presence and his performance had a certain elegance about it but let's be honest, he wasn't a very skilled actor and had a limited range. I remember several instances where he sees gurning as his only option to portray the Doctor getting knocked out.
Old January 6 2013, 09:29 PM   #34
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Acting often seems to be one of those things that's very much in the eye of the beholder. I, for example, am always astonished whenever someone claims that Tennant can act - I think he's dreadful, with all that bug-eyed, manic flapping about. But to each their own.
Old January 6 2013, 09:41 PM   #35
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 09:46 PM   #36
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
Acting often seems to be one of those things that's very much in the eye of the beholder..
It's true that acting is very much a matter of taste, but it's also a skill that can be learned, which means that there are some objective standards according to which you can judge a performer.
Old January 6 2013, 10:16 PM   #37
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Acting often seems to be one of those things that's very much in the eye of the beholder. I, for example, am always astonished whenever someone claims that Tennant can act - I think he's dreadful, with all that bug-eyed, manic flapping about. But to each their own.
Tennant isn't a very good actor and gets by a lot on his looks to be sure, but a lot of the blame for the OTT-ness lies with Russell T. Davies.

RTD pretty much assassinated Tennant's reputation and legacy in fandom with the 2009 specials.
Old January 6 2013, 10:27 PM   #38
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Tennant isn't a very good actor and gets by a lot on his looks to be sure, but a lot of the blame for the OTT-ness lies with Russell T. Davies.

RTD pretty much assassinated Tennant's reputation and legacy in fandom with the 2009 specials.
In 2007, the Doctor Who community had pretty much universally embraced David Tennant the way Matt Smith has been embraced now with many "Best Doctor ever!" and certainly while there were people who didn't like him (always gonna happen), the general fan opinion was positive. By the 2009 specials, despite the general liking of Waters of Mars, pretty much soured Ten for a laaarge portion of the fanbase by twisting his attributes into an over-the-top parody of the RTD/Tennant Doctor with the absolute catrastrophe named The End of Time finishing it off. The fact that the immediate next story had both a) an intelligent, well-written story, and b) a new Doctor who emphasized more old-fashioned attributes than "ooh, sexy cry" didn't help. A lot of people completely abandoned that era in a way they wouldn't have if Series 3 had ended RTD/Tennant's run. It became too bloated by the end.

I am aware that in the UK, Tennant pretty much still reigns supreme, but that's because he's a front page celebrity there in a way he isn't in the US. Here in the States among people I know, the Tennant era is mainly thought of in regards to being the "old" series that introduced the Weeping Angels in Blink and River Song in Silence in the Library for the much preferred Matt Smith here.
Old January 6 2013, 10:33 PM   #39
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post

In 2007, the Doctor Who community had pretty much universally embraced David Tennant the way Matt Smith has been embraced now with many "Best Doctor ever!" and certainly while there were people who didn't like him (always gonna happen), the general fan opinion was positive. By the 2009 specials, despite the general liking of Waters of Mars, pretty much soured Ten for a laaarge portion of the fanbase by twisting his attributes into an over-the-top parody of the RTD/Tennant Doctor with the absolute catrastrophe named The End of Time finishing it off. The fact that the immediate next story had both a) an intelligent, well-written story, and b) a new Doctor who emphasized more old-fashioned attributes than "ooh, sexy cry" didn't help. A lot of people completely abandoned that era in a way they wouldn't have if Series 3 had ended RTD/Tennant's run. It became too bloated by the end.

I am aware that in the UK, Tennant pretty much still reigns supreme, but that's because he's a front page celebrity there in a way he isn't in the US. Here in the States among people I know, the Tennant era is mainly thought of in regards to being the "old" series that introduced the Weeping Angels in Blink and River Song in Silence in the Library for the much preferred Matt Smith here.
I've had a much different experience with general audience fans I know. Very few of them have warmed up to Smith totally, because they "mourn" the loss of Tennant so much. They're still watching, but, they still miss Tennant a great deal and are very slow to warm up to Smith. Typically, it seems this feeling only lasts through the first Series of a new Doctor, but, it's still pretty prevalent in my circle 2 1/2 Series in.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:46 PM   #40
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post

Hahahaha, all this is so 100% true. Most my my friends feel sick if I even mention the Tennant era. I'm not exactly nostalgic for the days of Age of Steel and Fear Her.
Old January 7 2013, 12:06 AM   #41
Skywalker
Admiral

A friend of mine absolutely refuses to watch any of the Eleventh Doctor. She claims it's because of the overabundance of River Song (she's not a big River fan), but I think it's at least partly because Tennant isn't there anymore.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 12:18 AM   #42
Wereghost
Commodore

Of course, the above are just today's rankings. If another poll popped up tomorrow I might vote differently.

Last edited by Wereghost; January 7 2013 at 03:06 AM.
Wereghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 12:21 AM   #43
Relayer1
Commodore

Smith
Pertwee
McGann
Tennant
Troughton
Eccleston
McCoy
T Baker
Hartnell
Davidson
C Baker
Old January 7 2013, 02:09 AM   #44
Procutus
Admiral

Hahahaha, all this is so 100% true. Most my my friends feel sick if I even mention the Tennant era. I'm not exactly nostalgic for the days of Age of Steel and Fear Her.

While generally, our opinions pretty much seem to be on the same track, here we differ. I much prefer the RTD/Tennant era over the current Moffat/Smith period of The Doctor. As I mentioned earlier, Smith was such a spaz when he first appeared that I literally had to force myself to sit through the first season of his portrayal. Truthfully, if it hadn't been for River, Amy and Rory, I'd've bailed on the show for good.

Just my .02 worth. It just goes to show that that there's no universal contant when it comes to fans of ANY show. And it would be a very boring world if we all thought the same thing.

Old January 7 2013, 08:42 AM   #45
VDCNI
Captain

Surely that's just not liking the performance in that particular case.

I've not really watched his other TV stuff but he's always been excellent when I've seen him on stage - no one who pulls off Hamlet as well as he did could be described as a poor actor.

With Pertwee it's hard to tell - most of us would have only seen him in Who and maybe Worzel Gummidge. I wouldn't say he's in the top tier of Who actors but I don't think he's poor. Most of the time in Who he was only being asked to play a straight forward action hero - not much time to show off range.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote