Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 6 2013, 09:02 PM   #511
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

No, especially not one as terrible as this.

The only popular movie franchise that needed a reboot was Batman; on account of how horrible the pre-Nolan movies were.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 09:06 PM   #512
lurok
Commodore

Give me Batman Returns over Nolan's anyday. They're so boring and humorless. Mogadon movies.

ETA: though before I'm beaten with a cleft stick by DK/Nolan fans, they are technically well-made.

Last edited by lurok; January 6 2013 at 09:20 PM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 09:10 PM   #513
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

lurok wrote: View Post
Give me Batman Returns over Nolan's anyday. They're so boring and humorless.
I tend to agree. I like to watch movies that are entertaining.
Old January 6 2013, 09:31 PM   #514
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Xhiandra wrote: View Post

The only popular movie franchise that needed a reboot was Batman; on account of how horrible the pre-Nolan movies were.
What about THE MUMMY?

It had been a long time since Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr., and Christopher Lee . . . .
Old January 6 2013, 09:39 PM   #515
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
I accept though, that a large portion of this section seemed genuinely excited that fucking Khan was coming back so I won't be on the same page as a lot of people. Or even the same book.
Well, it's probably safe to say that, where TOS is concerned, I'm definitely on a different book . . .
That's a great cover. I asked Kurt Busiek once how much input he has on covers, he said "None really. Nor do I really care all that much"

How much do you have?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 09:50 PM   #516
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
jpch wrote: View Post
TNG DS9 VOY era was simply the best and the most influencing.
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. There's a reason people still talk about TOS nearly fifty years after its launch. The characters still resonate with people. That cannot be said about Modern Trek.
I dunno if it's a British thing or whatever but people my age seem to be WAY more aware of TNG than TOS. Jean-Luc Picard is an icon, no doubt about it. When people my age think of Trek they definitely think of the TNG/DS9/VOY era first. It was everywhere!

People in this thread are acting like TNG was some obscure cult show but it's actually one of the most famous TV shows ever aired. By any measure it was more successful than TOS. A genuine pop culture phenomena when it aired and still widely beloved today. Among young folk, TOS is thought of as the goofy predecessor to real Trek.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 09:55 PM   #517
lurok
Commodore

It's not a British or age thing. Rest assured.
Old January 6 2013, 09:56 PM   #518
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I accept though, that a large portion of this section seemed genuinely excited that fucking Khan was coming back so I won't be on the same page as a lot of people. Or even the same book.
Well, it's probably safe to say that, where TOS is concerned, I'm definitely on a different book . . .
That's a great cover. I asked Kurt Busiek once how much input he has on covers, he said "None really. Nor do I really care all that much"

How much do you have?
Typically, the author has very little, especially where media tie-in books are concerned. That's something that the publisher and the licensor generally handle between themselves. I saw my (very snazzy) new cover for the first time just a few weeks before everyone else did.

(My editor gave me sneak peek over the holidays.)

Glad you like it. I couldn't resist showing it off. Plus, just to stay OT, I thought it did a good job of illustrating the continuing popularity and spirit of TOS . . . .
Old January 6 2013, 09:57 PM   #519
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Xhiandra wrote: View Post

Burton's Batman and Nolan's Batman Begins were both very good. Batman Returns was still watchable, but that franchise went downhill fast.

Nolan's 2nd and 3rd films suffered from being bloated with unnecessary meandering during the middle part of those films, I think due to a case of self-indulgence on Nolan's part.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:09 PM   #520
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Then why are people in this thread acting like TNG is some show that 5 people even remember?

TNG to me is obviously the more popular show with the younger generation the movie is aimed at (NONE of my friends have ever seen an episode of TOS!). It can't even be argued that TOS is more liked by the public. William Shatner is a total joke in popular culture whereas Patrick Stewart is one of the most respected actors in the world.

People will still be fondly recalling Stewart as Picard when Chris Pine's frat boy antics are long forgotten.
Old January 6 2013, 10:13 PM   #521
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Did Star Trek need a reboot? Well it sure needed something.

I'm not the biggest fan of JJ Abrams, but the cast is great which helps a lot. These are fun, summer action flicks and have to appeal to a larger audience than Trek fans. This is obvious.

Aside from two huge plot contrivances in the 2009 flick (which were lazy writing, Star Trek or not), whatever bugs me about these films does so on a cheesy fanboy level and not worth mentioning. If I have fun, then I'll get my money's worth. I'd love to see "classic timeline Trek" again, but until that happens, this is all we've got on screen.
Old January 6 2013, 10:15 PM   #522
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Then why are people in this thread acting like TNG is some show that 5 people even remember?

TNG to me is obviously the more popular show with the younger generation the movie is aimed at (NONE of my friends have ever seen an episode of TOS!). It can't even be argued that TOS is more liked by the public. William Shatner is a total joke in popular culture whereas Patrick Stewart is one of the most respected actors in the world.

People will still be fondly recalling Stewart as Picard when Chris Pine's frat boy antics are long forgotten.
In the U.S., Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock are pop culture icons. Jean-Luc Picard is not.
The common average NON-Star Trek fan American (some of whom are people who never watched any Star Trek of any kind in their lives) have mostly heard of Kirk and Spock, but not Picard.

By the way, I'm a big fan of TNG, as well as TOS. I'm just pointing out that the knowledge of the character "Captain Kirk" is ubiquitous among a wide range of people the United States. Picard is mostly known by Star Trek fans.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:15 PM   #523
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

For example:

As I've been watching DS9, I told my roommate (roughly DalekJim and I's ages; early twenties) I was watching "Star Trek" and he immediately went to Next Generation, or as he put it, "the one that was always on TV." For people of our age, IT is the syndicated classic that's interwoven with our psyches, while "Kirk" and "Spock" remain peripheral culture figures, but few have actually seen an episode of TOS. Now that's a shame as I have the same warm love towards TOS as I do Classic Who, but this has nothing to do with quality or what should be; this is about fame, and yes, DalekJim is right; for most of the people of my generation, Next Generation is the most well-know ST.
Old January 6 2013, 10:17 PM   #524
lurok
Commodore

Changing times. TOS is cool again (thanks in part to 09 film). TNG will always be there for those who like it, but it's just not hip. Apart from Worf. Who never goes out of style.
Old January 6 2013, 10:18 PM   #525
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
In the U.S., Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock are pop culture icons. Jean-Luc Picard is not.
I... really don't think that's right. Especially when taking in to account Nagisa's post.

TNG was a huge phenomenon. Somebody had to think so if it got 4 Hollywood movies based on it.

Changing times. TOS is cool again (thanks in part to 09 film). TNG will always be there for those who like it, but it's just not hip.
Well, I've never been cool and I think Star Trek should be more than a nostalgia piece for a 60s action show.