Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 6 2013, 03:53 AM   #1
elric428
Lieutenant

On Board the USS Enterprise

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Tcx2h_s1L-...ior+dorsel.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9l1kmRWsE3...ain+bridge.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0uXF2jdv6u...g+quarters.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3qXjGHW_7A...ngineering.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wt12M7NSSh...boratories.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lC0dxtJ5MV...en+forward.jpg
elric428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile
Re: On Board the USS Enterprise

Or you know, you could just link to the article that has all those images displayed within it as handy easy to view pictures. Just a thought...

Anywho, this book doesn't look to be quite as excitingly new and in-depth as I hoped when the first listings appeared. But I think I shall still get it to enjoy a fresh take on the Enteprise-D. I'm hoping they'll do a preview of the CD-ROM tour soon.

Last edited by 8of5; January 6 2013 at 02:23 PM.
8of5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's definitely the CD I'm most interested in on this one. Hopefully my expectations will be met rather than dashed.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 05:22 PM   #4
bfollowell
Commander

I'm looking forward to this too but, come on, CD inside? Big deal, ooohh, a CD, wow, twenty year-old computer technology that'll store a whopping 700 MB. I really am anxious to see what it includes but I'm thinking it can't be too much or anything very high resolution because of the space limitations of a CD.

Has anyone heard any details of what exactly is supposed to be included on the disc?

- Byron
Old January 6 2013, 06:30 PM   #5
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I don't want to belittle the efforts to produce a book/product like this. It looks very nice. But...

After a couple decades, the Ent-D has been very very well covered already. Schematics, diagrams, blueprints, illustrations, tech manuals... both official and fan-produced. What's new that can be brought to the table at this point?

And now seeing some of the actual pages-- oh boy.

Pictures with captions indicating
"this is the warp core"
"this is the master systems display"
"this is the captain's chair, this is where Picard sat"

Who is this book for? After 25 years, even casual fans know what the captain's chair is and where the warp nacelles are. Even if we didn't pay for it, what's the interest in seeing pictures of the bridge showing us where Data was stationed, at the Ops console?

We fans don't already know rudimentary stuff like this?
We should pay for it? How is it new or exciting for us?

If this came out in the 1990s, I could understand the interest. But not now, not without something *never before seen* about the Ent-D.

I guess there are noobs that are maybe just coming into TNG now and this book would be interesting.

But for an old fart veteran fan like me, this stuff is old old news. Nice effort but nothing new for me.

Last edited by SchwEnt; January 6 2013 at 08:21 PM.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

bfollowell wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to this too but, come on, CD inside? Big deal, ooohh, a CD, wow, twenty year-old computer technology that'll store a whopping 700 MB. I really am anxious to see what it includes but I'm thinking it can't be too much or anything very high resolution because of the space limitations of a CD.
So what would be a more "modern" alternative that could be packaged in a book? I think they have USB flash drives that are pretty thin these days. But maybe an SD card would be better.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
So what would be a more "modern" alternative that could be packaged in a book?
DVD would be an alternative for a start. Several times more memory, with basically the same product physically, and old/established enough that everyone should have the means to play the DVD.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Psi'a Meese
Lieutenant Commander

Just because the overall celebration of TNG's 25th occurred - at least for the convention circuit - during 2012, doesn't mean we can't experience an ongoing celebration through September of 2013. IMO, this book isn't unwelcome.

Regarding the CD, I agree the publisher could have gone further with a DVD for a virtual tour. However, my understanding of the product description is that the focus is the book itself. Old school? Maybe. But this style of book would never, IMO, be enjoyed on a Kindle.
Old January 6 2013, 10:56 PM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Next Generation? CD-ROM? Is it 1994 again?
Old January 7 2013, 01:58 AM   #10
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

CD-Rom is useless to me since I have a 'netbook but I'm still purchasing this anyway. I wasn't expecting that much from it in the first place, nor was I expecting a technical manual or anything like that, but I think it looks pretty decent for what it actually is, and that appears to be a "guide book".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 02:30 AM   #11
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
So what would be a more "modern" alternative that could be packaged in a book? I think they have USB flash drives that are pretty thin these days. But maybe an SD card would be better.
What about a code for a downloadable version?
Old January 7 2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I had the interactive technical manual back in the day. Fun stuff. Wish I could find the CD. Lots of quicktime was involved.
Old January 7 2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I kind of assumed that's actually what the CD Rom is going to be actually. Some kind of updated version of the interactive technical manual (which I really wanted as a kid but never got). Would make sense to package it with a book like this. As for what content is supposed to be on the disc, nothing's been revealed yet I don't think.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; January 8 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 12:13 AM   #14
JD
Admiral

That's The Visual Dictionary, not On Board the Enterprise.
Old January 8 2013, 01:23 AM   #15
mindx2
Lieutenant

When is this going to be released? Also, this looks very basic. The info is not very in-depth and the large photos are of set pieces/ angles seen many times before. Kind of underwhelming.

Last edited by mindx2; January 8 2013 at 01:50 AM.
mindx2 is offline   Reply With Quote