RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 384
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 6 2013, 03:11 PM   #31
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

Re: why is s6 > s7 ?

BillJ wrote: View Post
I-Am-Prepared! wrote: View Post
Is any of this really relevant, however? Let's return to some substantive discussion, please...
Substantive?

I'd rather watch seasons one and two vs. seasons six and seven everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Seasons one and two had a fresher universe with more interesting characters, better direction, music and lighting.
*sigh* Talk about missing the point. I was simply addressing the fact that someone sidetracked the discussion with some notion that I accused people of calling season 6 "bad", which I didn't. I was suggesting we return to actually discussing the topic at hand.

But I guess you saw the word "substantive" and somehow thought I was talking about the quality of season 6. I wasn't, but whatever. I'm starting to remember why I left this place....
I-Am-Prepared! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 03:40 PM   #32
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I was simply addressing the fact that someone sidetracked the discussion with some notion that I accused people of calling season 6 "bad", which I didn't.
I apologize.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 04:08 PM   #33
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

Tosk wrote: View Post
I was simply addressing the fact that someone sidetracked the discussion with some notion that I accused people of calling season 6 "bad", which I didn't.
I apologize.
It's totally fine, let's just talk about season 6.

What do people think about "The Quality of Life"? Kind of a forgotten episode, but it brought some interesting issues to the fore.
I-Am-Prepared! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 05:49 PM   #34
at Quark's
Lieutenant

It's totally fine, let's just talk about season 6.

What do people think about "The Quality of Life"? Kind of a forgotten episode, but it brought some interesting issues to the fore.
Saw it again approx. 2, 3 months ago. Was less impressed by it than I remembered from seeing it the first time around as a teenager.

There's nothing wrong with the ep, but imho, the're not bringing anything new into the mix that we hadn't seen before, either (most philosophical stuff already had been covered by eps like measure of a man, imho). Although I liked the idea of repair tools that just replicated the right machinery to fix stuff on-site

So, -- average, imho. Perhaps slightly above average.

Last edited by at Quark's; January 6 2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: changed ep title to 'measure of a man' :)
at Quark's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 09:03 PM   #35
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

The decline definitely began in season 6, but at least it had Tapestry, Chain of Command, Relics, Ship in a Bottle, etc.

Season 7? Gambit was the worst two-parter on TNG, hands-down. The season had about as many quality episodes as season 1. All Good Things made up for it though.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 11:18 PM   #36
Mojochi
Commodore

at Quark's wrote: View Post
Hi all,

Perhaps a stupid question, but can anyone explain to me why TNG 's 6th season is regarded by many as the best of TNG overall, and the 7th season as inferior, having 'run out of steam', or whatever ?
I've always thought that the 'pound for pound' best quality season was 4. It always felt to me as though they really hit their stride in season 3, & rode that peek into season 5, & then there was more difficulty in being creative

In hindsight I'm pretty lenient though, there's maybe only 2 or 3 episodes in any given season that I truly dislike

S1 Code of Honor, When the Bough Breaks & Angel One
S2 Manhunt & Shades of Gray
S3 The Bonding & Menage a Troi
S4 Suddenly Human & The Loss
S5 Imaginary Friend & Cost Of Living
S6 Aquiel & Fistful Of Datas
S7 Eye of The Beholder & Sub Rosa

Those are really the only ones & can't sit through
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 01:40 AM   #37
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think S6 and S7 have the same amount of great episodes, but S7 has more mediocre eps and stinkers.

Great S6 eps: Chain of Command I & II, Face of the Enemy, Tapestry, Frame of Mind, Timescape
Great S7 eps: Gambit I & II, The Pegasus, Lower Decks, All Good Things I & II

So, 6 each

Mediocre to bad S6 eps: Rascals, Fistful of Datas, Rightful Heir
Mediocre to bad S7 eps: Interface, Dark Page, Force of Nature, Inheritance, Homeward, Sub Rosa, Journey's End, Firstborn, Bloodlines, Emergence

10-3 for S7

S7 has it's share of great episodes but far more stinkers than any season since 2.

Edit: Removing 'Quality of Life' from the list of bad episodes because I was confusing it with Cost of Living. It's more an average episode.

(Remember kids: Never eat your worlds!)

Last edited by JirinPanthosa; January 7 2013 at 02:00 AM.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 03:20 AM   #38
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Someone thought Gambit was good? I thought it was one of the most boring episodes - nearly unwatchable stretched out into two episodes.
Old January 7 2013, 03:29 AM   #39
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Arpy wrote: View Post
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Sig-worthy! May I?
Old January 7 2013, 04:35 AM   #40
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Please
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:53 AM   #41
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Someone thought Gambit was good? I thought it was one of the most boring episodes - nearly unwatchable stretched out into two episodes.
I thought it was certainly better than "Birthright", in any case.
Old January 7 2013, 03:56 PM   #42
Lance
Commodore

Birthright is at least half good. The bits with DS9 in them...

I keep accidentally thinking Quark's cameo was in Gambit, but IMDB tells me it was "Firstborn". Hey ho.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:03 PM   #43
AloriaDax
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tosk wrote: View Post
Season 7:

Writer #1 "Hey, what if we got to meet X's relative in this episode?"
Writer #2 "I love it!"
Maybe. But the one With Data's mom is one of my all time favorites. Whatever got her there, I'm cool with it. LOL
Wow. I must really be a freak because I really liked seasons 6 and 7. Not all of them of course, but over all I thought they were really good seasons with a lot of great episodes.
AloriaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 07:40 AM   #44
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Gotta give credit to season 7. They managed to make a Lwaxana Troi episode even more painful to watch than usual.
Old January 8 2013, 09:27 PM   #45
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Mojochi wrote: View Post
S3 The Bonding & Menage a Troi
I'm sorry, I read that as The Bondage and Menage á Trois.

Why all the hate for Dark Page? - that one made me cry for a character that turned out to be brashy on the outside yet pained inside.