Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 6 2013, 12:33 PM   #16
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

Re: why is s6 > s7 ?

I couldn't disagree more with some of the posts here - the sixth season was fantastic. "Chain of Command", "Ship in a Bottle", "Frame of Mind", "Tapestry", "Lessons", "Timescape", "Face of the Enemy", "Starship Mine", "Schisms", "Relics", "The Chase", "The Quality of Life"....even lesser shows like "Realm of Fear" or "Birthright" still had a lot of interest to them. It's just a very solid, interesting year, with very few genuine clunkers. I can't really same the same of Year 7...
I-Am-Prepared! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 12:42 PM   #17
Tosk
Rear Admiral

I-Am-Prepared! wrote: View Post
I couldn't disagree more with some of the posts here - the sixth season was fantastic.
What posts? Other than Bill, I don't recall anyone saying S6 was bad.
Tosk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 12:47 PM   #18
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

Tosk wrote: View Post
I couldn't disagree more with some of the posts here - the sixth season was fantastic.
What posts? Other than Bill, I don't recall anyone saying S6 was bad.
"Winding down"..."average"..."poor"....I wouldn't exactly call those ringing endorsements. :P
Old January 6 2013, 12:49 PM   #19
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Neither would I.

...but I believe you'll find that those words were aimed at season 7.
Old January 6 2013, 12:57 PM   #20
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Personel taste, I think the best run of episode was in the mid part of the show seasons three through five. Not saying season six and seven are bad, just that they had more average episodes.
Arpy wrote: View Post
My pure conjecture is that they lost their focus and began winding down seeing the end come. The last season seemed a little assembly line, a little dull, and a little distracted to me. I think a lot of series tend to get dull in later seasons too comfortable with themselves and having lost some of the fire and new ideas of earlier seasons. S7 had some pretty unique episodes but they sort of just fell flat with me. And some of TPTB I remember saying were distracted putting together GEN.
BillJ wrote: View Post
I thought seasons six and seven were both really poor.
Lance wrote: View Post
Chalk it up as "your milage may vary". Speaking personally, I do agree with what Tosk says above, and feel that there was definitely a broad dip in quality in the last two seasons, as if in some ways the team was becoming creatively bankrupt in terms of what they could bring to TNG. And as Bad Atom says, it is also not unrelated to DS9 just starting up. It's perfectly natural that a greater amount of the available resources were going towards the new boy rather than the established favorite.
Is any of this really relevant, however? Let's return to some substantive discussion, please...
Old January 6 2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Lance
Fleet Captain

^ In response to your accusation, I don't believe that TNG was "bad" in seasons 6 or 7, nor did I say as such in my original post. But I do believe that, yes, it had a forward momentum going in the first five seasons which was somewhat less prevalant in the final two. That's a perfectly natural state of affairs for any tv series though.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 01:52 PM   #22
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

Lance wrote: View Post
^ In response to your accusation, I don't believe that TNG was "bad" in seasons 6 or 7, nor did I say as such in my original post. But I do believe that, yes, it had a forward momentum going in the first five seasons which was somewhat less prevalant in the final two. That's a perfectly natural state of affairs for any tv series though.
I don't understand this, I never accused anyone of calling the sixth season "bad". All I did was open my post with "I couldn't disagree more with some of the posts here", given that most of the responses seemed to view the sixth season as fairly average.
Old January 6 2013, 02:11 PM   #23
Lance
Fleet Captain

I don't believe it to be completely 'average' either. It's not perfect, but there are more than enough excellent episodes in there - this is the season which gave us "The Chain of Command" two-parter, easily up there in my top Trek outings ever.

All I'm saying is... I'd argue that it's impossible for any tv series not to exhibit some> signs of tiredness by the end. Season 7 arguably even moreso than Season 6.
Old January 6 2013, 02:21 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Is any of this really relevant, however? Let's return to some substantive discussion, please...
Substantive?

I'd rather watch seasons one and two vs. seasons six and seven everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Seasons one and two had a fresher universe with more interesting characters, better direction, music and lighting.
Old January 6 2013, 02:36 PM   #25
Lance
Fleet Captain

I know it's a bit of a cliche to say it, but I absolutely love the freshness of Seasons 1 & 2, and I think the show's peak was certainly 3, 4 and 5. As I say, there were definitely some great episodes in 6 and 7, but like every tv series, the passage of time wrought a certain feeling of tiredness to proceedings. Or at least that's how it felt to me - other viewers' feelings may vary.
Old January 6 2013, 02:41 PM   #26
MacLeod
Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Personel taste, I think the best run of episode was in the mid part of the show seasons three through five. Not saying season six and seven are bad, just that they had more average episodes.

So If I think Seasons 3-5 had for example 18 great episodes 4 average and 4 bad episodes on average, and season 6 had 12 great with the rest avereage or worse. How would my statement be false. The point was not that wasn't any great episodes it was just that there where fewer of those great episodes than in S3-5.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 02:57 PM   #27
Arpy
Rear Admiral

ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!

If you DARE have a better idea for Season 7,

THEN MAKE IT SO:
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 03:04 PM   #28
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Here's one, after all these attacks on Earth in recent months, Starfleet Security along with the Human Memberworld government want the Federal government and Starfleet HQ's moved elsewhere. Picard is sent in to either keep them on earth or find another planet or station in which to house the head of the Federation government and the head of its Starfleet.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 03:05 PM   #29
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Make it so in what way?
Old January 6 2013, 03:10 PM   #30
Lance
Fleet Captain

Arpy wrote: View Post
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!

If you DARE have a better idea for Season 7,

THEN MAKE IT SO:
I propose a year-long story arc where Picard is looking for a bathroom on the Enterprise that isn't 'occupied'. Of course, in the season finale he finally learns that none of them ever really were occupied in the first place - it was simply Q warping from one to the next to the next, eager to teach Picard a valuable life lesson about self-control.

The series ends with Picard finally sitting down on the toilet, and reassuring himself that "The sky's the limit".