RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,159
Posts: 5,434,720
Members: 24,937
Currently online: 593
Newest member: bryanb2014

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 6 2013, 04:49 AM   #1
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Worst Voyager race: Farengi

I've been running through Voyager episodes for the first time since it originally aired, and out of every episode in the series (Except for the three I skipped, Threshold and the two Fair Haven eps), two stand out as by far the worst.

1. False Profit. It almost made me want to quit watching. And then I realized, when it originally aired, it made me quit Voyager for a couple weeks before coming back to it a little later in the season. If any episode makes you almost quit the entire series, twice, I think it's by far the worst episode.

2. Inside Man. Holy crap, what a bad episode. Besides the fact that it brings the farengi back to the cartoonish level of ridiculous evil they were in season one of Next Generation, it makes no sense. Durr durr I'm Janeway, I'm going to take the ship into this phenomenon that to my knowledge is a death sentence, and take it on faith that these shield improvements and inoculations work without thoroughly testing it.

After DS9 turned the farengi from something cartoonish and silly into something a little more gray and far more interesting, Voyager brings them back to the abject silliness and absurd capitalist caricature they were originally meant to be. What the heck were the writers thinking?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 08:23 AM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

They're so bad they can't even have their name spelled right?
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 10:08 AM   #3
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral
 
SonicRanger's Avatar
 
Location: Sheffield, England
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

Regarding False Profits, the director Cliff Bole gave some insights in interviews that are quoted over at Memory Alpha:

Director Cliff Bole explained, "This was the producers' attempt to get some of the little, evil Ferengi into the series because they're so well-liked and accepted by the fans. We call them the 'Peter Lorres of space,' you know? The producers wanted some lightness, some comedy." (The Official Star Trek: Voyager Magazine, issue #15)
After having directed this episode, Cliff Bole came to the opinion that he had made the installment somewhat too silly. "That one is 'Cliff's Folly,'" he said of the episode. "In fact, everyone should join in on that." Moments later, Bole remarked that this episode's level of comedy "went overboard." He continued by saying of the installment, "I don't think the studio was too happy with it, but they did get a lot of positive mail on it. It's not one of my favorites [....] It just got a little bit too silly. I'll take the hit for it, because I let everyone go a little too far. We were all enjoying the fact that it wasn't another new villainous character. And those damn Ferengi are so much fun to work with." (The Official Star Trek: Voyager Magazine, issue #15)
There's one other interesting bit of information at Memory Alpha: the writer Joe Menosky hadn't even set foot in the writers' room when he wrote the script:

This was the first episode that returning Star Trek staff writer Joe Menosky was involved in writing after a four-year stint of working and living in France, he having previously served as a staff writer on Star Trek: The Next Generation. (Star Trek Monthly issue 20) In fact, this Star Trek episode was one of several that Menosky wrote while still in Europe, prior to him joining the writing staff of Voyager for its third season. (Cinefantastique, Vol. 29, No. 6/7, p. 90)
__________________
"STAR TREK is... Action - Adventure - Science Fiction."
-- Gene Roddenberry, 1964, top of the first page of his original pitch and outline for Star Trek
SonicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

How this episode should have went.

Kim: "Scans show a ferengi shuttle pod ahead."

Janeway" Really? Ferengi? Any Life Signs?"

Kim "No."

Roll Credits.

...

Seriously.

Slingshot back in time 20 years and go through the wormhole when it still behaved back to the Barzan System. I wouldn't feel so bad if this wasn't the exact same soloution to route the conclusion of Eye of the needle too, and then again in Futures End, or even in that Episode where Janeway sold Seven of Nine to George Costanza, actually there is not a single episode, starting with and including Caretaker that couldn't have been cured by going back in time a century or more.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 11:30 AM   #5
BruntFCA
Commander
 
BruntFCA's Avatar
 
Location: A Mile High
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

Both episodes suffered from a fatal case of stupid. VOY had an annoying habit of making the characters act stupid to fit the plot, not that it was the only one (Dax in Meridian).
__________________
"Well, I come from a long, long line of smartasses. Smartass is allergic to dumbass. It’s actually a physical allergy, as in you’re repulsed by dumbasses."
Josh Homme
BruntFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 11:57 AM   #6
teacock
Admiral
 
teacock's Avatar
 
Location: teacake
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

I have forgotten Inside Man. I can't remember a thing about it

False Profits I like just fine. I am always impressed by how profit is so deeply critical to Ferengi beliefs and identity that they are willing to give up everything they ever knew just to amass profit in a place they can't spend it. Just to sit on it. Never see Ferenginar again or their families but to be HAPPY, super super happy because they have profit. They don't even get to gloat about it to other people.

Not too impressed with the dumbass star trek villagers but they are in every series, always the same.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
How this episode should have went.

Kim: "Scans show a ferengi shuttle pod ahead."

Janeway" Really? Ferengi? Any Life Signs?"

Kim "No."

Roll Credits.

...

Seriously.

Slingshot back in time 20 years and go through the wormhole when it still behaved back to the Barzan System. I wouldn't feel so bad if this wasn't the exact same soloution to route the conclusion of Eye of the needle too, and then again in Futures End, or even in that Episode where Janeway sold Seven of Nine to George Costanza, actually there is not a single episode, starting with and including Caretaker that couldn't have been cured by going back in time a century or more.
Now now lets not bring common sense into the debate.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 12:32 PM   #8
teacock
Admiral
 
teacock's Avatar
 
Location: teacake
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

Slingshotting around the sun and the failure of everyone to keep dong it has a lot to answer for.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

The kazon chased them for two years.

it would have been so easy to hide from hem 20 years earlier.

Going around Borg Space?

Going through Borg Space?

Adding 40 years to the trip or out right Suicide.

Going back in time 800 years?

Piss easy.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 12:54 PM   #10
teacock
Admiral
 
teacock's Avatar
 
Location: teacake
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

Heck everyone should go back to some dark age where no sentient races had warp drive and no super races from other galaxies were larking about in this one. Go back to the time, zip across the neutral zone, never get a ticket.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Lynx
Rear Admiral
 
Lynx's Avatar
 
Location: Lynx Empire
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

I must admit that I actually like the Ferengi and I do like "False Profits" too. Most of all because we could see what happened to those Ferengi from "The Price" and also because I think it's OK with a rather funny episode sometimes.

Not to mention that I find the parody of capitalism and greed both funny and appropriate. It reminds me of greedy people I've actually met.

And Quark is one of my all-time Trek favorites!
__________________
Who'd let that cat in here?

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

Maybe the technique is not public knowledge?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 06:49 PM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

Voyager basically proved it's easier to accidentally travel in time than it is to travel from point a to point b.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 06:52 PM   #14
Sandoval
Fleet Captain
 
Sandoval's Avatar
 
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

teacake wrote: View Post
I have forgotten Inside Man. I can't remember a thing about it
Clive Owen is hiding behind a false wall in a bank and Denzel Washington and the bad guy from Serenity are trying to find him.
__________________
Ⓢ Ⓐ Ⓝ Ⓓ Ⓞ Ⓥ Ⓐ Ⓛ
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 06:59 PM   #15
jpch
Commander
 
jpch's Avatar
 
Location: Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
Re: Worst Voyager race: Farengi

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
Regarding False Profits, the director Cliff Bole gave some insights in interviews that are quoted over at Memory Alpha:

Director Cliff Bole explained, "This was the producers' attempt to get some of the little, evil Ferengi into the series because they're so well-liked and accepted by the fans. We call them the 'Peter Lorres of space,' you know? The producers wanted some lightness, some comedy." (The Official Star Trek: Voyager Magazine, issue #15)
After having directed this episode, Cliff Bole came to the opinion that he had made the installment somewhat too silly. "That one is 'Cliff's Folly,'" he said of the episode. "In fact, everyone should join in on that." Moments later, Bole remarked that this episode's level of comedy "went overboard." He continued by saying of the installment, "I don't think the studio was too happy with it, but they did get a lot of positive mail on it. It's not one of my favorites [....] It just got a little bit too silly. I'll take the hit for it, because I let everyone go a little too far. We were all enjoying the fact that it wasn't another new villainous character. And those damn Ferengi are so much fun to work with." (The Official Star Trek: Voyager Magazine, issue #15)
There's one other interesting bit of information at Memory Alpha: the writer Joe Menosky hadn't even set foot in the writers' room when he wrote the script:

This was the first episode that returning Star Trek staff writer Joe Menosky was involved in writing after a four-year stint of working and living in France, he having previously served as a staff writer on Star Trek: The Next Generation. (Star Trek Monthly issue 20) In fact, this Star Trek episode was one of several that Menosky wrote while still in Europe, prior to him joining the writing staff of Voyager for its third season. (Cinefantastique, Vol. 29, No. 6/7, p. 90)
Thank you for the Information very nice
jpch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.