TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 4 2013, 07:19 PM   #976
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

^Sure, the themes are reused, but there are differences in detail, and it's those variations that make it interesting to me.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 04:20 AM   #977
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

Has anyone made any awesome covers for the CDs, like the ones made for the Ron Jones TNG boxset. I want to start importing this boxset into my itunes.

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 04:25 AM   #978
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

I've used the covers designed by a fella on the FSM Message Board. He made the link public for anyone who wants to use them. There are a few others out there, but I like these best.

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/S...20TOS%20covers

Here are some alternates from another poster.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9E3D1...A243CC676!3020
Old January 5 2013, 04:55 AM   #979
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
We need the cue sheets.
Dalen Quaice wrote: View Post
I think we all agree that we "need" the cue sheets.

However, that seems unlikely to happen given statements by one of the producers of the set that they were unable to obtain a license from See-BS to release the cue sheets to us because they are considered internal documents. We can obviously continue to hope that this changes...
Reconfirmed this afternoon by Jeff Bond over on the FSM forums:
yes, there are cue sheets for all the episodes but those are internal Paramount documents and not to be distributed publicly.
I suppose the next step for anybody looking to recompile scores is to rip the mono broadcast audio from the Blu-ray discs...supposedly the remixed soundtracks, including the Blu-ray's 7.1 and the DVD's 5.1 mixes have a few incorrect cues that have existed for years now.

Of course, if any enterprising souls have the TOS laserdiscs and the ability to acquire the audio, that would be the ideal source for comparison, as that's what (I think it was) Neil talked about using to check what went where when compiling the set.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 08:05 PM   #980
The Warlord
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Yes, in the episode the fight music does resume abruptly - there is no pause as heard on the GNP release. I happened to have this episode handy to check.
This is something worth noting as a whole on the set. Whilst the cues are presented as in the episodes they were made for, some are joined together, as they were in their intended episodes, as opposed to being 'clean'. The original Where No Man Has Gone Before soundtrack release had Force Field and Silver Orbs (Season 1, Disc 1, Track 20) as their original separate tracks (which, for instance, meant we could hear the full end of Force Field, as in The Lights of Zetar teaser). I also suspect the Starship Party cue in Is There In Truth No Beauty? (the last cue in Season 3, Disc 4, Track 2) was probably recorded as 'clean', because it's used 'clean' in several Enterprise orbit shots in other season three episodes such as The Mark Of Gideon, whereas in the set it is merged with the previous I Must Know cue as in the episode. In some ways, the set does present the 'edited' cues as opposed to totally 'clean' ones, since even in their intended episodes, merging and adjusting went on, and the set seems to follow this through for a few cues. My theory on the latter cue is speculation, of course, since the original ITITNB music has not been released before now.
The Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 09:50 PM   #981
Christopher
Writer

^Yeah, I noticed that. I would've rather had clean, isolated cues all the way through (aside from leaving in the important "sweeteners" like that powerful cello sting when Miramanee dies).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 05:24 AM   #982
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

^Disappointing.
Dalen Quaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 06:12 AM   #983
BeatleJWOL
Captain

These things happen. Had the cues all been released clean, you would have had arguably more people complaining that it didn't match the episode exactly.
Old January 6 2013, 06:18 AM   #984
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

^In that case, you should have both versions... then no complaints.
Old January 6 2013, 06:21 AM   #985
BeatleJWOL
Captain

I like the way you think.

So do the lawyery types who earn piles'o'money when you have the same piece twice on a record release, which of course passes the buck onto the consumer. Sadly.
Old January 6 2013, 06:43 AM   #986
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

^LA LA Land should issue a bonus disc or discs with the complete cues, stings, overdubs and an apology for their lack of inclusion in an otherwise complete set. As is, the set has been falsely advertised. People (like me) bought the set based on the marketing and are disappointed. I wish I could return mine as everyday I am even more disappointed as I get deeper into the set. Sorry, but that is how I feel.
Old January 6 2013, 06:45 AM   #987
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Dalen Quaice wrote: View Post
^In that case, you should have both versions... then no complaints.
Having even more CDs with duplicate tracks, resulting in a higher cost just to have two different edits would cause no complaints? No, that would be even worse. Honestly, I would have preferred to keep the cues separate. Those who wanted to combine them could, very easily. Much more easily than have clean edits the other way. However, as an album just for listening, I can see why they chose to recreate how it sounded in the episodes.

Sadly, there would always be complaints, no matter how the set came out.
Old January 6 2013, 07:41 AM   #988
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

The Warlord wrote: View Post
...as opposed to being 'clean'. The original Where No Man Has Gone Before soundtrack release had Force Field and Silver Orbs (Season 1, Disc 1, Track 20) as their original separate tracks (which, for instance, meant we could hear the full end of Force Field, as in The Lights of Zetar teaser).
Well now wait, does that make sense? IndySolo reiterated over and over, that they used the original takes from the recording sessions; and that he used the laserdiscs to confirm which take was actually used in the episode(s). So then theoretically there would be no cues that were later assembled via editing, with only a couple of exceptions, like adding the cello sweetener to Miramanee's Death.

That would indicate that Force Field and Silver Orbs were actually performed together during the Where No Man recording session, running into each other without a break, as heard on the set. Wouldn't it? We keep talking as if there are "original separate tracks", but I don't see why that assumption needs to be true. There may be none, except for alternate takes during rehearsal/recording.

And then if there's a different version of Force Field heard in Lights of Zetar, there should be a corresponding third season library cue in the set. (Unless Courage reworked it into a cue in the Enterprise Incident or Plato's Stepchildren scores.)
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 07:53 AM   #989
BeatleJWOL
Captain

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
Well now wait, does that make sense? IndySolo reiterated over and over, that they used the original takes from the recording sessions; and that he used the laserdiscs to confirm which take was actually used in the episode(s). So then theoretically there would be no cues that were later assembled via editing, with only a couple of exceptions, like adding the cello sweetener to Miramanee's Death.

That would indicate that Force Field and Silver Orbs were actually performed together during the Where No Man recording session, running into each other without a break, as heard on the set. Wouldn't it? We keep talking as if there are "original separate tracks", but I don't see why that assumption needs to be true. There may be none, except for alternate takes during rehearsal/recording.
A very good point. There's no "mixing" credit in the liner notes, just "Digital Transfers", "Audio Restoration", "Digital Mastering" and "Additional Engineering". Has Mike Matessino posted on here or on the FSM forums?
Old January 6 2013, 08:37 AM   #990
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

My money is on Neil as the "editor/mixer"... I wager 5000 quatloos!

Maybe if he ever comes in here again, we can find out. At any rate, apparently a lot of what was reiterated over and over was not entirely accurate... and that really grates on me. What I don't understand is why bother to make up a bunch of crap just to tick people off ultimately? Why? Just a money grab to sell discs? I hope not...