Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 4 2013, 05:07 PM   #31
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: I started watching Babylon 5 for the first real time

RandyS wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Another one who liked both. Though CH4 the network that aired it in the UK sometimes played a bit loose with the schedule. I think when S4 it had 21 time slot/day changes. (out of 22 episodes).
Yea, the WB stations apparently did that alot too, going so far as to air it at the wee hours of the morning even (Fortunately my station had a stable time slot and day).
Really? Were you not living in Sacramento back then? I was (and still do), and remember that ch. 31 had a TV guide listing for the show at something like 3:30am Sunday mornings. I faithfully recorded (on VHS) that hour every week for two years, and it was the same thing every time: the last half hour of a movie, and an infomerical. After that, I gave up. I was convinced that the series was either a hoax, or a lie, because nothing beyond "The Gathering" had ever been aired, and that was shown in prime time here in early 1993.

It wasn't until 1998, when TNT started to air the fifth season, as well as the reruns of the first four, that I discovered this show that I had been hearing good things about, but never actually saw (other than the pilot five years back) actually existed.

Suffice it to say, THAT'S when I became a fan.
I was living in Sunnyvale in the Bay Area at the time, so, I was watching on Ch44, which became UPN (And I guess is now CW).

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:24 PM   #32
Bisz
Rear Admiral

Welcome aboard. B5 is one of my favourite shows, stick with it and you'll get a lot out of it.

By the way, I had no idea that Michael O'Hare died.
Old January 4 2013, 06:32 PM   #33
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Bisz wrote: View Post

By the way, I had no idea that Michael O'Hare died.
Yeah, in September. A heart attack.
Old January 4 2013, 07:32 PM   #34
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I like how we are on page three and I just watched the 7th episode. At this pace there will be 55 pages before the end.

It was the episode in which humans wanted the aliens gone. I can actually see this happening whenever we find intelligent life out there. People never react well to change.
Old January 5 2013, 08:01 AM   #35
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Looking forward to your thoughts on "Signs and Portents".

Which, btw is also the "season title".

Each B5 season had an overall title. You know you are in for something BIG when you get to the ep of the same name.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 03:24 PM   #36
inflatabledalek
Captain

Neroon wrote: View Post
"The Gathering" didn't strike me as being bad at all - just different from your regular space-based TV show. It did need some technical work - as was plain when it went back into the so for awhile, but the basics had substance.
What kills it for me; other that the badly done exposition; is the murder plot makes no sense...

Old January 5 2013, 06:35 PM   #37
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post

Each B5 season had an overall title. You know you are in for something BIG when you get to the ep of the same name.
I have to make it there. I started watching the 8th episode in which some people are in Sinclair's mind. I was so bored I went to bed.
Old January 5 2013, 07:08 PM   #38
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post

I have to make it there. I started watching the 8th episode in which some people are in Sinclair's mind. I was so bored I went to bed.
And The Sky Full of Stars bored you? That was the first episode that really showed me how deep B5 was going to be in mystery and Mythology and totally had me hooked

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:55 PM   #39
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I didn't get far into the episode I just went "Oh look, the mind-reading mandate for all sci-fi shows episode" and stopped caring. It just feels so over done by now (even though this was done before it was overdone) that I couldn't watch it last night.
Old January 5 2013, 08:35 PM   #40
Jan
Commodore

I didn't get far into the episode I just went "Oh look, the mind-reading mandate for all sci-fi shows episode" and stopped caring. It just feels so over done by now (even though this was done before it was overdone) that I couldn't watch it last night.
You might want to give it another try. It's a pretty important episide and changes one relationship considerably.

I had somewhat the same reaction back in the day except for me it was 'oh, look, the main guy gets captured'. But it turns out to be well done.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 08:55 PM   #41
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I' going to watch it, it's just the first episode I went "Nah, I don't want to watch this right now".
Old January 6 2013, 01:05 AM   #42
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Slightly off topic but to inverse your sentiments regarding that episode I thought I'd share a funny story.

Back in about '99 I was involved in a social club and had quite a large amount of acquaintances. I slowly started introducing them to the recently concluded B5. I gave them S1 with the caveat that it started very slowly but built as time went on and the usual, "Something that could seem VERY insignificant early on MAY change the universe later in the show, yada yada yada".

With the first couple of people I saw something interesting happen. By the time they got to "Chrysallis"(S1 finale), they were HOOKED and were BEGGING for more. I started an interesting bet with future viewers and myself. I told the next lot of viewers/victims that if they got to the end of the first season and didn't want anymore, I'd give them $100. A few days later, without fail they were on the phone and asking when they could come get the next lot of tapes(this was '99 remember?).

For each new set of people, I upped the amount by $100.00. I eventually ran out of potential viewers when I got to $800, which was probably for the best.

Either way, I look forward to YOUR reaction and thoughts by the time you get to the season 1 cliffhanger! I normally don't participate in the seemingly endless amount of these "I have seen the light and guess what, B5 is actually good!!!1!"(ummmmm, yeah, we know)threads started by every n00b that can scare up a login name and password, but, like me, you have been here for a long time and I can respect your thoughts on the show.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 01:37 AM   #43
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I can see that it's going to be good, I know that. It's just this one episode started and I was like "Ugh... mind reading / controlling episode". I'll get around to watching it, probably tonight, I just don't like mind episodes.

Plus it was reminding me of the TNG episode which Crusher was all alone. That is never a good thing!!!
Old January 6 2013, 02:58 AM   #44
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Jan wrote: View Post
You might want to give it another try. It's a pretty important episide and changes one relationship considerably.

I had somewhat the same reaction back in the day except for me it was 'oh, look, the main guy gets captured'. But it turns out to be well done.

Jan
B5's handling of telepaths was enjoyable and the Earth society's response to telepaths was more believable than in Trek for my money.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 07:41 AM   #45
JoeD80
Captain

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
And why doesn't the assassin react to seeing [Kosh]
The Minbari know who the Vorlons are.

It's just this one episode started and I was like "Ugh... mind reading / controlling episode". I'll get around to watching it, probably tonight, I just don't like mind episodes.
That's not really what "And the Sky Full of Stars" is about; it's about Sinclair's character, and some background information that is revealed. The mind-reading stuff is just a delivery system for the meat of the story.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote