Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 5 2013, 08:43 AM   #31
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: Atlas Shrugged

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
If you're a conservative, yes, both installments so far have been very good.

If you voted for Obama and think Occupy Wall Street had a point, no, it sucked.
Uh oh. I voted for Obama and think Occupy Wall Street was poorly organized, ineffective, and lacked a clear direction or concise goals. Please tell me what I should think about Atlas Shrugged, Admiral 2! I don't know which box in your extremely limited worldview I should fit in to. Also, how do my political views effect my appreciation of Cloud Atlas, since there seems to be some overlap?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 02:50 PM   #32
Robert D. Robot
Captain

xortex wrote: View Post
Was this a good movie?

It seems that if you are someone on the FAR Right, desperate to grasp ANYthing that supports/glorifies your point of view (Also see: "Obama's Birth Certificate is a Fake" and "Obama is a Muslim who brings his dog along on trips in a separate plane" (Yes, I was lucky enough to have THAT interesting discussion with a relative over Christmas!!...)), you probably thought that this movie was great.

If you are one of many on the FAR Left, you wouldn't have needed to have seen the movie in order to have decided for yourself that it was a piece of steaming crap.

On the other hand, as Mirrorball Man has stated, the majority of people without an agenda who simply went in to see a movie thought it was quite lacking.

Last edited by Robert D. Robot; January 5 2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: substituted a 'better' word
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 03:15 PM   #33
scnj
Captain

I think the funniest thing to me is that there's a movie in 2012 about how trains will save the economy. Trains.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 03:20 PM   #34
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Listen to 'City of New Orleans' often enough...
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 03:20 PM   #35
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I actually think trains COULD help the economy, but I doubt I think it in the same way Rand did.
Old January 5 2013, 03:23 PM   #36
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

scnj wrote: View Post
I think the funniest thing to me is that there's a movie in 2012 about how trains will save the economy. Trains.
High speed rail is doing wonders in China. Of course most of it was constructed by the government from force technology transfers. I doubt the Randians or their Goddess would be very excited by that.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 03:45 PM   #37
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

In the next couple of decades, I think some parts of the world are going to regret that they haven't invested more in train infrastructure.
Old January 5 2013, 04:09 PM   #38
stj
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
High speed rail is doing wonders in China. Of course most of it was constructed by the government from force technology transfers. I doubt the Randians or their Goddess would be very excited by that.
Ayn Rand was a writer. That means copyright was her bread and butter, which meant that her philosophy/economics/politics put supreme emphasis on intellectual property laws, even though economic history reveals the key role played by the spread of technology despite such laws. The notion that capitalism is perfect holds no water where her checkbook was concerned, though. That's why her characters were drawn as actually doing "creative" work, even though the number of inventors who got rich is minuscule.
Old January 5 2013, 06:43 PM   #39
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

stj wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Ayn Rand was a writer. That means copyright was her bread and butter, which meant that her philosophy/economics/politics put supreme emphasis on intellectual property laws, even though economic history reveals the key role played by the spread of technology despite such laws. The notion that capitalism is perfect holds no water where her checkbook was concerned, though. That's why her characters were drawn as actually doing "creative" work, even though the number of inventors who got rich is minuscule.
"She was full of hypocritical bullshit" is a much shorter sentence to type, and just as accurate.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:00 PM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

arch101 wrote: View Post
Forget the film. But, you should read the book before it's banned.
Seriously? You really think it's going to be banned?

You can buy erotica in Wal-Mart now. I think book banning's gone out of style--except for the crazy folks who try to yank Harry Potter out of school libraries or whatever.
Old January 5 2013, 07:52 PM   #41
stj
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
"She was full of hypocritical bullshit" is a much shorter sentence to type, and just as accurate.
Yes, but...it's not precise. Why should anyone care what I say if I don't say what was BS, or why it was hypocritical? I daresay there are implications in my avatar that most people are not interested in nor political enough to pick up on. But it would be remarkable if there was any interpretation that make my disapproval of Ayn Rand noteworthy. Unless I spelled it out a little.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
arch101 wrote: View Post
Forget the film. But, you should read the book before it's banned.

Seriously? You really think it's going to be banned?

You can buy erotica in Wal-Mart now....

Christians firmly believe that they are being persecuted, that even Christmas is under attack. And that's just a specific subset of the conservative mentality. Yes, very likely he/she is very serious. Books are not banned, however, they just don't get mass distribution or stay in print. Of course, that's always because of market forces.

Fortunately for Objectivists, the definition of "market forces" is rather elastic.

Each student admitted to the University of Georgia's Terry College of Business will get a free copy of the Ayn Rand novel "Atlas Shrugged," thanks to a 10-year, $1.5 million grant from BB&T Corp.

The grant will pay for more than fiction, however. The college will use about half the $150,000 annual donation to develop new coursework that will show undergraduate students the historical foundations of capitalism, how the economic system is viewed today and its future prospects.

http://forums.4aynrandfans.com/index...howtopic=11834

Old January 5 2013, 08:59 PM   #42
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Also, how do my political views effect my appreciation of Cloud Atlas, since there seems to be some overlap?
That's affect, not effect.
Old January 5 2013, 09:34 PM   #43
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Please come to Seattle and talk to the people who want to spend hundreds of millions on a light rail system that will carry only a few thousand people a day.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 09:40 PM   #44
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Actually, rail has been making a comeback (especially in cargo shipping). As much as people want to mock that, I think the terrible writing and poor message is much easier to mock.
Old January 5 2013, 10:23 PM   #45
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

And if you just happen to be a lover of cinema, you'll realize that those were terrible movies.
Nobody watched or critiqued these movies as just "a lover of cinema." You're deluding yourself if you think your politics had nothing to do with your opinion.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote