Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 5 2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Thoughts on "Descent"

I just watched "Descent 1 & 2" for the first time in over ten years. At first there were a few nitpicky things I noticed, like why are the episode's cast and director credits in the teaser before the main title, instead of after?

Then, Data asks Geordi to help him override holodeck safety protocols to perform what is essentially a live-fire training exercise, but LaForge refuses. Are two officers also required to disable protocols for simple athletic or sports exercises?

When the Borg invade the bridge, it sure is lucky for us that Riker is only briefly stunned instead of seriously injured or killed in the aggressive firefight.

But in Part 2, I stopped making notes as I got drawn into Brent Spiner's performance. There's a third character he's playing that we never notice. It's the Conflicted Data, halfway between the extremes of Data and Lore, and there are behavioral traits from both in him. Spiner manages to keep all three versions distinct.
Old January 5 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Thoughts on "Descent"

Melakon wrote: View Post
I just watched "Descent 1 & 2" for the first time in over ten years. At first there were a few nitpicky things I noticed, like why are the episode's cast and director credits in the teaser before the main title, instead of after?
They had the credits in the teaser because they did not want credits rolling in the middle of a firefight, which is what happened just after the titles.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Mojochi
Fleet Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
Then, Data asks Geordi to help him override holodeck safety protocols to perform what is essentially a live-fire training exercise, but LaForge refuses.
I think My favorite thing about Data is that only two episodes after this story is resolved, Geordi places Data in the exact same position, during "Interface", by wanting to endanger himself with his link to the probe

Data objects, but ultimately supports Geordi. Geordi should think back on how he wouldn't help Data in Descent, & feel like crap
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:49 PM   #4
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I read an awesome fanfic years back, the title of which I can't recall, alas, set many years after these eps, in which Lore had been sucessful. It was essentially about how a band of beleagured humans send one of their number back to stop Data and Lore getting together.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Data objects, but ultimately supports Geordi. Geordi should think back on how he wouldn't help Data in Descent
Georgi has feelings for Data, truthfully Data has none for Geordi.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 09:07 PM   #6
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I'm kind of surprised the renegade Borg didn't have personal shields anymore. But then again, they had built-in weapons the normal Borg don't have. Their costumes were also different for easier movement compared to the usual Borg outfit.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 09:46 PM   #7
MikeS
Fleet Captain

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I read an awesome fanfic years back, the title of which I can't recall, alas, set many years after these eps, in which Lore had been sucessful. It was essentially about how a band of beleagured humans send one of their number back to stop Data and Lore getting together.
The Terminator?
Old January 8 2013, 10:35 PM   #8
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I did like that they brought back James Horan to once again be a naysayer about the metaphasic shields.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Mott the barber
Commodore

It's been years since I've seen these so at this point I think I'll wait for the remastered versions. They were good, but not great, Borg episodes.

I like when they deactivated Lore for the last time...kind of emotional even though he was a horrible "person."
Old January 9 2013, 09:13 PM   #10
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
The Terminator?
Now you mention it, it does sound like the plot of The Terminator. I recall now it was called In the Shadow of the Sun.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 04:26 AM   #11
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

I never understood that holodeck scene. Data tells Geordi that since the holodeck safeties are on, "I know my life is not in danger," or words to that effect. But Geordi still refuses to help him, as though Data could be injured or destroyed. So which is it? I thought that when holodeck safeties were on, you couldn't be injured.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 05:38 AM   #12
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Data wanted to disable the safety protocols, which required consent of two officers. Maybe Geordi just thought Data was nuts trying to summon up the emotional experience again by repeatedly "killing" Borg proxies.
Old January 22 2013, 05:56 AM   #13
JeffJedi
Cadet

I just want to know what happened to Lore after this.
JeffJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 06:17 AM   #14
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Dismantled, most likely.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 06:27 AM   #15
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

What happened to Lore? He was disassembled. End of story.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote