Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 5 2013, 06:31 AM   #451
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Well, it's more in line with my own personal taste of what constitutes great science-fiction than the direction Abrams is taking things with Into Darkness.

They've even found a way of getting the characters out of uniform. No doubt because the TOS uniforms are seen as too nerdy and they wanna aim for that wider audience . Honestly, it feels like this film is doing just about anything possible to distance itself from resembling Star Trek.

Which has, if I am to believe people in this thread, been entirely terrible since TNG because the following shows got low ratings. Even though TOS got cancelled because of it's shit ratings faster than ENT did. Even though TOS only became the popular phenomena it is because of the dedicated geek fanbase we're now supposed to pretend don't matter just to tow the studio line.

Yeah, apparently our opinions matter less than some popcorn guzzling casual that can maybe vaguely remember "Dr. Spock" dying in Wrath of Khan because there's less of us. Brilliant.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:07 AM   #452
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Well, it's more in line with my own personal taste of what constitutes great science-fiction than the direction Abrams is taking things with Into Darkness.

They've even found a way of getting the characters out of uniform. No doubt because the TOS uniforms are seen as too nerdy and they wanna aim for that wider audience . Honestly, it feels like this film is doing just about anything possible to distance itself from resembling Star Trek.

Which has, if I am to believe people in this thread, been entirely terrible since TNG because the following shows got low ratings. Even though TOS got cancelled because of it's shit ratings faster than ENT did. Even though TOS only became the popular phenomena it is because of the dedicated geek fanbase we're now supposed to pretend don't matter just to tow the studio line.

Yeah, apparently our opinions matter less than some popcorn guzzling casual that can maybe vaguely remember "Dr. Spock" dying in Wrath of Khan because there's less of us. Brilliant.
Roddenberry was more that happy to drop the TOS uniforms in TMP. OTOH, the Abrams team actually brought them back and are using them in the film. Not for every scene but they are there, just as they were in ST09. Showing a variety of uniforms and costumes isn't a bad thing. TOS had several variations and we saw the crew out of uniform from time to time. The movies did the same thing. You're trying way to hard to find things to complain about.

As I and others have said before, Star Trek is a lot of things and the previous film and this one has used several of those things. I can't speak for others in this thread, but I'm a fan of most of Star Trek. TOS and DS9 are my favorite TV incarnations, while TWOK, TVH and ST09 are my favorite films. People aren't saying Trek was terrible, just that the rating started sliding after TNG. That's a fact. It's not a reflection on what ever quality those incarnations of Star Trek may have, but of diminishing popularity.

TOS became popular because people liked it, not because of some geek minority. The movies also became popular because a wide variety of people went to see them, not just a geek minority. TNG became popular because a wide variety of people watched it. You need to understand this and acceptrd it. New Star Trek will only be produced if it is successful with a wide variety of people. So no, our opinions do not matter. And just because you like certain aspects of Star Trek ( real or imagined) it doesn't make you more intelligent, culturally superior or sophisticated than someone who has a different opinion or is a "casual".
Old January 5 2013, 07:21 AM   #453
Kevin W.
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.

Well said, especially considering the stated desire of the staff to distance themselves from the previous productions with regards to the title.
Old January 5 2013, 07:23 AM   #454
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Kevin W. wrote: View Post

Well said, especially considering the stated desire of the staff to distance themselves from the previous productions with regards to the title.
What?
Old January 5 2013, 07:57 AM   #455
Kevin W.
Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
What?
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168...omic-con.jhtml

With numbers off the table, there's always the trusty colon, but Lindelof said they want to steer away from that trend. "There's no word that comes after the colon after 'Star Trek' that's cool," he said. "Not that 'Star Trek: Insurrection' or 'First Contact' aren't good titles, it's just that everything that people are turned off about when it comes to 'Trek' is represented by the colon."
It's an absolutely absurd argument but it's par for the course for Abrams, Lindelof and Co.
Old January 5 2013, 08:07 AM   #456
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Sorry, we hashed out the colon controversy months ago. Whats absurd, is taking everything that comes out of there mouths as deadly serious.
Old January 5 2013, 08:22 AM   #457
Kevin W.
Commander

Sorry for feeling offended when the producers of the film see me as the type of person who should be looked down upon.
Old January 5 2013, 09:12 AM   #458
Devon
Fleet Captain

Sorry for feeling offended when the producers of the film see me as the type of person who should be looked down upon.
Which they have not done. They do not know you, nor have they mentioned "Kevin W." in interviews.
Old January 5 2013, 09:47 AM   #459
Kevin W.
Commander

Obviously I wasn't talking about myself specifically. Don't be ridiculous.
Old January 5 2013, 11:34 AM   #460
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
What?
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/168...omic-con.jhtml

With numbers off the table, there's always the trusty colon, but Lindelof said they want to steer away from that trend. "There's no word that comes after the colon after 'Star Trek' that's cool," he said. "Not that 'Star Trek: Insurrection' or 'First Contact' aren't good titles, it's just that everything that people are turned off about when it comes to 'Trek' is represented by the colon."
It's an absolutely absurd argument but it's par for the course for Abrams, Lindelof and Co.
He's right. One of the film's considered titles (and the one they're using in Russia) is Star Trek: Vengeance which sounds like just another Trek sequel. Star Trek Into Darkness sounds like they're doing something a little different.
DalekJim wrote:
They've even found a way of getting the characters out of uniform. No doubt because the TOS uniforms are seen as too nerdy and they wanna aim for that wider audience .
Honestly, it feels like this film is doing just about anything possible to distance itself from resembling Star Trek.
Remember the poster for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, which had "THE VOYAGE HOME" in huge letters with a tiny "star trek iv" underneath it, AND Kirk and Spock in civvies? Clearly they were ashamed of Star Trek as well!
Old January 5 2013, 03:34 PM   #461
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

You really need to let go of TNG expectations/comparisons when judging Abrams films, because they are TOS Era films, they are not supposed to be compared to TNG. If you prefer TNG to TOS, that's understandable, it's your era, but, expecting Abrams films to conform to TNG era is a very strange decision indeed.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 03:53 PM   #462
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Star Trek Into Darkness sounds like they're doing something a little different.
I've always disliked any of the Star Trek: titles (I much prefer the serial 'The..' titles) but Star Trek Into Darkness sounds like a Broadway show.

Plus, it has Star Trekin' in it.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 04:54 PM   #463
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
Star Trek Into Darkness sounds like they're doing something a little different.
I've always disliked any of the Star Trek: titles (I much prefer the serial 'The..' titles) but Star Trek Into Darkness sounds like a Broadway show.

Plus, it has Star Trekin' in it.
Well, I suppose a Broadway show could be made out of "Star Trekkin' Across the Universe" -- and it could even feature Beatles songs (e.g., "Across the Universe")

"Star Trekkin' to Darkness"
would be the obvious Broadway Sequel, and could feature Spider Man.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 05:02 PM   #464
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Obviously I wasn't talking about myself specifically. Don't be ridiculous.
How are they "looking down on you"? Because they aren't tailoring the film to fit a very narrow demographic of Star Trek fans who have historically been shown to be unable to support a successful film or series. You guys are the ones who show constant disdain for any one who deviates from your narrow definition of "Star Trek" and used pejorative language to describe them.
Old January 5 2013, 05:40 PM   #465
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
That's my own unscientific impression as well: that a good number (most?) of the fans who have issues with the movie are of the TNG generation, as opposed to us old-school TOS types. And, yes, I've grumbled in the past about people applying "TNG standards" to a movie based on TOS.
Meh, I'm 24 and while I like TNG, I like TOS more so I liked the new movie.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote