New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 5 2013, 04:17 AM   #1
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

2024 is only a decade away -- are you a gimme, or a dim?

We're coming up on 2024. Sanctuaries in every city are just around the corner, anybody who doesn't have money and is in desperate need is about to be herded into a walled off district.

So what side are you on? Are you a gimme, a dim, or are you a privileged person with a good job, thinking all the gimmes and dims belong there?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: 2024 is only a decade away -- are you a gimme, or a dim?

Chances are, whichever one you'll be you already are right now.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:54 AM   #3
robau
Lieutenant Commander

God I can't wait for all the trash to be moved out of my view.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
... or are you a privileged person with a good job ...
Well it not really a matter of being "privileged," having a job and being able to handle your own affairs just makes you a normal everyday person.

My father was a jet engine mechanic and later in management. But he alway maintain a commercial drivers license (truck driver) just in case he ever was out of work in his primary field. That way he would be able to care for his family without taking handouts.

Seattle does not have sanctuaries in the form seen in the episode, but the homeless are encouraged by the city police to stay in certain areas. We have a "tent city" too.

I have worked in church volunteer kitchens and you could alway tell which of the homeless guys were going to get back up on their feet in a short period of time, taking charity made their skins crawl. They would look at the jobs board before coming for the food.

Many of the people in the Trek sanctuaries would have been individuals with substance abuse and psychological problems. And there would be people who simply don't want to provide for themselves. But there would also be people for whom the sanctuary would be a brief stop, a place to catch their breath, before re-entering normal society.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I was reading a few weeks ago about how the police have made an area where they're going to hide all the drunks and beggars from the tourists every evening. Pretty awesome episodes, especially with the way society is moving.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 05:14 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I like how the mindset today is that being able to provide for yourself and not mooch off others makes you "privileged"... just shows what direction our society is heading in.
Old January 5 2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
I like how the mindset today is that being able to provide for yourself and not mooch off others makes you "privileged"... just shows what direction our society is heading in.
Sadly, you're indeed quite privileged if you have a dependable job and self-sufficiency. Suddenly losing your job when the company goes under and then being unable to find a new one for months is extremely common, at least over here. After graduation it took me a year to find any work at all; I finally got a job only for the company to go under a few months later. The shop where I performed my voluntary work went under too. The store managers from both took months to find new work, and they (naturally) had far more experience than I. And for the younger generation, living out of the parent's house (council house in my case) is a necessity, not a choice. I don't know if it's different in the US, but from what I've heard I don't think it is. Self sufficiency is, sadly, a distant dream for a lot of people. That said, I consider myself rather fortunate in that my family do receive benefits, I live with my mother so I have guaranteed housing regardless, and there are graduate programs in place that (hopefully) will help me find work, and maybe even work suited to my level of qualification, if I'm lucky. In many cases, people both work and receive benefits, because neither a salary or benefits alone can support them.

Providing for yourself is indeed a "privilege", one many of us look forward to with great anticipation...assuming we ever get there. After all, being from a working class background means you're surrounded by people who never achieved it, despite many of them working hard their entire lives.
Old January 5 2013, 06:36 PM   #8
iguana_tonante
Admiral

You are of course correct. But not in the way you think you are.

Working isn't a privilege. It's a right.
Old January 5 2013, 07:04 PM   #9
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I'm a dim gimme.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:16 PM   #10
robau
Lieutenant Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Seattle does not have sanctuaries in the form seen in the episode, but the homeless are encouraged by the city police to stay in certain areas. We have a "tent city" too.
I recently read about Portland having this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dignity_Village
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 07:17 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
You are of course correct. But not in the way you think you are.

Working isn't a privilege. It's a right.
Sure it's a right. Everyone has the right to go out and get a job. It gets silly when people start thinking they should have jobs handed to them on a platter.
Old January 5 2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Avon
Fleet Captain

a decade is 10 years. 2024 is 11 years away.

can we pospone this thread for a year?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 08:22 PM   #13
E-DUB
Captain

Well, 2024 is when the ep was set, but the districts were an esablished fact by then. We have a lot of factors at work here, demography and changing economics principally. You have a lot of people who have been working in certain industries all their live that all of a sudden are disappearing. It's not just that their jobs are gone, but that the entire range of jobs for which they're qualified are gone. Any useful retraining program takes longer than unemployment lasts. And then there is the reality of age discrimination. People who are too young to retire but too old to start over. And politicians talk about "raising the retirement age" as if it were no more involved than adjusting the thermostat.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 08:41 PM   #14
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Providing for yourself is indeed a "privilege"
I would have to disagree, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that providing for yourself is a personal choice, or a personal philosophy. The willingness to do it.

There no "special right or advantage" involved. When I started at a package delivery service, I possessed a drivers license and no experience. I told them I could start immediately and was working there the same day.

About a year and a half ago, in a conversation with a young homeless man, I mention that in the eastern section of the state the harvest was starting. I was curtly informed that such work was beneath him, and that he had a MBA.

Fast food is usually hiring, and (if you're under 26 years) the military is alway recruiting.

It's not about being privileged, it's about not being "picky."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 09:51 PM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Providing for yourself is indeed a "privilege"
I would have to disagree, perhaps it would be more accurate to say that providing for yourself is a personal choice, or a personal philosophy. The willingness to do it.

There no "special right or advantage" involved. When I started at a package delivery service, I possessed a drivers license and no experience. I told them I could start immediately and was working there the same day.

About a year and a half ago, in a conversation with a young homeless man, I mention that in the eastern section of the state the harvest was starting. I was curtly informed that such work was beneath him, and that he had a MBA.

Fast food is usually hiring, and (if you're under 26 years) the military is alway recruiting.

It's not about being privileged, it's about not being "picky."