TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 5 2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Procutus
Admiral

Harrison in the Prime Universe

I apologize in advance if this has already been touched upon somewhere, or if Orci has made any comments about it. It occured to me that since Harrison is a such a powerful, Bad-Ass Bad-Guy who's going to have an impact on the Abramsverse, what is his counterpart like in the Prime Universe? This is assuming, of course, that he does exist in the original timeline, and that he wasn't killed before he had a chance to be... Whatever John Harrison is.

But since he appears to be Starfleet in this reality, I'm guessing he'd most likely be in Starfleet in the Prime. I realize this is a lot like the whole issue with Archer's Enterprise never being mentioned in TOS because of when the show was made, but there's always room for in-universe speculation.
Old January 5 2013, 03:33 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Harrison in the Prime Universe

Well, Into Darkness still takes place roughly six years prior to the bulk of TOS. So he could've been a major player in a similar incident in the Prime Timeline, just a different group of people dealt with it.
Old January 5 2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Tosk
Rear Admiral

We won't really be able to answer this 'til the film comes out any way. There are so many variables we can't easily hypothesize about until we know what his deal is.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 10:04 AM   #4
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

He's a technician on the Enterprise in the Prime Universe:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Harrison
Old January 5 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Tosk
Rear Admiral

^Nah, his first name is Bruce. Or Jerry.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
F. King Daniel
Admiral

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
He's a technician on the Enterprise in the Prime Universe:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Harrison
Although I really do like the idea of a competent but unspectacular officer somehow becoming an unstoppable one-man war machine in another life, I don't think TOS's Harrison and ID's John Harrison are meant to be the same guy. I'm half-expecting John Harrison to be revealed as Khan or a Starfleet-bred Augment, either found and thawed or created shortly after the initial timeline disruption 26 years before.

I want to know if Starfleet or the Enterprise saved Nibiru from the erupting supervolcano in the prime universe! I'll be scouring future TOS novels for an offhand mention somewhere.
Old January 5 2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Procutus
Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I'm half-expecting John Harrison to be revealed as Khan or a Starfleet-bred Augment, either found and thawed or created shortly after the initial timeline disruption 26 years before.

I want to know if Starfleet or the Enterprise saved Nibiru from the erupting supervolcano in the prime universe! I'll be scouring future TOS novels for an offhand mention somewhere.

I really don't want him to be Khan, but I like your second idea. The problem with him being Khan, as I see it, is that from all appearances Harrison is in fact a rogue SF officer. For him to be Khan, SF would've had to have found the Botany Bay a couple of years prior to the events of the first movie and then somehow convince Khan to join. It's possible, but I like the idea of him being a totally new character.

And like you, I'll probably be looking at future TOS novels for references to Nibiru as well.

Old January 5 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

John Harrison is probably a pseudonym. He could be anybody - not necessarily anyone we met in the prime timeline who's named Harrison.

Me, I think he's either Garth of Izar or Gary Mitchell.
Old January 5 2013, 09:11 PM   #9
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If he was Mitchell, wouldn't Kirk recognize him?
Old January 5 2013, 09:30 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Why? Kirk went to the Academy three or four years later than he did in the Prime Timeline.
Old January 5 2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
John Harrison is probably a pseudonym. He could be anybody - not necessarily anyone we met in the prime timeline who's named Harrison.

Me, I think he's either Garth of Izar or Gary Mitchell.
If it is a pseudonym...then why make him Garth or Mitchell in the first place?
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 10:39 PM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Well, that alternate universe story isn't thought through. Any sort of big villain would almost certainly have operated in the Prime universe as well.

Yet I still think Harrison is Gary Mitchell, as in a guy named Harrisom who went to the edge of the galaxy and, just like Mitchell, developed new powers. They play with that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 10:58 PM   #13
Oso Blanco
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Why? Kirk went to the Academy three or four years later than he did in the Prime Timeline.
Kirk and Mitchell knew each other in this timeline as well, and Mitchell died. It has been covered in the Ongoing comics, which are supposed to be more or less canon.

And even if they weren't, I doubt that Orci as a creative consultant would have greenlighted the comic if he had such a radically different story in mind for the movie. Even if Mitchell came back from the dead, Kirk WOULD know who he is.
Old January 5 2013, 11:01 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Kirk and Mitchell knew each other in this timeline as well, and Mitchell died. It has been covered in the Ongoing comics, which are supposed to be more or less canon.

And even if they weren't, I doubt that Orci as a creative consultant would have greenlighted the comic if he had such a radically different story in mind for the movie. Even if Mitchell came back from the dead, Kirk WOULD know who he is.
If they had a great story that focused on Mitchell, they would use Mitchell regardless of the comics. And the comics are not canon.
Old January 5 2013, 11:09 PM   #15
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Maybe it's not Gary, but someone else from the original episode. Two hundred years earlier, the captain of SS Valiant destroyed the ship due to the danger of one individual. We don't know if he successfully eliminated the threat. Maybe that individual doesn't get a name until now.