Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31 2012, 07:42 AM   #1171
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Leaping out of the Lazarus pit without the knee brace would have been pretty tough, but if Bane let him keep it, you could say that that helped him get out.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 08:04 AM   #1172
Captrek
Rear Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
If they wanted to keep it realistic,
They didn't.

Here's a list of the top grossing films of all time. How many of them are in anything resembling physical reality? I'll grant Titanic (#2) and ignore The Passion of the Christ (#21). Other than those you have to go down to My Big Fat Greek Wedding at #74, which is still an exercise in absurdity despite respecting the laws of physics.

Come to think of it, that is kind of disturbing. Or at least ver-r-ry interesting and stupid.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 08:16 AM   #1173
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Don't forget 27 - Forrest Gump.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 05:01 AM   #1174
JD
Admiral

I honestly don't really care about the stuff you guys are pointing out. I still really enjoyed the movie, even if it isn't perfect. I was drawn into it enough by the story, acting, and directing that I honestly never really thought to much about most of this stuff, except for the back thing which bugged me for a minute or two, until you guys started discussing them on here.
Old January 3 2013, 07:23 PM   #1175
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I honestly don't really care about the stuff you guys are pointing out. I still really enjoyed the movie, even if it isn't perfect. I was drawn into it enough by the story, acting, and directing that I honestly never really thought to much about most of this stuff, except for the back thing which bugged me for a minute or two, until you guys started discussing them on here.
It bothered me because I enjoyed the "hyper realism" shall we call it of the first movie, and to some degree the second one?

It's almost like the last one Chris Nolan just rushed a script that included two very serious injuries (I know Bane breaking the bat's back was something the hardcore guys wanted to see), but he didn't bother to do it realistically enough. He turned it into the typical mindless action flick where the hero gets up from crippling injured just because he's the hero.

This wasn't The Avengers, it was the conclusion to a reboot of the Bat that kept the fantastical to a very low degree, and as believable as possible without sacrificing good action. It failed to conclude the series in that regard.
Old January 4 2013, 12:49 AM   #1176
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

But the back thing? No way. Go look at a diagram of a human spine. You think vertebrae can just "snap" back into place from being dislocated? You can't "dislocate" anything in the spine, even the spinal discs are glued tightly to the vertebrae.

When someone "slips" a disc, what actually happens is you tear the cartilage in the middle, and if it's bad enough it will press on nerves going down the spinal column, giving symptoms of sciatica, and in severe cases can damage the spinal cord.

So no, breaking something in your back is not a thing that you "snap" back into place and then keep on training.
Normally that would be true, but Batman's vertebrae had time to prepare...

It bothered me because I enjoyed the "hyper realism" shall we call it of the first movie, and to some degree the second one?
The Nolan Batmans are certainly more realistic in tone than the Burton/Schumacher films or the 60s TV show and movie, but they are not realistic, much less "hyper-realistic," in terms of being reflective of real life.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 02:09 AM   #1177
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

It bothered me because I enjoyed the "hyper realism" shall we call it of the first movie
Batman Begins was my favorite live action Batman movie but it wasn't hyper realistic. That movie with it's water evaporatorinator, fear gas and armies of ninjas was fantasyland through and through.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 04:43 PM   #1178
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
It bothered me because I enjoyed the "hyper realism" shall we call it of the first movie
Batman Begins was my favorite live action Batman movie but it wasn't hyper realistic. That movie with it's water evaporatorinator, fear gas and armies of ninjas was fantasyland through and through.
Like I said before; a true "hyper realistic movie" would be near impossible to do. First of all, there are things we just have to accept for the story to work. The whole point about Bruce Wayne for example, and how he happens to inherit a fortune. It's definitely convenient for the story to have a super rich guy be the one who wants to fight crime.

Then there's the access to extremely advanced technology, like the cape that becomes rigid with electriciy, etc. etc.

All these things "work" simply because we accept them for the story to work. We are used to the Batman story being this way.

In that sense, within the scope of the Batman mythos shall we call it? Nolan's "Batman Begins" is hyper realistic compared to everything that came before it. The Dark Knight slipped a little. And The Dark Knight Rises went back into your typical derivative action film.

Within the sense of "real life" Batman would never work. The feats he does in the movie who cripple him quickly, even with armor, like that jump he does into the roof of the scarecrow's van (At the least he'd get a sprained ankle from that, probably more)
Old January 4 2013, 06:11 PM   #1179
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

This wasn't The Avengers, it was the conclusion to a reboot of the Bat that kept the fantastical to a very low degree, and as believable as possible without sacrificing good action. It failed to conclude the series in that regard.
As an old time comic book guy, I find this rather perverse. DC has always been about the fantastic, while Marvel was always more grounded and mundane.
Old January 4 2013, 09:38 PM   #1180
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

As an old time comic book guy, I find this rather perverse. DC has always been about the fantastic, while Marvel was always more grounded and mundane.
Perhaps in the comics. I definitely don't see that in the movies.

Example: We have beings who are pretty much gods with technology so more advanced than ours that it looks like magic to us. Yet they still ride horses and fight with medieval weapons.

We have a guy with armor so powerful, it can take on Thor one on one, and the guy inside can survive without even a flesh wound getting pounded by a hammer that hits like a supersonic jetfighter on a collision course. And this is supposed to be technology feasible to us today (Stark designed it all himself)

We have a guy who is normal sized, but gets massively huge and strong every time he gets angry, and is able to jump into the stratosphere in a single bound, and then land from that high up with nay a scratch on him.

I'm not so sure I would call any of that grounded. This is not a jab at Marvel BTW, I enjoyed Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers. I just know to turn my brain off before walking into the theater.
Old January 4 2013, 10:28 PM   #1181
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

Thor:
I say thee nay, mortal! Surely thou jest! Grounded??? Mundane??? I be a god of Asgard! I be not mundane! And I canst not be grounded!

No, seriously, I can't be grounded. Everytime I ground mine hammer and try calling the lightning, I get this cross-current that makes my fillings hurt. And sometimes I turneth back to Don Blake without intending to. I need to talk to Shazam and see how he makes it work.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 11:21 PM   #1182
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

GalaxyX wrote:
Perhaps in the comics.
Not in the comics either. Not when you have characters casting magic spells and making deals with demons, or when one of your characters is the son of the devil.
Old January 5 2013, 10:11 AM   #1183
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote:
Perhaps in the comics.
Not in the comics either. Not when you have characters casting magic spells and making deals with demons, or when one of your characters is the son of the devil.
Oh please. For every one Doc Strange you've got a Corps of Green Lanterns, all-powerful aliens, ghosts, demons and sorcerers over at DC. Meanwhile the bread and butter of Marvel was a virtual army of New York-based street-level crime-fighters (or criminals). To which DC has... Batman, tooling around his imaginary city in his limitless supply of cars and planes.
When he's not IN SPACE.
Old January 5 2013, 05:39 PM   #1184
Gojira
Commodore

Batman Begins is my favorite of the nolan trilogy. I think it set the right tone. The Dark Night did not have that tone...it was too serious. The Dark Knight Rises did move back to that tone more.

I have an appreciation for Nolan's Batman movies but I have to say that, for me, they are too serious. Yes, Batman is a Dark charcter but I think Nolan went too dark and serious. Even though I have been a DC comics fan all of my life, I think the Marvel Movies really set the right tone for superhero movies.

At the end of the day superhero movies need to have some fun and have some fantasy elements to them. The Nolan movies, while engaging and exciting, they lacked some fun.
Old January 5 2013, 06:04 PM   #1185
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

In that sense, within the scope of the Batman mythos shall we call it? Nolan's "Batman Begins" is hyper realistic compared to everything that came before it. The Dark Knight slipped a little. And The Dark Knight Rises went back into your typical derivative action film.
I don't think whether a film is derivative depends on its realism. Thematically, the story has always been about personal will. In that sense, his training to be Batman in the first movie and his overcoming his physical ailments in the last movie represent a clean, consistent literary theme. If you miss the theme for the details while already accepting plenty of fantastical details, you miss the point of the films. And I'm using films plural. If you're focusing on his knee, you aren't understanding the entire trilogy.