CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Seriously, who the hell is she??
A long overdue family reunion - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Susan! 1 1.56%
The One Who Got Away - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Romana! 3 4.69%
'Til Death do us part? I don't think so, Sweetie - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated post-Library River! 0 0%
She's a MAN, man - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Master! 0 0%
If at first you don't succeed... - Clara's the ultimate Anti-Doctor weapon of the Silence, Mark II! 3 4.69%
A sneak preview of things to come - Clara's a Watcher, but WILL BE the Twelfth Doctor! 0 0%
Hello again - Clara's a fobwatched, future (post-Doctor) version of Sexy! 2 3.13%
Eye See You - Clara's Prisoner Zero! 0 0%
You'll never see it coming - None of the above, and even stranger than all! 56 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 4 2013, 09:16 PM   #166
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

^ They (almost) escaped from the Time Lock before they died.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I never claimed he could reach them, I said Tme-Loked is not dead, as has been shown onscreen
They did die. In The End of Time, the Time Lords were aware that the Doctor was about to use the Moment, which would kill them all. It's actually more accurate to say they did die, but it's possible to reach them depending if it's needed for the plot (but we're supposed to believe you can't reach them).
Old January 4 2013, 09:25 PM   #167
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

I never claimed he could reach them, I said Tme-Loked is not dead, as has been shown onscreen
They did die. In The End of Time, the Time Lords were aware that the Doctor was about to use the Moment, which would kill them all. It's actually more accurate to say they did die, but it's possible to reach them depending if it's needed for the plot (but we're supposed to believe you can't reach them).
If I recal correctly, near the end of the Episode, when he dispatched them, he said nothing about re-killing them, but instead, said something like "Back into the Time Lock you go", correct?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 09:37 PM   #168
RoJoHen
Awesome

I never got the impression that they were dead within the Time Lock, merely trapped forever in some kind of pocket universe, inside of which the Time War still rages on. They are effectively dead to the rest of the universe (until their next escape attempt, anyway), but they may as well be as far as we're concerned.

However, as we have already seen, the Time Lock is imperfect. Any number of plot devices could undo it.
Old January 4 2013, 10:52 PM   #169
Christopher
Writer

You said the Time War spilled over to over places, erasing whole world from existence, therefore She would be erased, what else could that possibly mean?
If you haven't figured out what I'm saying by now, I'm not going to waste time repeating myself. I don't get why you're fixated on Susan anyway.

They escaped from within the Time Lock themselves, they couldn't have done that if they were dead. When did we see someone Time Travel to before they were dead to rescue them?
Same answer. If you haven't gotten it from what the rest of us have already explained, then more verbiage won't help. Maybe you just need to reflect for a while on what's been discussed already.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 11:15 PM   #170
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

If I recal correctly, near the end of the Episode, when he dispatched them, he said nothing about re-killing them, but instead, said something like "Back into the Time Lock you go", correct?
He referred to their death in a previous episode. He isn't re-killing them anyway. They were killed once, he just prevented them from being un-killed. It would be a little more morbid if he shouted "and now you all can die."
Old January 5 2013, 12:21 AM   #171
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

It was:
"Back into the Time War, Rassilon! Back into Hell!"
Old January 5 2013, 12:55 AM   #172
RoJoHen
Awesome

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
It was:
Which, to me, implies that they will be going there to continue to live and die and live again in the neverending cycle of the Time War. They didn't all just die. The Time War is still happening, and it will probably keep happening forever; it is simply happening outside of the normal Universe, so that nothing else can ever be affected by it.
Old January 5 2013, 03:45 AM   #173
propita
Rear Admiral

I figured, to having seen much of old Who episodes but just this discussion, that, as posters have stated, the Time Lords are locked in time and space. No one can get in to "save" them due to the lock, but there is little to stop them from trying to find a way out. a one way door. They're not dead, but the War continues behind the lock. But since no one can get in, they are effectively dead to everyone outside the lock.

They weren't erased from time, there's been a number of comments in NuWho about Gallifrey and the Time Lords being a legend or that they're all dead. Which means people do know about them and they existed at some point, known to the universeand not erased from existence.

I defer to those who have seen many of the episodes I have not.
propita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 03:57 AM   #174
Christopher
Writer

Ultimately, there's no way to make any real sense out of the conflict between the narrative logic of events happening in a certain order and the realistic ramifications of time travel where causality goes out the window. It should be possible, given the ease of time travel in the series, to go back to before anyone died and find them still alive. It should be possible to go back into the past of a now-extinct race and interact with them while they did exist. So the idea of any character or race being "dead now" from the perspective of a time traveler like the Doctor is nonsense. What constitutes "now" when you can be in 396,003 CE one day and 8 billion BCE the next?

But the narrative requires that events usually proceed in a certain order, that characters who die are still mourned as having been lost, that recurring friends or foes usually experience events in the same order the Doctor does, etc. So throughout its history, the show has always fudged the temporal logic. Usually it's just ignored the question altogether; otherwise it's made up arbitrary Laws of Time to explain why the Doctor can't just go back and save Adric or visit the young Brigadier or whatever, or concocted poorly-explained handwaves like "time locks" to justify the frankly rather nonsensical narrative conceit that a race that can exist throughout all of history is somehow "extinct" at any given point in the Doctor's subjective present no matter how far back or forward he travels.

So worrying or debating about how it can make sense is a futile effort. It doesn't make sense. It can't make sense. It's sloppy and self-contradictory and ridiculous. It's all just a bunch of arbitrary fudges that the writers came up with to simplify the storytelling logic. But in the case of Doctor Who, that's acceptable, because it's all just a flamboyant, fanciful tall tale.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 04:17 AM   #175
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Thank You Photman15, RoJoHen and propita, you articulated many of my points well.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 11:58 AM   #176
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Just accepting it's all bollocks that doesn't make much sense and any future writer can make it mean what he/she wants it to mean is easier than this tortured discussion. The key thing is that it removes the Time Lords and provides a reason why they can't be saved by time travel.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 02:09 PM   #177
Mr Light
Admiral

I thought the Doctor used The Moment to wipe out the Time Lords and Daleks from the timestream so that they never existed? It just, didn't, ah, take

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 02:58 PM   #178
DWF
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Photoman15 wrote: View Post
It was:
Which, to me, implies that they will be going there to continue to live and die and live again in the neverending cycle of the Time War. They didn't all just die. The Time War is still happening, and it will probably keep happening forever; it is simply happening outside of the normal Universe, so that nothing else can ever be affected by it.
The moment just time locked Gallifrey, the Doctor said the planet itself is gone, so I think they were just sent back to the moment just before the planet was destroyed.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 10:31 PM   #179
who.me
Ensign

Just an idea.......But what if Clara has some connection with the Master???????
who.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 10:52 PM   #180
who.me
Ensign

Has anyone looked up the meaning Clara??? only its a latin name and means "Clear; bright; famous" Now when we first saw her she was Clever, Xmas episode she was Clear i.e snow(snow is a clear crystal and its only light that makes it appear white)? So will she be famous in the 2nd part of series 7?

Oswin comes from the English word which means, "God's friend.." (this could be timelords friend?

"The name Oswald is an Anglo-Saxon. In Anglo-Saxon the meaning of the name Oswald is: Divine power"

So we have a clear bright famous person who is a friend od god/timelords and has Divine Power.

Now lets see the comments now LOL
who.me is offline   Reply With Quote