Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 1 2013, 10:00 PM   #121
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: Earth's Role

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
But we still never really saw the common everyday Earth in those films.
Good.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 10:54 PM   #122
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Good.
Adding flavor to the Trek universe can only make things better. Especially since it remains one of the few optimistic futures in mainstream science fiction. Not being destroyed by robots, aliens or ourselves is a great thing to look forward to. Especially if we can see that our heroes come from a world familiar to our own but free of crime and poverty.

Plus we know almost nothing about civilian life in the Federation, especially Earth. As far as I know the first hint as that there are still reporters because we see them at the launch of the 1701-B.
Old January 1 2013, 11:10 PM   #123
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Seeing trucks and cars and busses that look so much like the ones we have today is strange. I'm trying to envision Picard driving a car to work at Starfleet HQ, or Scotty riding a bus somewhere. It's taking a little getting used to. I kinda like it, though.

I guess it means that IMDB listing for a meter maid was legit!
Old January 1 2013, 11:19 PM   #124
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Seeing trucks and cars and busses that look so much like the ones we have today is strange. I'm trying to envision Picard driving a car to work at Starfleet HQ, or Scotty riding a bus somewhere. It's taking a little getting used to. I kinda like it, though.

I guess it means that IMDB listing for a meter maid was legit!
It makes sense really. They've never shown mass use of the transporters and using shuttlecraft probably only replaces what we'd use a plane for or to get to a spacestation. A car, probably purely electric, is still a decent form of travel and probably preferred by some. I would think they would use a lot of mass transit as well.
Old January 1 2013, 11:31 PM   #125
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Good.
The sanitized view of Earth we've seen in Trek TV and most movies makes it hard to imagine that it is potentially OUR future. It doesn't look like any place with which I'm familiar.

Many of the buildings and streets that were around 200 years ago are still used today. Heck, I used to live in a 150 year old house; no big deal. I want to see a 23rd century world that is in many ways familiar to the world in which I live, because I bet the 23rd century WILL (in many ways) look very much like the world in which we live today.

I suppose Star Trek does not NEED to be taking place in our potential future, but I feel that is what most people would like to think.

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; January 1 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:13 PM   #126
Jeyl
Commodore

Maybe there's a whole different reason why Earth is getting a much larger role in their movies...

Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:17 PM   #127
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

^^^ Gotta wonder if an Apple logo will sneak into the new film? Nokia is such old news [wink]
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:53 PM   #128
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
^^^ Gotta wonder if an Apple logo will sneak into the new film? Nokia is such old news [wink]
Haven't you seen Apple's 24th century logo?
Old January 4 2013, 05:59 PM   #129
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Haven't you seen Apple's 24th century logo?
That's cool man. It would be awesome if characters were walking around Star Fleet headquarters with some futuristic version of an iPad and the apple logo on the back.
Old January 4 2013, 06:36 PM   #130
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Or maybe if they went to the past wearing Levis... but that'd be crazy.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 06:41 PM   #131
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Actually I like that idea. Levi's were invented in 1853 and there is no reason not to believe that 150 years from now that people may also be wearing them.

Some people IIRC in this thread have criticized the bar scene from Trek X as to 21st century and not a place where people in Star fleet may hang out.

Whomever said that has never lived near a Naval base because if they had and went to a local bar - a scene not to dissimilar would occur today, 50 years ago or even 100 years ago. So it's likely that a bunch of young SF recruits would be hanging out at a seedy bar.
Old January 4 2013, 06:56 PM   #132
Franklin
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Actually I like that idea. Levi's were invented in 1853 and there is no reason not to believe that 150 years from now that people may also be wearing them.

Some people IIRC in this thread have criticized the bar scene from Trek X as to 21st century and not a place where people in Star fleet may hang out.

Whomever said that has never lived near a Naval base because if they had and went to a local bar - a scene not to dissimilar would occur today, 50 years ago or even 100 years ago. So it's likely that a bunch of young SF recruits would be hanging out at a seedy bar.
The bar was also near the construction site where the Enterprise was being built. A tavern near a place where college-aged cadets and construction workers are. Great location, I'd say. And for either group, I wouldn't expect it to be The Ritz.

As far as "product placement" goes, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is hardly ruined by Pan Am, Bell Telephone, and Howard Johnson not even making it to 2001. Just roll with it.
Old January 4 2013, 07:02 PM   #133
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post

As far as "product placement" goes, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is hardly ruined by Pan Am, Bell Telephone, and Howard Johnson not even making it to 2001. Just roll with it.
Exactly. Coca Cola with Jack Daniels might be a safe bet as well.
Old January 4 2013, 07:24 PM   #134
Jeyl
Commodore

Franklin wrote: View Post
Ordering a budweiser classic I can roll with, but the Beastie Boys and Nokia in the span of seconds? Come on, I want to escape this loud and commercialized world of ours.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 07:30 PM   #135
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

Seedy bars (or taverns, pubs, or whatever) have always existed. I'm not sure why people think it is unrealistic to show a seedy bar in the future.

We may have more technology than we did 150 or 200 years ago, but human nature really hasn't change that much. If you read novels written 150 or close to 200 years ago, such as Little Women (for examples of American life) or the works of Charles Dickens (for examples of English life), you can see that the characters are quite contemporary when compared to people today, and they have similar actions and similar motivations we have. Those stories had very recognizable themes.

I read the biography of John Adams by David McCullough and was amazed by how contemporary seeming he and the world around him were during and after the time of the American revolution. You could have changed the names and dates in the life of John Adams and get a very modern story out of it.

Human nature and humans actions have not really changed in 200 years. I don't find it hard to believe that in 200 more years the nature of people will not seem that unrecognizable to us (nor us to them).

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote