RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,926
Posts: 5,478,729
Members: 25,054
Currently online: 416
Newest member: DRayTrekkie

TrekToday headlines

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Seriously, who the hell is she??
A long overdue family reunion - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Susan! 1 1.56%
The One Who Got Away - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Romana! 3 4.69%
'Til Death do us part? I don't think so, Sweetie - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated post-Library River! 0 0%
She's a MAN, man - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Master! 0 0%
If at first you don't succeed... - Clara's the ultimate Anti-Doctor weapon of the Silence, Mark II! 3 4.69%
A sneak preview of things to come - Clara's a Watcher, but WILL BE the Twelfth Doctor! 0 0%
Hello again - Clara's a fobwatched, future (post-Doctor) version of Sexy! 2 3.13%
Eye See You - Clara's Prisoner Zero! 0 0%
You'll never see it coming - None of the above, and even stranger than all! 56 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 3 2013, 06:03 PM   #121
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Oh, good one.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 10:42 PM   #122
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I was given to understand two specials- one pre-filmed this spring, and one live episode...
WTF, a live episode?! Unless it's the actors sitting around chatting, it seems pointless to air an episode live and potentially extremely restrictive on what they can do.

Either way, I wouldn't get too excited over it.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 10:59 PM   #123
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
WTF, a live episode?! Unless it's the actors sitting around chatting, it seems pointless to air an episode live and potentially extremely restrictive on what they can do.
Not necessarily. After all, there have been Doctor Who stage plays. And the early episodes in the '60s were often recorded in a manner similar to a live broadcast, with the actors performing the scenes in sequence and pretty much straight through.

Then there's something like Red Dwarf, some of whose seasons were (and are) shot before a live audience. In a case like that, you could make the FX shots in advance and cut away to them at the appropriate moments in a live performance.

Sure, we generally expect more elaborate visual effects and action from the show today, but there are exceptions. Remember the 4th-season episode "Midnight?" A bottle show taking place almost entirely inside a tour bus, with the threat being an invisible entity whose presence was conveyed entirely through dialogue and performance. That one could've been done live quite easily.

Indeed, given that British actors usually tend to work in stage, screen, and TV interchangeably rather than specializing in just one, I daresay they'd be more experienced at performing live than the cast of an American show would tend to be.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 11:08 PM   #124
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

^ Well, I guess I just don't see the point of doing it that way. For a comedy like Red Dwarf, which I totally love, it helps with comedic timing. I just don't see it helping for a drama.

And, there are reasons why they moved away from shooting DW like a live broadcast. I did see a video of a DW stage play and wasn't overly impressed.

I'm just not sure why they'd go that route. I'm thinking maybe it's more likely a discussion about the series by those involved, or something along those lines.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 11:09 PM   #125
Psion
Commodore
 
Psion's Avatar
 
Location: Lat: 40.1630936 Lon: -75.1183777
View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Hasn't Matt Smith performed live as the Doctor at certain children's charity functions? I could swear I remember seeing him go into an audience and picking a kid to do something important while he saved the auditorium.
__________________
Twinkies are back. I knew they couldn't stay away from me for long.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 12:33 AM   #126
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain
 
DakotaSmith's Avatar
 
Location: Redfield, Iowa, USA
View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Not to toot my own horn, but so far I've been on the same wavelength as Moffat.

There was only one reason for a married couple in the TARDIS. In the UK, this is a children's show. In a children's show, in order to remove any possibility of scandal, it's necessary to marry the characters. Rory and Amy were married to produce River.

Similiarly, there is only one reason to marry the Doctor.

I think Clara's identity follows logically if you wonder why, after almost fifty years, they would marry the Doctor.

Dakota Smith
__________________
"No human being has the right — under any circumstances — to initiate force against another human being, nor to threaten or delegate its initiation."

DakotaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 12:48 AM   #127
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ Well, I guess I just don't see the point of doing it that way. For a comedy like Red Dwarf, which I totally love, it helps with comedic timing. I just don't see it helping for a drama.

And, there are reasons why they moved away from shooting DW like a live broadcast. I did see a video of a DW stage play and wasn't overly impressed.
To each his own. I've seen a number of live episodes of various TV shows, as well as the live version of Fail Safe that George Clooney produced and starred in back in 2000, and I quite enjoy it. There's an energy and immediacy to a live performance that you don't get with the carefully constructed and perfected productions we usually get. There are some inevitable glitches and flubs along the way, but that's part of the fun -- it's exciting to watch actors perform without a safety net, to be aware of the risk of a mistake happening, and it makes it more impressive when they carry off the performance mostly without a hitch.

Doctor Who has always been a broad, theatrical show -- sometimes bordering on pantomime in the UK sense. And the British have a grand theatrical tradition. I think it could be a terrific idea.


Psion wrote: View Post
Hasn't Matt Smith performed live as the Doctor at certain children's charity functions? I could swear I remember seeing him go into an audience and picking a kid to do something important while he saved the auditorium.
That was the second Doctor Who at the Proms concert in 2010.


DakotaSmith wrote: View Post
There was only one reason for a married couple in the TARDIS. In the UK, this is a children's show. In a children's show, in order to remove any possibility of scandal, it's necessary to marry the characters. Rory and Amy were married to produce River.

Similiarly, there is only one reason to marry the Doctor.

I think Clara's identity follows logically if you wonder why, after almost fifty years, they would marry the Doctor.
Good grief. You, along with the person who suggested it was Susan, are completely forgetting that they kissed, that Clara has been extremely flirtatious with the Doctor from the get-go. By your own logic, the last thing they would do in a children's show is include incestuous themes! Of course she isn't his daughter or granddaughter or any kind of relative! Ick! Eww!
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 01:44 AM   #128
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

She's his mistress!

Dun-dun-duuuuun.

Just wait til River finds out.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 02:31 AM   #129
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Christopher wrote: View Post
DakotaSmith wrote: View Post
There was only one reason for a married couple in the TARDIS. In the UK, this is a children's show. In a children's show, in order to remove any possibility of scandal, it's necessary to marry the characters. Rory and Amy were married to produce River.

Similiarly, there is only one reason to marry the Doctor.

I think Clara's identity follows logically if you wonder why, after almost fifty years, they would marry the Doctor.
Good grief. You, along with the person who suggested it was Susan, are completely forgetting that they kissed, that Clara has been extremely flirtatious with the Doctor from the get-go. By your own logic, the last thing they would do in a children's show is include incestuous themes! Of course she isn't his daughter or granddaughter or any kind of relative! Ick! Eww!
Fans have been drawing weird connections like that for years. For instance, after the McGann film, a New Zealand fanzine argued that Grace was the Doctor's half-human mother.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 02:58 AM   #130
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

DakotaSmith wrote: View Post
Not to toot my own horn, but so far I've been on the same wavelength as Moffat.

There was only one reason for a married couple in the TARDIS. In the UK, this is a children's show. In a children's show, in order to remove any possibility of scandal, it's necessary to marry the characters. Rory and Amy were married to produce River.

Similiarly, there is only one reason to marry the Doctor.

I think Clara's identity follows logically if you wonder why, after almost fifty years, they would marry the Doctor.

Dakota Smith
If you're implying Oswin will turn out to be his daughter, a Children's show wouldn't have had them kissing like that.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 03:50 AM   #131
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Susan? No, not likely. Why not another child of Rory and Amy, this time displaced through time when the Angel sent Amy back to Rory?
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 04:34 AM   #132
ToddCam
Captain
 
ToddCam's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Christopher wrote: View Post

What you're doing is starting with a desired conclusion and constructing arguments to justify it. That's backward reasoning, because you can use it to support any position, no matter how wrong or nonsensical. Better to reserve judgment until we have more evidence, then formulate a hypothesis based on the evidence.
What desired conclusion am I starting with? That there are no rules? Where is your evidence that there are? There's a trend, certainly. And if I missed a quote where it's specifically said to be impossible to take on the same form, my mistake. I am slowly making my way through classic Doctor Who (and some of it's pretty awful to try and sit through), so I may be unaware of any number of statements.

Besides, exceptions are exceptions. So Clara could be another exception anyway. I am not trying to scientifically prove anything.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Clara is regenerating, and I seriously doubt that's the situation. I just don't think you can rule it out. Though I mostly just object to passive-aggressive statements starting with "I don't know why." What is your goal in making this statement? To make everyone give up their wild suppositions? To make people feel foolish for making such unscientifically-based arguments? Is the fact that I didn't use the scientific method in my grand (admittedly weak) argument that Clara could be regenerating offensive? And, if we are to reserve judgment, then why don't you take your own advice, and let people make their own foolish observations? If you want to argue that it's unlikely, or that evidence contradicts it, then fine. But why bring up your inability to comprehend others' ideas? It takes it from being about Doctor Who and makes it about the fans themselves.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Do you think you can regenerate from turning into a Dalek? Do you think you can regenerate by teleporting to an entirely different location (keeping in mind Clara was buried). There have been subtle variations in regeneration over the years, but nothing as big as those things.
The regeneration from being a Dalek seems unlikely, true, but what are the limits of regeneration? Has any Time Lord been turned into a Dalek before? I think it more likely that the utter obliteration of her physical form when the planet blew up probably makes it more of non-starter.

Forgive me, but didn't the Time Lord in yellowface from "Planet of the Spiders" regenerate and teleport?

Wild hypothesis: Clara's "regeneration" takes 150 years or so, so she burst out of the ground 26 years before the present day scene in "The Snowmen." In between stuff happens, has amnesia, final death in "Asylum of the Daleks."

I hate that hypothesis.
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:18 AM   #133
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

ToddCam wrote: View Post
What desired conclusion am I starting with?
That she's a Time Lady, obviously. It's a blatantly unlikely premise on the face of it, because what's happening with Clara is blatantly unlike Gallifreyan regeneration, but you're ignoring the way it works most of the time and cherrypicking the very few exceptions in order to support a very unlikely suggestion.


Just to be clear, I am not saying Clara is regenerating, and I seriously doubt that's the situation. I just don't think you can rule it out.
But one can assess probabilities. It continually bewilders me how many people don't seem to understand the concept of probability. Just because multiple possibilities exist doesn't mean they're equally likely or equally worth taking seriously. Assessing the probabilities of different ideas lets you determine which ones are more likely to be true and which ones are more likely to be false. Yes, sometimes an unlikely premise turns out to be true, but you don't favor it without evidence. And you sure as hell don't make up whatever ad hoc rationalizations you need in order to justify it. The more convoluted excuses you have to pile on in order to argue that something could be true, the less credibility it has.

Besides, as I've said, it's just so damned unimaginative. We've had Time Lords in the show. We've had plenty of them, including secret part-Gallifreyans like River. What we've seen of Clara so far suggests she's something different and new. Different and new is interesting. It's exciting. I don't understand the desire of so many people to reject the possibility of something different and new and want it to be just more of the same old stuff we've already seen.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 06:11 AM   #134
Gov Kodos
Admiral
 
Gov Kodos's Avatar
 
Location: Gov Kodos Regretably far from Boston
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

For what it's worth her name, Oswin, means God's friend and Oswald, God's power. What of Vastra's comment that perhaps the universe does make bargains?

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Oswin

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Oswald
__________________
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 06:44 AM   #135
ToddCam
Captain
 
ToddCam's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Christopher wrote: View Post

That she's a Time Lady, obviously. It's a blatantly unlikely premise on the face of it, because what's happening with Clara is blatantly unlike Gallifreyan regeneration, but you're ignoring the way it works most of the time and cherrypicking the very few exceptions in order to support a very unlikely suggestion.
You are wrong. I have no desire to see Clara as a Time Lady. I want to see a return of Susan and Romana. I wouldn't mind more Time Lords either, 1) because I hate whole races being wiped out, because it's so trite (Superman, ALF, etc.), and 2) I also think Time Lords somehow all being inaccessible is stupid, given the premise of the time-traveler known as the Doctor. If the Doctor visited Earth right after the events of "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" would Susan somehow be dead? It's stupid. But Clara herself? I can make rhetorical points (badly argued or not) without believing them to be the case. You inferred something. I didn't imply it.


But one can assess probabilities. It continually bewilders me how many people don't seem to understand the concept of probability. Just because multiple possibilities exist doesn't mean they're equally likely or equally worth taking seriously. Assessing the probabilities of different ideas lets you determine which ones are more likely to be true and which ones are more likely to be false. Yes, sometimes an unlikely premise turns out to be true, but you don't favor it without evidence. And you sure as hell don't make up whatever ad hoc rationalizations you need in order to justify it. The more convoluted excuses you have to pile on in order to argue that something could be true, the less credibility it has.

Besides, as I've said, it's just so damned unimaginative. We've had Time Lords in the show. We've had plenty of them, including secret part-Gallifreyans like River. What we've seen of Clara so far suggests she's something different and new. Different and new is interesting. It's exciting. I don't understand the desire of so many people to reject the possibility of something different and new and want it to be just more of the same old stuff we've already seen.
I do understand probabilities, and as you quoted, I said I have serious doubts. I think it's almost certain she isn't a Time Lady.

While I appreciate the fact that you don't hedge your statements with "I think," unimaginative is a relative term. Frankly, I think another young pretty white girl as the companion is unimaginative. I think human companions are unimaginative (though she might be something else, I suppose). So more Time Lords is unimaginative? Because there have been TWO of them as companions in 50 years?

Companions:
Time Lords: Susan, Romana
Humans: Ian, Barbara, Vicki, Steven, Dodo, Ben, Polly, Jamie, Victoria, Zoe, Liz, Jo, Sarah Jane, Harry, Leela, Tegan, Peri, Mel, Ace, Rose, Adam, Jack, Mickey, Martha, Donna, Amy, Rory
Alzarians: Adric
Trakenites: Nyssa
Trions: Turlough
robot dogs: K-9

(I left out the UNIT guys, and the one-shotters, and River because of their narrative ambiguity as Companions.)

If anything, making the new companion a Time Lady would bring some much needed diversity to the list. When I first saw "Asylum of the Daleks" and was surprised by Jenna-Louise Coleman's appearance, I actually thought how cool it would be to have a Dalek companion! She died at the end, so that idea was quashed. Ah, well.

Last edited by ToddCam; January 4 2013 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Number
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.