RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,164
Posts: 5,402,969
Members: 24,753
Currently online: 423
Newest member: kev404

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 2 2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Tom Riker
Lieutenant
 
New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

with Earth under terrorist attack from Benedict Cumberbatch's ex-Starfleet employee John Harrison, Kirk is this time forced into a rash decision that breaks a critical Starfleet command, puts his crew in danger & costs him his captain's chair. Now out of uniform and dressed down in space civvies of black leather jackets and boots, our three heroes have separated from the Enterprise and headed off on a mission to try and rectify his mistake...


http://blastr.com/2013/01/new-star-trek-into-darkne.php

Holy crap, Pine did say Kirk had to earn his command in this movie.
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

Tom Riker wrote: View Post
with Earth under terrorist attack from Benedict Cumberbatch's ex-Starfleet employee John Harrison, Kirk is this time forced into a rash decision that breaks a critical Starfleet command, puts his crew in danger & costs him his captain's chair. Now out of uniform and dressed down in space civvies of black leather jackets and boots, our three heroes have separated from the Enterprise and headed off on a mission to try and rectify his mistake...


http://blastr.com/2013/01/new-star-trek-into-darkne.php

Holy crap, Pine did say Kirk had to earn his command in this movie.
Sounds exciting, but it reads like a first draft. Does anyone edit these?
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

What it actually reads like is an interpolation of the official synopsis with a few stray details - some perhaps speculative - by a writer at Empire. It's unlikely this was released as a synopsis by the studio.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
What it actually reads like is an interpolation of the official synopsis with a few stray details - some perhaps speculative - by a writer at Empire. It's unlikely this was released as a synopsis by the studio.
I agree; the language used sounds odd. Why didn't Empire just tell us where the synopsis comes from?

Plus, who are "our three heroes". Normally, I would assume Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (and I would prefer that). However, I have a funny feeling that it's Kirk, Spock, and Uhura (based on the "spy images" we saw earlier and based on the fact that I think Abrams wants to push Uhura into the limelight to give some gender balance to the main plot players).
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
What it actually reads like is an interpolation of the official synopsis with a few stray details - some perhaps speculative - by a writer at Empire. It's unlikely this was released as a synopsis by the studio.
OK, but then does anybody edit these at Empire?

"... a mission to try and rectify his mistake." UGH!

"... are headed off...." Headed off is past tense, as in "had headed off". "... are heading off...." is better.

And it's sad to see our heroes are separated from the Enterprise. I hope it doesn't end in a messy divorce.

Meh, I'm just being anal retentive I guess.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:29 AM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

It's an Internet world; spelling and grammar are assumed to be disposable.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Amasov
Rear Admiral
 
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

The part that really gets me is...

"Now out of uniform and dressed down in space civvies of black leather jackets and boots"

What?
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 02:14 AM   #8
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

Odd wording aside, I think it's possible that someone at Empire (or some who knows someone at Empire) learned some actual details about the film. What I'm saying is that the gist of this synopsis (no matter how badly written) may still be valid and accurate.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:02 PM   #9
starburst
Fleet Captain
 
starburst's Avatar
 
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

Yeh describing them as 'space civvies' and then go on to describe them seems a bit odd, if it were me I would have just written "Now out of uniform, our three heroes have separated from the Enterprise and headed off on a mission to try and rectify his mistake..."

Same with describing Harrison as an ex-employee
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:17 PM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

I'm pretty sure this is from the Empire article, not Paramount pictures.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Odd wording aside, I think it's possible that someone at Empire (or some who knows someone at Empire) learned some actual details about the film.
It's also possible, and far more likely, that one of their writers is blowing smoke.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Odd wording aside, I think it's possible that someone at Empire (or some who knows someone at Empire) learned some actual details about the film.
It's also possible, and far more likely, that one of their writers is blowing smoke.
Ye, agree, it looks like some "reporter" took the released synopsis, and the released trailers and snap shots and summed them up in their own way with their own twist on it.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 04:14 PM   #13
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure this is from the Empire article, not Paramount pictures.
Correct.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 05:47 PM   #14
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

The only thing that gets me is when they describe John Harrison as an ex-Starfleet employee.

But really, weird wording seems to be the norm for ysnopsis of this movie. "Detonate the fleet" anyone?
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Kevin W.
Commander
 
Kevin W.'s Avatar
 
Location: California
Send a message via AIM to Kevin W.
Re: New Star Trek Into Darkness summary

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The only thing that gets me is when they describe John Harrison as an ex-Starfleet employee.

But really, weird wording seems to be the norm for ysnopsis of this movie. "Detonate the fleet" anyone?
Oh God, I thought I was the only one bothered by that.
__________________
Ari Gold: "We're gonna get drunk with Russell Crowe and we're gonna head-butt some goddamn kangaroos."
Kevin W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
stid, synopsis

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.