RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,208
Posts: 5,346,616
Members: 24,606
Currently online: 575
Newest member: keykarta

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 3 2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Durek,
Commander
 
Question about the episode "Ethics"

After Worf chose to undergo the surgery to replace his spinal cord, he asked Counsellor Troi to look after Alexander in case he didn't survive. The fact that his human foster parents were getting up in age is understandable. However why didn't he entrust his brother, Kurn to look after his son? Kurn would definitely have made sure he had a Klingon upbringing.
__________________
"Great men do not seek power, they have power thrust upon them" Worf, son of Mogh after he killed Gowron, and gave the chancellorship to Martok.
Durek, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Relationships between the Empire and the Federation, and the ups and downs of the Mogh family fortunes, might have been too unpredictable in Worf's opinion to guarantee a future full of Qa'pla for Alexander. Remember how Worf in "Sins of the Father" was quite ready to have Kurn abandon his family if that were the best way to survive...

Worf would also know out of experience that even a Klingon separated from the Empire can learn honor under human foster parentage.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Durek,
Commander
 
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Timo wrote: View Post
Relationships between the Empire and the Federation, and the ups and downs of the Mogh family fortunes, might have been too unpredictable in Worf's opinion to guarantee a future full of Qa'pla for Alexander. Remember how Worf in "Sins of the Father" was quite ready to have Kurn abandon his family if that were the best way to survive...

Worf would also know out of experience that even a Klingon separated from the Empire can learn honor under human foster parentage.

Timo Saloniemi
Worf was different. He had a Klingon upbringing until his parents were killed at Khitomer. Alexander's mother kind of messed him up as far as learning Klingon ways. In many ways, Alexander reflected K'Ehleyr's rejection of Klingon culture.
__________________
"Great men do not seek power, they have power thrust upon them" Worf, son of Mogh after he killed Gowron, and gave the chancellorship to Martok.
Durek, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Very true. But would Worf realize that much, or would he assume that Alexander would be smart enough and motivated enough to make use of the resources at his disposal and learn being Klingon by letter course like his father (mostly) did?

It would have appeared more natural to entrust Alexander with Riker, who had already sorta-fostered Wesley and was the resident expert in the Klingon culture.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Finn
Vice Admiral
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Location: In the MetroWest
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Worf may have felt it would have dishonored K'Ehleyr. Besides, Kurn appears to be a single guy...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Well, Troi appears to be a single gal.

And it's not as if Alexander would specifically need a female protector: he's done breast-feeding, supposedly, for the time being. A male role model might do him more good at this point.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:11 PM   #7
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Finn wrote: View Post
Worf may have felt it would have dishonored K'Ehleyr. Besides, Kurn appears to be a single guy...
As was Worf.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 08:05 PM   #8
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Timo wrote: View Post
Well, Troi appears to be a single gal.

And it's not as if Alexander would specifically need a female protector: he's done breast-feeding, supposedly, for the time being. A male role model might do him more good at this point.

Timo Saloniemi
From what I remember of the episode, I think the implication was that Worf understood that Alexander needed someone who would genuinely care for him and provide a nurturing environment. Several episodes had been implying that Worf saw Troi as a good possible mate for him, and by extension a good mother for Alexander?

That episode had much worse issues IMO, not one of my favorites.
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 08:07 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Finn wrote: View Post
Worf may have felt it would have dishonored K'Ehleyr. Besides, Kurn appears to be a single guy...
Kurn was stated to have some daughters in Bloodlines. So one would assume he had a mate. Wonder what happened to them after Worf just decided to erase him from existence?
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Well, forgetting all about your closest relatives is indicated to be a good survival tactic when a family member falls in political disfavor, loses honor, whatever. The mate and the daughters might well be better off without Kurn.

We don't know much about the Klingon welfare system... But I'd think the Houses would care about/for their members beyond the immediate blood family.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 11:54 PM   #11
Finn
Vice Admiral
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Location: In the MetroWest
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Finn wrote: View Post
Worf may have felt it would have dishonored K'Ehleyr. Besides, Kurn appears to be a single guy...
As was Worf.
Still the father of the kid. Also, he didn't even know Kurn existed until during the TNG's run.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:19 PM   #12
AloriaDax
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Florida, USA
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

I always felt that he asked her because Alexander was closest to her. Kurn was not single he had a family (as eluded to in Firstborn, although I don't remember his family being mentioned other than that), but it seemed to me that he wanted Alexander to have a more human upbringing because he knew that K'Ehleyr had ruined him for any kind of Klingon life. And maybe he did not want to dishonor her by deliberately having Alexander being raised in a way that she made clear that she didn't want.
AloriaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Worf'sParmach
Commander
 
Worf'sParmach's Avatar
 
Location: Plano, TX
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Durek, wrote: View Post
After Worf chose to undergo the surgery to replace his spinal cord, he asked Counsellor Troi to look after Alexander in case he didn't survive. The fact that his human foster parents were getting up in age is understandable. However why didn't he entrust his brother, Kurn to look after his son? Kurn would definitely have made sure he had a Klingon upbringing.
I think I agree with you that Kurn would have been a good choice and one that Worf would have probably leaned toward, but just from a logistics "it's only a TV show" asking Troi was more dramatic. Bringing in Tony Todd for one scene wouldn't have made much sense.

It was eluded to that Kurn had children so having Alexander go live with them would have been logical. In "Firstborn" K'mtar tells Alexander that his uncle (assuming he means Kurn since he mentioned his name severl times in that episode) has a big house next to a lake and that Alexander had cousins there. He later says that Kurn has no male heir, implying the cousins must be girls. Which makes your point, Timo, what the heck happened to his family after Worf screwed him over?
__________________
Obsessing over every detail in the Star Trek Universe since the 1990s
Check out my fanfic (pretty please ): http://www.fanfiction.net/~ginomo

Last edited by Worf'sParmach; January 17 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Worf'sParmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Durek,
Commander
 
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
Durek, wrote: View Post
After Worf chose to undergo the surgery to replace his spinal cord, he asked Counsellor Troi to look after Alexander in case he didn't survive. The fact that his human foster parents were getting up in age is understandable. However why didn't he entrust his brother, Kurn to look after his son? Kurn would definitely have made sure he had a Klingon upbringing.
I think I agree with you that Kurn would have been a good choice and one that Worf would have probably leaned toward, but just from a logistics "it's only a TV show" asking Troi was more dramatic. Bringing in Tony Todd for one scene wouldn't have made much sense.

It was eluded to that Kurn had children so having Alexander go live with them would have been logical. In "Firstborn" K'mtar tells Alexander that his uncle (assuming he means Kurn since he mentioned his name severl times in that episode) has a big house next to a lake and that Alexander had cousins there. He later says that Kurn has no male heir, implying the cousins must be girls. Which makes your point, Timo, what the heck happened to his family after Worf screwed him over?
I wonder if Kurn's wife and children got the Mauk Tovor (Sp?) before he sought Worf out for Kurn to get his own.
__________________
"Great men do not seek power, they have power thrust upon them" Worf, son of Mogh after he killed Gowron, and gave the chancellorship to Martok.
Durek, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2013, 10:52 PM   #15
T'Cal
Commodore
 
T'Cal's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Re: Question about the episode "Ethics"

I can't remember the timeline here. Was this before or after Worf's discommendation? If it was after, didn't they keep Kurn's bloodline to Worf and Mog a secret until the Klingon civil war when Worf offered Kurn's fleet to Gowron in Redemption?
__________________
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." -- Judge Aaron Satie
T'Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.