RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 943
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Silent Weapons.
Outstanding 37 44.05%
Above Average 33 39.29%
Average 11 13.10%
Below Average 2 2.38%
Poor 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26 2012, 11:02 PM   #211
Christopher
Writer

Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

How does one pronounce "Šmrhová" anyway?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:02 PM   #212
Mage
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Beats me, I keep wanting to say 'Smirnoff', like the Vodka. Probably says more about me though...
Old December 26 2012, 11:18 PM   #213
Paper Moon
Commander

A hobby of mine is reading about foreign language phonologies and the different ways the Latin alphabet is used to transcribe non-Latin sounds. Czech has a pretty cool phonology and orthography.

Š corresponds to English "sh".
M is as in English.
R is a trilled "r", as in Spanish "perro", but it also can form a syllable nucleus, as it does here. (So "Šmr" is one syllable, just like the "ble" in "syllable" is one syllable without an actual vowel.) Note that this "r" is different from the "ř" in Dvořák's name.
H is basically like in English.
O is an Italianate "o".
V is as in English.
Á is a long "a," as in Spanish "casa", but held longer.

So, assuming I understand correctly, "Šmrhová" should probably be rendered by Anglophones as "Shmerr-ho-VA", with that first syllable theoretically being much more "rr" than "er".
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 07:41 AM   #214
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Literally read this one in one sitting. Sat down, three hours later, book done. Never done that before.

For all the thrilling heroics, though, there wasn't as much emotional weight to this one as I'd hoped. Bacco and Esperanza was great, and Picard's conflict I thought was nicely done, but I was hoping for more interesting introspection from Data and Worf.

I do like that Geordi has been up front kicking ass for two books in a row now. Having decided that he likes it here, dude's been nicely angst-free and enjoying himself.
Old January 9 2013, 10:12 AM   #215
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Awesome book. I just finished a few a little while ago and haven't read the threads yet and I'm exhausted. Past my bed time but I HAD to finish this. I loved it. Can't wait to start the third book. Tomorrow...
Old January 10 2013, 06:43 PM   #216
Reanok
Commodore

This is an awesome book I just finished this book a little while. Bravo. I really like how Data character storyline was continued in this book and how Geordi's friendship with Data was further explored in this novel. I'm so glad that story was focused on the growth of the chracters and the changes they've gone through.It looks like the Gorn and the Romulans are very angry with the Breen. I'm loking forward to reading the last book in this series,
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 04:22 AM   #217
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Just finished, that was a blast! I liked a lot of elements, namely the continuation of the resurrected Data's story and path, the use of the Breen, and the political-thriller elements, too.

One minor detail: the fake Pinero's assault on Bacco reminded me a lot of Eastwood's In The Line Of Fire.

Also, that little wink to the Mirror Universe was nice. Well-played, Mr. Mack! Can't wait to read The Body Electric whenever I get it.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 08:16 PM   #218
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

http://unreality-sf.net/2013/02/05/s...eapons-review/

My review of the novel. Enjoyed it, my only major gripe with it was that the Breen's plan felt way to convulted.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2013, 02:50 PM   #219
Charles Phipps
Commander

Defcon wrote: View Post
http://unreality-sf.net/2013/02/05/s...eapons-review/

My review of the novel. Enjoyed it, my only major gripe with it was that the Breen's plan felt way to convulted.
Nice review, thanks for sharing it!

I just finished my own.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blo...t-weapons.html

I really loved the Breen and Gorn's portrayal in this book. The Typhon Pact is already showing its fraying nature yet, ironically, the Federation may be shoring it up as I see a relationship with the Gorn and Romulans lasting far longer than I see the Breen with anyone. Well, you know, ignoring a certain EVENT in three years.

I actually feel bad for the Romulans for the first time in, well, forever. It may be wrong but I'm also getting the impression the Breen are a very fiscally conscious government given everyone is always speculating on their budgets whenever they propose projects. It's a nice change of pace from most governments I know. I do wonder, however, whether there's any positive qualities to the Breen or whether they're just a loathsome dictatorship. Could you share what you see as the positives of Breen society, DM?

I also agree with fans on this board who state they think the Breen sacrificed much better assets than they would have gained with the wormhole ship. As impressive as that was. Also, bluntly, I can't imagine the Tholians will be too happy to be betrayed to the Federation by the Breen. Jeez, these guys are awful allies.

Great book and awesome spy fiction.
Old March 14 2014, 09:45 PM   #220
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

Easily

I just finished the book and I must admit my opinion differs from the majority. I found it good but it didn't take my breath away. After finishing it I must say that the plot was quite interesting, but I think the "chopped" form was interrupting my concentration; I was just getting into a situation of, say, the Picard plot, when it was abruptly changed to the Breen only to be quickly changed to Bacco.

However, the plots coming together and explaining everything (including seemingly idiotic complains "why did you save me?" from Crusher, which turned out to be totally understandable after she said what she was really angry about), and leaving the answer to the question "what are the Breen up to?" until almost the last moment made it a book worth reading.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15 2014, 01:41 AM   #221
tomswift2002
Captain

I just finished this trilogy recently as well. While it was nice to see the return of Data, and the trail he was following to find the Immortal and his mother---it was kind of mediocre. I am interested in reading Immortal Coil (which has been sitting on my shelf for the last decade unread---just way too many books to read) to understand stuff more clearly that occurs in The Body Electric, but yeah, I was hoping for more from this trilogy and I just found that it did not deliver.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote