USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 30 2012, 03:47 AM   #31
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Gerry Anderson has passed away

Remember how big Thunderbirds became again in the 90s and Tracy Island was the must have for Christmas. I think the puppetry will always have a special quality that CGI just can't capture.
Old December 30 2012, 04:02 AM   #32
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Saul wrote: View Post
Remember how big Thunderbirds became again in the 90s and Tracy Island was the must have for Christmas. I think the puppetry will always have a special quality that CGI just can't capture.
some years back they did a re-release of the movie Thunderbird 6 in my home city (probably during the 90s resurgence) Now the session I went to wasn't exactly packed but I suspect the people there fell into three categories

Those who would have watched Thunderbirds first run, those like my self who watched the repeats in the 70s and 80s and the young kids being along with their fathers being seeing on the big screen.

Oh and when that abomination of a Frakes directed movie was coming (was it ever disavowed by Anderson?) I can remember seeing the poster and thinking what the hell is that? Then realised it was TB2.

BTW does anyone remember the Anime version from the early 80s? If not there was some eps on Youtube. Not quite Anderson quality and little to do with the original apart from the basic concepts (International Rescue, the Thunderbird craft each with a different role) but less of travesty than the movie).

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:39 AM   #33
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
To me, Gerry Anderson will probably always be the guy behind Thunderbirds and Space: 1999.
Probably. Be...cause he WAS.
The point being UFO, Fireball XL-5, and his other work does not come as immediately to mind. I know UFO in particular is often better liked than Space: 1999 in some circles (which was originally planned as a season of UFO).
Old December 30 2012, 10:01 AM   #34
lennier1
Commodore

Marc wrote: View Post
Oh and when that abomination of a Frakes directed movie was coming (was it ever disavowed by Anderson?) I can remember seeing the poster and thinking what the hell is that? Then realised it was TB2.
The Japanese initially only copied basic elements. The actual connection to Thunderbirds was only made in the English dub (title, dialogue, sound effects from Anderson shows, ...).
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 02:35 PM   #35
Saul
Rear Admiral

"the biggest load of crap I have ever seen in my entire life."- Gerry Anderson

Yep.
Old December 30 2012, 03:20 PM   #36
Seven of Five
Commodore

Haha. I could only stomach about 30 minutes of the film before feeling really sick. A truly horrible experience.

I grew up on the 90s reruns of Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet and Joe 90, so I feel similar to everyone else who posted. He was a man ahead of his time, and his work will endure long past his death.
Old January 2 2013, 04:20 AM   #37
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

Gerry Anderson will probably never be recognized as an the icon of Sci-Fi TV that he should be. His most remembered series, Space: 1999, tends to be derided in SFF fanboy circles who focus more on its failures (mostly involving the second season in which Anderson had lesser involvement in) than it's successes. And UFO is a outstanding SF series for its time that is not as well remembered as it should be. Also to his credit is the remarkable film "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" (aka Doppleganger).
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 03:15 PM   #38
Forbin
Admiral

Re: the Frakes T-Birds movie. Granted the original series was aimed at adolescents, thus, I guess, the decision to make the movie "for kids."

My argument is that the adolescents the series was made for are adults now, OLD adults! And they're the ones most interested in it. So why not make the movie a serious (but fun), mature updating of the concept for us grown-ups who loved the show as kids?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 02:40 AM   #39
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Re: the Frakes T-Birds movie. Granted the original series was aimed at adolescents, thus, I guess, the decision to make the movie "for kids."

My argument is that the adolescents the series was made for are adults now, OLD adults! And they're the ones most interested in it. So why not make the movie a serious (but fun), mature updating of the concept for us grown-ups who loved the show as kids?
Yet some of the Thunderbird stories lines weren't exactly kid even adolscent oriented, arson, murder, espionage, terrorism, hijacking.

But thankfully for the most part there were no kids Think there were maybe 3 maybe 4 eps which featured theme.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old January 3 2013, 03:07 AM   #40
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I like UFO the best... one of my favorites. Though apparently the idea that it was intended to be an S:1999 spinoff is actually a myth.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 04:59 AM   #41
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
I like UFO the best... one of my favorites. Though apparently the idea that it was intended to be an S:1999 spinoff is actually a myth.
It's the other way.

A second season for UFO (iirc) would have seen a much enlarged moonbase with Shado HQ moved from under the film studio to the lunar surface and taking place 20 years later.

However the ratings dropped towards the end of the run so a second season was shelved but a lot of design work had been done and Anderson was determined to do something with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_...nd_development

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Old January 3 2013, 05:29 AM   #42
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Yes of course, got those reversed lol...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 11:37 AM   #43
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Neil Gaiman pays his respects.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 01:23 PM   #44
MacLeod
Admiral

ToddPence wrote: View Post
Gerry Anderson will probably never be recognized as an the icon of Sci-Fi TV that he should be. His most remembered series, Space: 1999, tends to be derided in SFF fanboy circles who focus more on its failures (mostly involving the second season in which Anderson had lesser involvement in) than it's successes. And UFO is a outstanding SF series for its time that is not as well remembered as it should be. Also to his credit is the remarkable film "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" (aka Doppleganger).
Well if you include his supermarionation shows, he'll most likely be best remembered for likes "Thunderbirds" and "Captain Scarlet".
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 01:25 PM   #45
Australis
Writer

Yet some of the Thunderbird stories lines weren't exactly kid even adolscent oriented, arson, murder, espionage, terrorism, hijacking.

But thankfully for the most part there were no kids Think there were maybe 3 maybe 4 eps which featured theme.
I observed something interesting at my local mall when that film came out. There was a huge poster on a stand, and it looked pretty good, The interesting thing? The people that stopped to look at it were not the teens and youngsters it was directed at, but guys in their 30s and 40s. And that's the audience it should have been aimed at.

My dream project would be a live action Stingray made by Michael Bay. Yes, I'm odd.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote