New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 28 2012, 08:28 PM   #76
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Anyone familiar with the BBC version of Sherlock Holmes? (spoiler

I tended to associate Lucy Liu with Quentin Tarantino movies, which is not a positive thing. I had negative expectations for Elementary, thinking the female Watson was intended for Unresolved Sexual Tension, a trap they've completely evaded thus far. I had positive expectations for Sherlock because I associated Steven Moffat with Dr. Who, which is too fantasy/nostalgia oriented to be consistently appealing for me, but has many good things in its writing.

But there is one kind of expectation that it seems to me is inescapable in approaching a Holmes adaptation, which is expcting Holmes to be the protagonist. Sherlock's Holmes is a self-avowed sociopath, while Elementary's Holmes is flawed. One makes some people horny while the other's weakness is unattractive. Obviously tastes will differ but not finding the difference to be important is in a sense the same as claiming that taste is completely irrelevant. Our duty apparently is to just buy what the writers write? This is especially true because Sherlock and Elementary really are in very many ways not just alternatives but opposites.
Old January 1 2013, 03:08 AM   #77
mswood
Rear Admiral

Bob Cratchit wrote: View Post
If you're interested in checking out another British mystery/police drama then give Luther a go. It stars Idris Elba who was in The Wire, and along with Sherlock is one of crime/mystery shows I watch. It can be very dark. So far there have been 2 series with 6 episodes in the first series and 4 in the second. A third series of 4 episodes are due in the new year sometime.
The Wire is one of the finest things to ever come out of American tv, and I really enjoyed the first season of Luther, I didn't care for the 2nd that much, though.
Old January 1 2013, 05:53 AM   #78
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I watched one and a half episodes of The Wire and I was wishing I had taken up knitting to get through that much. Yes I seem to be missing something.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:18 AM   #79
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They don't get the wire/the bug/listening device installed in the drug dealers hut until the final episode of season one.

You begin to enjoy how the PoPo can't get anything done because the system is broken.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 12:50 PM   #80
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Luther.....got it. Idris Elba impressed in The Wire. That's an easy choice. Well, I watched the end of Jekyll.

Love it that Sherlock is making so many "best of" television lists for 2012 since it aired on PBS's Masterpiece. It deserves it. I'm now leaning towards John punching Sherlock in the face when the latter finally reveals his living status. As in why didn't you at least reveal it to me that you're alive once the shooters backed off if not to the public at large? John's put up with a great deal and emotions are a funny thing. You're afraid your child is lying dead in a ditch if she's out all night and then threaten to kill her when you find out she didn't think to call--that sort of reaction. I wonder how mad he'll be and if it will sustain into episode 2. It might be interesting if it did.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 12:05 AM   #81
Australis
Writer

"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 08:39 AM   #82
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

One of these days I need to get around to watching Sherlock. I'm a huge fan of Moffat's Doctor Who (well, Who in general, but the 11/Ponds era is stellar). Plus, you know, it's gotten such rave reviews from everywhere.

But there's always this nagging "No, you should be focusing on Doctor Who!" ....as if creative types can't do multiple things (and as if I didn't enjoy both Buffy and Angel albeit late to the party). Maybe it's because there's relatively so few episodes of British shows anyway compared to what I'm used to with US shows.
Old January 2 2013, 10:50 PM   #83
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

iTunes had the first episode in HD free the other day so I finally got around to watching the pilot and caught another episode on telly and I love it, I'll be picking up the DVD set tomorrow and giving it all a good watch through.
Old January 2 2013, 11:29 PM   #84
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

I couldn't stop laughing my fool head off when Sherlock had his little hissy fit at John telling him to "better yet, stop inflicting your opinions on the world" and when John says he's leaving Sherlock is like, "Where are you going?" Dammit, you're supposed to stay and fight with me when I'm having a tantrum.

Does Sherlock even call him "John" in any other incarnation of the characters?

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old January 2 2013, 11:58 PM   #85
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Does Sherlock even call him "John" in any other incarnation of the characters?
Yes, Rathbone, Brett, Cushing and Downey Jr. all do.
Old January 3 2013, 12:15 AM   #86
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Well, that goes to show how little Sherlock Holmes I've watched prior to now.

I watched a few BAFTA clips. Sherlock itself has won for best drama series. Freeman's won as best supporting actor for 2011--he is one funny guy. Andrew Scott's Moriarty won as best supporting actor in 2012--he's a strikingly soft spoken guy who morphs somehow into an unstable psycho. The only one who hasn't won is Cumberbatch himself, which is damnably odd.

When Dominic West (the 2012 winner for lead) actually jokes that his own sister is "crying her eyes out that you didn't win, Ben" during his acceptance speech--that's some funny shit. Apparently it's been a subject of discussion.

Old January 8 2013, 06:41 PM   #87
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Bought and watched both series, please tell me there's another one soon.
Old January 8 2013, 07:02 PM   #88
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I've heard its going to be later this year, but because the actors are busy I have also heard it may be held back till 2014.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 07:11 PM   #89
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I've heard its going to be later this year, but because the actors are busy I have also heard it may be held back till 2014.
Yep, they apparently don't start production while the Spring, so it could be any time from Winter this year to Summer next year before it's on the air.
Old January 8 2013, 07:18 PM   #90
stj
Rear Admiral

There was so much raving that I tried The Great Game. There were some amusing lines of course. But I got very impatient wondering why Sherlock didn't seem to realize the game was to distract him from the plans, until he withheld the solution to get ahead of the game. Then at the end, when we're supposed to be all surprised that Holmes was an upstanding patriot, he was just pretending to get on Watson's nerves. How pointlessly unpleasant. The extraordinary collection of mannerisms, tics, spasms and random changes of pitch that was called Moriarty was vivd but not impressive.

Scandal in Belgravia rewrote Adler as a whore in love with Holmes because he both beat her and saved her. I'm not particularly sentimental about the Adler character (I enjoyed the equally criminal version in Zero Effect.) But opting to make the make significant female figure in the series a dominatrix seems rather backward. Also, the line about Holmes and Watson being a couple was an unpleasant reminder that Waton is in an abusive relationship.

Hounds of Baskerville was just dull. Haven't just started Reichenbach Fall, but I'm really having trouble accepting the villains whose plan starts with being captured as charcters to take seriously. Worse, not entertaining either.