Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 1 2013, 06:56 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 or Lexx?

You can get beer and Pizza on amazon? HD=home delivery, right?

The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:17 AM   #32
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Buy Firefly instead, spend the extra money on beer and pizza.
Really, a perfect evening.

Now if I had someone to watch it with that might be even more perfect, though I'm so used to watching such shows in the complete privacy of headphones on the computer that I might just irritated.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 12:34 PM   #33
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
[There's more to Lexx than that (although that's definitely part of it). It's best episodes are bizarre surreal farces - a character playing a game of chess with a Death-like antagonist, the cast being compelled to sing in a musical about the undead character's living days. At it's worst, Lexx is the worst TV show I've willingly sat through, but in its better hours, it was pretty fun.

But to answer the OP's question, Babylon 5 is a better purchase. Lexx has it's moments, but it's wildly uneven and it's probably too weird and/or too filthy or too often terrible for most viewers. And even then, when it comes to outre space opera, Farscape is by far the better series
That's a pretty good summation for me. Although in the end I went with both, having skipped on broadcast TV for releases on DVD/streaming, why not enjoy both.
Old January 2 2013, 04:31 PM   #34
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Babylon 5 and Lexx are as apples and oranges as you can get the only thing that these two shows have in common is that they are set in space and feature organic starships.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 05:18 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
Babylon 5 and Lexx are as apples and oranges as you can get the only thing that these two shows have in common is that they are set in space and feature organic starships.
Yeah, it's kind of like comparing a straight version of Frankenstein to The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

They both have mad scientists, but . . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; January 2 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 06:58 PM   #36
Forbin
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's kind of like comparing a straight version of Frankenstein to The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

That's the best analogy ever.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 09:16 PM   #37
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

That's the best analogy ever.
Thanks! And pretty on-target, I think.
Old January 2 2013, 11:31 PM   #38
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ It is.

Well, the decision's been made, but I'll weigh in anyway, since these are both among my favorite shows. Basically, as has been said, they are way too different to be comparable.

Babylon 5 is classic SF-slanted Space Opera in an Asimovian vein, with big, epic ideas, lots of interesting characters and a storyline that spans centuries. In terms of quality, it is on the same level as stuff like Star Trek, Stargate and Firefly (and the special effects are fine-- people complain about them being primitive, but the bottom line is that the show looks beautiful, like the original Star Trek).

Lexx is classic Adventure-slanted Space Opera in a somewhat twisted Jack Vance vein. It's clever, funny and very exotic-- although not as erotic as people seem to think (at least not on my erotic-o-meter). The characters are very weird, but mostly lovable. In terms of quality, it is the equal of Star Trek and Babylon 5-- season three and The Lost Tales respectively.

And the series finales of both are tear jerkers.