TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 1 2013, 03:45 PM   #16
lurok
Commodore

Re: The West Wing now on Netflix

It does feel like a series of two halves, and I'm sure there's a stylistic change around S4/5 which makes it feel more doco style, less those long follow-shots. Plus I have issues with some of the latter casting/character changes. But I was genuinely surprised how topical many of the issues still felt (the corn/ethanol one comes to mind). And I loved the CJ/egg thing you mentioned many moons ago. Was a bit wtf but I give it a pass
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 06:13 PM   #17
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Pretty much everyone is out of character, it's unusually episodic, and the stories are just dull. Thankfully, the election storyline in the final two seasons gave the show some much needed direction and I think the show ended on a high.
That's how I feel, there are some OK stories in season 5, like the Supreme Court nomination episode, but you just can't enjoy it to the fullest because they characters were such asshole and out of place.

The best thing they did was skip a year and go to the election. I wish they planned it better so the year didn't just disappear, but most people don't notice that.
Old January 1 2013, 08:16 PM   #18
shivkala
Rear Admiral

santa biggles wrote: View Post
Give C.J. and Toby time; C.J. was one of the best-written female characters on TV, and Allison Janney would win four Emmys for her portrayal. As for Mandy... well, all I'll say is don't sweat it.
I guess it's just that the first two episodes focus more on Josh and Sam than Toby or C.J. Episode 2 has C.J. confronting the Vice-President (who is now tied with Mandy for my least favorite character), so I can tell they're going to focus on her. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike her or Toby, I just haven't seen enough of them yet.

Aside from Sam, Toby, and C.J. (and for the smart-alecks, Bartlett and Mrs. Landingham have pretty defined jobs as well!), the character's job descriptions aren't well fleshed out. I really want to see the organizational chart Josh's office is working on for Mandy!

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Yeah let the characters grow. If you really hate the show there are about 5 episodes from season 1 that are most important to the storyline. I saw watch those and move on to season 2. Seasons 2-3 are the best of West Wing 1.0.
I don't hate the show, I quite enjoyed the first two episodes. The only things I hate are Mandy and the V.P. (the latter I'm sure I'm not supposed to like).

Only about five people in the whole world like Mandy, so don't worry about it. She ran PR for a President who didn't like being managed by PR people, so she doesn't have much of a role on the show beyond the opening episodes. She typically just shows up for one or two scenes per episode to justify being part of the main cast, and is then unceremoniously dumped.
Can I assume among those five are Aaron Sorkin and Moira Kelley?

Toby is an excellent character if you like the cynical, brooding sort, and he works as an excellent foil for Bartlet. They love each other, but they have a way of getting underneath each other's skin and that leads to some explosive situations.
He handled himself well in the meeting in episode 1. I liked how he called that Mary woman out on her "New York" comment!

Cool, I'll tell a friend of mine. I bought my grandma all the DVD sets years ago and one of the episodes from season 6 doesn't play because it's starched! Was so pissed. (It was too late to return it.)
My sister mentioned she never bought the DVDs, even after seeing a great Cyber-Monday price on the full-set due to a lot of complaints about the quality of the DVDs. Shame, really, but it's nice that there are options for watching it streaming.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 09:02 PM   #19
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Aaron Sorkin was the one who did the dumping, so no.
Old January 1 2013, 09:46 PM   #20
Snaploud
Admiral

The post-Sorkin years (season 5 through 7) only really blossomed when they got out of the White House and followed the presidential campaign.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 11:13 PM   #21
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

I'll be re-watching this. I loved the West Wing...I'm a big Toby fan.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 08:21 AM   #22
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
Yeah let the characters grow. If you really hate the show there are about 5 episodes from season 1 that are most important to the storyline. I saw watch those and move on to season 2. Seasons 2-3 are the best of West Wing 1.0.
I don't hate the show, I quite enjoyed the first two episodes. The only things I hate are Mandy and the V.P. (the latter I'm sure I'm not supposed to like).

Cool, I'll tell a friend of mine. I bought my grandma all the DVD sets years ago and one of the episodes from season 6 doesn't play because it's starched! Was so pissed. (It was too late to return it.)
My sister mentioned she never bought the DVDs, even after seeing a great Cyber-Monday price on the full-set due to a lot of complaints about the quality of the DVDs. Shame, really, but it's nice that there are options for watching it streaming.

That was more aimed at anyone who reads the topic and might not like the first season because it's a slow burn for a bit. The first two episode, the last one or two, a random episode I can't tell you why it's important, and the one the president has the flu. Are the important ones from the season.

Oddly the complete set is better. The season DVD have double sided disc for seasons 1-3. All work fine besides one disc.
Old January 2 2013, 01:01 PM   #23
lurok
Commodore

I've been watching donated R2 DVD complete set and quality seems pretty good, esp latter seasons.
Old January 2 2013, 03:02 PM   #24
MacLeod
Admiral

This show should be released on blu-ray.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 03:18 PM   #25
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
Aside from Sam, Toby, and C.J. (and for the smart-alecks, Bartlett and Mrs. Landingham have pretty defined jobs as well!), the character's job descriptions aren't well fleshed out. I really want to see the organizational chart Josh's office is working on for Mandy!
Here you go.

Leo pretty much runs the West Wing, he manages everything so that the President is freed up to focus on important policy decisions, and as such his job is arguably more demanding than the President's. Leo is also the only member of of the senior staff to be involved in military decisions and sits at the President's side in the Situation Room.

Josh is Deputy Chief of Staff, which is a fancy title that doesn't seem to mean much. His main role is to direct political affairs, it's his job to push the President's agenda through congress and the various government departments.

Toby is the Communications Director, so he orchestrates the President's message and decides how it's presented to the public, although he rarely deals with the press directly. He's also the President's main speech-writer. Sam is Toby's deputy, and he works with Toby on the speeches.

CJ is the Press Secretary and it's indicated that she technically works under Toby, but in practice she does her own thing and reports directly to Leo.

Mandy's job is to annoy people while they're trying to do actual work. She answers to Josh and she answers to Toby.

Donna is pretty much Josh's secretary. Her role in the first season is to not understand how the government works so that Josh can explain everything to the audience.

Charlie is the lowest ranked of the main cast and has no official role in policy, but he works extremely closely with the President and has a desk right outside the Oval Office. His job is to be the token black guy.

In practice, Josh, Toby, Sam and CJ are equals and have easy access to the President without having to go through Leo.

The best thing they did was skip a year and go to the election. I wish they planned it better so the year didn't just disappear, but most people don't notice that.
I think a lot of fans noticed the missing year, we just didn't care if it meant avoiding another season like the fifth.

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
I've been watching donated R2 DVD complete set and quality seems pretty good, esp latter seasons.
My only problem with the DVDs is that season 3 is in anamorphic widescreen, which looks terrible on a widescreen TV. Also, the R2 DVDs have no special features, which is a pity as I would very much like to hear the commentary to Twenty Five. Just what was going through Aaron Sorkin's head, leaving the show with such an insane cliffhanger?
Old January 2 2013, 03:37 PM   #26
lurok
Commodore

I've been surprised at lack of features too, apart from some ropey interviews on S1 collection. The set I've been watching is the old amaray one. I've heard there's a doco special feature on (US?) boxed set which has interviews with real-life politicos, and some deleted scenes. I'd like to see those when finish S7. That debate episode was interesting
Old January 2 2013, 04:47 PM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

The R2 release were woeful on the extras compared to the R1 releases. Nice to have a multi-region DVD player though.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 05:39 PM   #28
Cap.T
Lieutenant Commander

I also hope the show will come out on Blu-Ray soon. Are they in HD on Netflix?
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 05:49 PM   #29
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I think a lot of fans noticed the missing year, we just didn't care if it meant avoiding another season like the fifth.

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
My only problem with the DVDs is that season 3 is in anamorphic widescreen, which looks terrible on a widescreen TV. Also, the R2 DVDs have no special features, which is a pity as I would very much like to hear the commentary to Twenty Five. Just what was going through Aaron Sorkin's head, leaving the show with such an insane cliffhanger?
Haha! That's one of the only episodes I listened tout! He's like it's hard leaving in the middle of the story but he had to leave. The job was killing him and pissing NBC off. The thing I really like is his plan had them being Christains and not Muslims. I'm being vague for the newbies. He would connect it more to the season 1 storyline.
Old January 2 2013, 06:26 PM   #30
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I don't know if the Netflix releases are in HD, but it was strange to see the first season in widescreen when I watched it recently.

I guess they'll never release the show on disc at this point though.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote