Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 30 2012, 04:55 PM   #31
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Need a good starter episode for a newbie

IMO - the episode the encapsulates 'Star Trek' for me is:

The Corbomite Manuever (And I still think it's one of the best Star Trek episodes from any of the 6 series <-- I'm also counting TAS .)

The ship is exploring the edge of known space. All the characters have good bits in the episode, and there's some suspense and danger; and it's essentially a 'Fisrt Contact' situation as well.

And if you don't care for 'hokey special effects' show him the remastered version. Hell, even in syndication these days the channel show the series in my area is showing the remastered version of the episodes.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 05:07 AM   #32
erastus25
Commodore

In my experience, Shore Leave never fails. Space Seed is another good choice. You even get a badass McCoy moment!
Old August 31 2012, 02:20 PM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

erastus25 wrote: View Post
In my experience, Shore Leave never fails.
That could depend on gender. I have a soft spot for Shore Leave myself, but a female acquaintance once rolled her eyes a bit at the 60's era sexism. McCoy showing up with two scantily-clad showgirls, the yeoman wanting to be carried off by Don Juan, etc.

And Ruth is probably the most boring of all Kirk's ex-flames.

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 31 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:26 PM   #34
T'Grinch
T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon

I'd go with The Trouble With Tribbles.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 03:57 AM   #35
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View emergencyfruit's Twitter Profile

We went with Balance of Terror, and mission accomplished! He loved it! Thanks so much, everyone! While we ran out of time to watch a second episode, he is eagerly awaiting the next one. Corbomite or Tribbles will be next on the list, and then I'll set him loose to explore on his own. This is really awesome - thanks a million times, guys!
emergencyfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 05:07 PM   #36
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
I still think you need to have a baseline knowledge of the characters for that episode to have its full effect.

If the viewer does not know anything about Kirk, Spock, Scotty, McCoy, or Chekov to begin with, then the intentional caricatures of themselves that were presented too us loses their meaning.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 05:15 PM   #37
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
T'Bonz wrote: View Post
I still think you need to have a baseline knowledge of the characters for that episode to have its full effect.

If the viewer does not know anything about Kirk, Spock, Scotty, McCoy, or Chekov to begin with, then the intentional caricatures of themselves that were presented too us loses their meaning.
I think it's the same with The Naked Time and Mirror, Mirror.

OP: Now that he has seen Balance of Terror and liked it, maybe you should just let him watch the episodes in either production order or airdate order.
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 06:06 AM   #38
Mr_Homn
Captain

The Doomsday Machine is what hooked my buddy.
Old January 1 2013, 10:20 PM   #39
Nacluv
Lieutenant Commander

My girlfriend has decided that she wants to be a part of my biggest reason to live, my passion for the cinema. We understood that it would neither be very easy or much point in trying to converge and agglutinate our tastes (and especially since she wants to become versed in what kind of movies I watch) so we don't make any kind of accommodations and literally force one another to watch what ever movie that person desires. So far, the only good thing is that at least I get to see new movies for a change. This evening we've seen MILF, The Strangers and Rogue River and later tonight she will submit to Perché si uccide un magistrato, Laugh, Clown Laugh (her first silent flick haha) and two Star Trek TOS & TNG episodes. Altough annoyed at the fact that I only choose movies I've wanted to rewatch many times but usually do not allow myself to as I have so many different projects and movies that I must see, she's looking forward to seeing Star Trek, since it's such a big deal to me.

The episodes I've picked are The Enemy Within and The Measure of a Man. I personally feel that those are pretty good episodes to introduce someone to Star Trek. Any opinions?
Nacluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 10:26 PM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nacluv wrote: View Post
The episodes I've picked are The Enemy Within and The Measure of a Man. I personally feel that those are pretty good episodes to introduce someone to Star Trek. Any opinions?
Good choices, especially Measure of a Man.

For TOS, you might also consider "Balance of Terror," "The Doomsday Machine," or "City on the Edge of Forever."
Old January 2 2013, 07:41 AM   #41
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

emergencyfruit wrote: View Post
We went with Balance of Terror, and mission accomplished! He loved it! Thanks so much, everyone! While we ran out of time to watch a second episode, he is eagerly awaiting the next one. Corbomite or Tribbles will be next on the list, and then I'll set him loose to explore on his own. This is really awesome - thanks a million times, guys!
I'm glad this thread got bumped so I got to see it.

I'm curious how the rest of this story went down. It seems to me that someone could like Balance and Corbomite, and not like seasons two and three, what with the changes of producers etc.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 03:36 PM   #42
TheRealSuluh
Ensign

I second both "Space Seed" and "The Trouble With Tribbles".

"Space Seed" because it introduces Khan and you'd have to have lived under a rock for the last 35 years not to know who Khan Noonien Singh is.

"The Trouble With Tribbles" because it is one of the most famous episodes outside Trek-dom. Bonus points if you watch "Trials & Tribble-ations" from DS9, too. In fact, I'd probably watch that episode of DS9 as a "gateway episode" to TOS.

If he's a gamer, get him hooked on STO (Star Trek Online). Then he'll have to work his way through all the series so that he can keep up with the 'verse.
TheRealSuluh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 04:33 PM   #43
SnowboredShipCapt'n
Commodore

[QUOTE=Sindatur;6875927]
Nacluv wrote: View Post
Another really popular episode I've never cared a whole lot for is "The Giant Flying Terd" one, The Doomsday Machine.
It's a "Bugle," actually.

SnowboredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 07:11 PM   #44
Metryq
Captain

Methos wrote: View Post
Failing that, find some green bodypaint and wear that while watching The Cage.
Count me in! Cosplayers can be dangerous, though.

By the way, did anyone else think red lipstick on a green woman looked a little weird? (That is, unless Orions are red-blooded. Blush response and all that.)
Old January 30 2013, 10:53 AM   #45
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Since it was a Star Wars fan (original trilogy) that needed to be "turned" I agree that the cat-and-mouse play of "Balance of Terror" was (obviously) a good choice as it's similar to events in "The Empire Strikes Back".

"The Corbomite Maneuver" (it was the first regular episode of TOS, most impressive!) revealed that Captain Kirk wouldn't have been up to play a game of poker with Han Solo. Understandably the ghost of Bill Shatner told the protagonist in Meyer-Burnett's "Free Enterprise" to kick the butt of the Star Wars antagonist who claimed Han Solo was cooler than Captain Kirk ( Can you believe that?).

And then there is "The Doomsday-Machine" that obviously came before the Death Star of Star Wars. Another concept pretty palatable to a Star Wars fan and revealing that some ideas of Star Wars had been there first in TOS (even if the VFX, admittedly, didn't look that great).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote