RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,940
Posts: 5,479,005
Members: 25,057
Currently online: 483
Newest member: JeremiahJT

TrekToday headlines

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 2 2013, 02:10 AM   #316
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post


Worse - the line referred to appeared in the second pilot - where they hadn't even had time to develop the characters, hell, Spock is practically smiling in that same second pilot episode when he states;

"Ah, one of your Earth emotions."
Good point. Did the show ever describe the young Kirk in those terms again, or was that just an odd artifact from the pilot that was largely forgotten as the show found itself--like Dr. Piper and the phaser rifle and "Jame R. Kirk"?
Maybe, I'd have to go over the Finnegan dialouge in Shore Leave. That's the only one of the top of my head that might.
Hmm. That would be the right place to look . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:12 AM   #317
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Then why did the 2009 film make nearly as much money as all four Next Gen films combined?
1) Marketing. JJ-Trek was advertised everywhere whereas Nemesis came and went with only us noticing.

2) Over-saturation of Star Trek. Dunno about USA but here in Britain TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT were constantly on television. BBC2 was flooded with Trek and Sky One may as well have been renamed "The Star Trek Channel". The audience needed to miss Star Trek until they'd pay for it.

You don't pay to go see a hooker if you've got your sexy wife at home that'll screw ya for free. You only do it if you're single and there's nothing else available.
Your reasoning simply does not work... First Contact premiered while both DS9 and Voyager were on the air and TNG was in reruns here in the States and it had no issue selling tickets. It was a success because it took something that was popular in the mainstream, zombies, and put a Trek coat of paint on it.

It's like saying The Final Frontier failed because Next Gen was on the air, which is what Shatner said. The quote was something along the lines of "who looks forward to turkey when they're having turkey sandwiches everyday", which was horseshit then and is horseshit now.

Modern Trek simply couldn't sustain itself in the long run. It wasn't that it was terrible but it never changed.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:14 AM   #318
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
No one denies the success of TNG, but DS9, VOY and ENT didn't come close to it and are the reason it isn't on the air now. If they had all been successful, Star Trek would still be on television now.
VOY and DS9 have over double the amount of seasons that TOS has.

There's just no way anybody will be able to convince me that 25 seasons is the sign of failure. It's a bloody miracle in television for a sci-fi show to get this much. Look how long Firefly lasted! And I never see people saying that show got cancelled because it was crap either.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:14 AM   #319
Awesome Possum
I've Been Rebooted
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Space
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Kevin W. wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Then why did the 2009 film make nearly as much money as all four Next Gen films combined?
Lowest common denominator.
So what we need is androids swearing, bald action stars as well as ignoring everything he ever did, planet of the immortal hippies and mind rape?

That's some high brow material.
__________________
"Without the sunglasses, Weekend at Bernie's would have been a very dark, strange tale."
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:17 AM   #320
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Kevin W. wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Then why did the 2009 film make nearly as much money as all four Next Gen films combined?
Lowest common denominator.
Not to mention the fact that FIRST CONTACT is the only really first-rate NextGen movie . . . .

If you had to be marooned on a desert island with only one of the last five Trek movies, would anyone really choose Insurrection or Nemesis?

And remember, prior to the new movie, the most successful Trek movie was the one was the whales . . . which was funny and breezy and accessible to fans and non-fans like. Probably something to be learned there.

"Popular" is not a dirty word, especially where pop culture is concerned.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:18 AM   #321
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
If you had to be marooned on a desert island with only one of the last five Trek movies, would anyone really choose Insurrection or Nemesis?
I'd pick Insurrection but I'd feel dirty about it. It's the only one that really resembles Star Trek.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:20 AM   #322
Awesome Possum
I've Been Rebooted
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Space
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
No one denies the success of TNG, but DS9, VOY and ENT didn't come close to it and are the reason it isn't on the air now. If they had all been successful, Star Trek would still be on television now.
VOY and DS9 have over double the amount of seasons that TOS has.

There's just no way anybody will be able to convince me that 25 seasons is the sign of failure. It's a bloody miracle in television for a sci-fi show to get this much. Look how long Firefly lasted! And I never see people saying that show got cancelled because it was crap either.
DS9 ran in syndication where it could last that long and VOY ran on a network so crappy it made Homeboys in Outer Space. Both in a time when cable tv wasn't really a problem yet and in VOY's case the company that owned it also owned the channel.

Also despite running twice as long, neither had the impact the original did and both are largely unknown to non-Trek fans.
__________________
"Without the sunglasses, Weekend at Bernie's would have been a very dark, strange tale."
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:20 AM   #323
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Re: Bond and Trek, I think the reason they succeeded is much more so for being well done, than being a reboot.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:22 AM   #324
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote: View Post
A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
No one denies the success of TNG, but DS9, VOY and ENT didn't come close to it and are the reason it isn't on the air now. If they had all been successful, Star Trek would still be on television now.
VOY and DS9 have over double the amount of seasons that TOS has.

There's just no way anybody will be able to convince me that 25 seasons is the sign of failure. It's a bloody miracle in television for a sci-fi show to get this much. Look how long Firefly lasted! And I never see people saying that show got cancelled because it was crap either.
DS9 ran in syndication where it could last that long and VOY ran on a network so crappy it made Homeboys in Outer Space. Both in a time when cable tv wasn't really a problem yet and in VOY's case the company that owned it also owned the channel.

Also despite running twice as long, neither had the impact the original did and both are largely unknown to non-Trek fans.
Hell, the only reason we got a fourth season of Enterprise was because Paramount wanted to have enough episodes to sell into syndication.

And every series after TNG suffered from sliding ratings.
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:23 AM   #325
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
DS9 ran in syndication where it could last that long and VOY ran on a network so crappy it made Homeboys in Outer Space. Both in a time when cable tv wasn't really a problem yet and in VOY's case the company that owned it also owned the channel.

Also despite running twice as long, neither had the impact the original did and both are largely unknown to non-Trek fans.
I think it's pretty harsh to judge their impact against the original Star Trek series which is the most widely known sci-fi show of all-time across the world. If DS9 had more impact than that it'd be an act of the Prophets.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:25 AM   #326
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
DS9 ran in syndication where it could last that long and VOY ran on a network so crappy it made Homeboys in Outer Space. Both in a time when cable tv wasn't really a problem yet and in VOY's case the company that owned it also owned the channel.

Also despite running twice as long, neither had the impact the original did and both are largely unknown to non-Trek fans.
I think it's pretty harsh to judge their impact against the original Star Trek series which is the most widely known sci-fi show of all-time across the world. If DS9 had more impact than that it'd be an act of the Prophets.
Problem is that it had no long term impact. It quickly was shuffled off TV here in the States even after The National Network paid a billion dollars for the right to air all of Modern Trek. Only Next Gen is still on TV here of the four modern series.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:26 AM   #327
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: 221B BakerStreet
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
DS9 ran in syndication where it could last that long and VOY ran on a network so crappy it made Homeboys in Outer Space. Both in a time when cable tv wasn't really a problem yet and in VOY's case the company that owned it also owned the channel.

Also despite running twice as long, neither had the impact the original did and both are largely unknown to non-Trek fans.
I think it's pretty harsh to judge their impact against the original Star Trek series which is the most widely known sci-fi show of all-time across the world. If DS9 had more impact than that it'd be an act of the Prophets.
That does little to help your argument and a lot to help the opposing view.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:27 AM   #328
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
If you had to be marooned on a desert island with only one of the last five Trek movies, would anyone really choose Insurrection or Nemesis?
I'd pick Insurrection but I'd feel dirty about it. It's the only one that really resembles Star Trek.
I'd go with the new movie of the last five, but would be torn between Khan and TVH if I had all the movies to choose from.

Honestly, there's no need to bash TNG and DS9 and the rest. They all had good long runs, and have now entered TV history along with lots of great old shows that had their day in the sun. But nothing lasts forever and reboots are not the devil. The old cycle is over now, so bring the next cycle. That's just how it works.

As I've joked before, I'm old enough to have lived through at least five different live-action versions of SUPERMAN with a sixth on the way. A new take on STAR TREK was inevitable one of these days.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:31 AM   #329
Awesome Possum
I've Been Rebooted
 
Awesome Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Space
View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
A Very Jewel Christmas wrote: View Post
DS9 ran in syndication where it could last that long and VOY ran on a network so crappy it made Homeboys in Outer Space. Both in a time when cable tv wasn't really a problem yet and in VOY's case the company that owned it also owned the channel.

Also despite running twice as long, neither had the impact the original did and both are largely unknown to non-Trek fans.
I think it's pretty harsh to judge their impact against the original Star Trek series which is the most widely known sci-fi show of all-time across the world. If DS9 had more impact than that it'd be an act of the Prophets.
That's because DS9 never came close to having the same audience. That's the problem with Trek as it went on, less and less people watched it. It was a success in the same way the Titanic was. People enjoyed the ride at first, then it become less enjoyable and wound up at the bottom of ocean.
__________________
"Without the sunglasses, Weekend at Bernie's would have been a very dark, strange tale."
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:31 AM   #330
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
If you had to be marooned on a desert island with only one of the last five Trek movies, would anyone really choose Insurrection or Nemesis?
I'd pick Insurrection but I'd feel dirty about it. It's the only one that really resembles Star Trek.
It certainly resembles a two-hour TNG TV episode.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.