Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 1 2013, 03:27 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: A longpig sandwich

You would know it wouldn't. And you'd be in the same territory Australia is now with its live sheep exports for halal meat.

I'm sure there would be colonies of luddites who wanted to embrace a lifestyle which included real meat, whether for religious reasons or not.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 03:42 AM   #17
Wereghost
Commodore

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Why make animals suffer and die when you can eat re-sequenced protein versions?
If it comes out of a hole in the wall, then your passover meal didn't come from a unblemished, one year old male lamb.

I'm sure that if wafer and wine can become the body and blood of Jesus Christ then printed meat can be invested with the essence of one-year-old-male-lambdom.

Last edited by Wereghost; January 1 2013 at 12:26 PM.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 10:45 AM   #18
Melakon
Vice Admiral

And a rabbi would somehow have to approve proper replication of Kosher meals.
Old January 1 2013, 06:32 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

And you know this should/could kill the whole meat industry. Why make animals suffer and die when you can eat re-sequenced protein versions?
Apparentally it has. When Chief O'Brien said his mother used actual, non-replicated meat in her meals, Keiko was surprised she would do such a thing.
Old January 1 2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I'd have the replicator make me some of the original Coca-Cola, the kind that actually had cocaine in it, but that's just me.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:04 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral

So the meat industry is over and probably the milk industry too.. animals are now kept purely for enjoyment and their breeding curtailed. I suppose some people would still eat eggs from their own yard chickens but I bet there are whole generations of people who consider real flesh and actual milk from animals and eggs that came out of a real chicken to be gross.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 2 2013, 02:07 AM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

Dantheman wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd have the replicator make me some of the original Coca-Cola, the kind that actually had cocaine in it, but that's just me.
That reminds me of how rarely any kind of cola was mentioned in Trek. Just see how little there is on Memory Alpha here. Hell, soda pop in general gets very little love in Trek.
Old January 2 2013, 02:08 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Dantheman wrote: View Post
That reminds me of how rarely any kind of cola was mentioned in Trek. Just see how little there is on Memory Alpha here. Hell, soda pop in general gets very little love in Trek.
Coke is like rock music, they've all evolved beyond it. It's all jazz and merlot baby.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 2 2013, 02:38 AM   #24
The Wormhole
Admiral

Root beer still exists in the 24th century, why the hell can't Coke? Or even Pepsi, for those who prefer the Blue over the Red.
Old January 2 2013, 03:26 AM   #25
teacake
Admiral

Yeah what the heck do they mix their synthe-rum with?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 2 2013, 03:48 AM   #26
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

And you know this should/could kill the whole meat industry. Why make animals suffer and die when you can eat re-sequenced protein versions?
Apparentally it has. When Chief O'Brien said his mother used actual, non-replicated meat in her meals, Keiko was surprised she would do such a thing.
Well Picard was also fond of real caviar so humans do still eat animal products.

This does beg the question whether or not humans ever really have to eat ANYTHING that was ever alive? Why limit it to animals when replicators are just as capable of replicating plants. There could be an entire social movement on Earth advocating complete human removal from the food chain.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 04:11 AM   #27
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Well Picard was also fond of real caviar so humans do still eat animal products.

This does beg the question whether or not humans ever really have to eat ANYTHING that was ever alive? Why limit it to animals when replicators are just as capable of replicating plants. There could be an entire social movement on Earth advocating complete human removal from the food chain.
Then the power goes out and everyone is fucked...
Old January 2 2013, 04:30 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral

I can see them running outside and staring wildly at the ground, looking for real vegetables.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 2 2013, 06:08 PM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
There must still be a demand for actual food, since replicated food is often said to be inferior to the genuine article. Though I suppose there might be a minority who prefer to eat only replicated food.

Last edited by The Wormhole; January 3 2013 at 01:44 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 11:25 PM   #30
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

I always assumed soft drinks weren't shown on Star Trek because of product placement reasons, much like having certain kinds of rock music would date the show. But considering how Quark once mentioned root beer, it was always there, lurking unseen in the background.
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote