Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Seriously, who the hell is she??
A long overdue family reunion - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Susan! 1 1.56%
The One Who Got Away - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Romana! 3 4.69%
'Til Death do us part? I don't think so, Sweetie - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated post-Library River! 0 0%
She's a MAN, man - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Master! 0 0%
If at first you don't succeed... - Clara's the ultimate Anti-Doctor weapon of the Silence, Mark II! 3 4.69%
A sneak preview of things to come - Clara's a Watcher, but WILL BE the Twelfth Doctor! 0 0%
Hello again - Clara's a fobwatched, future (post-Doctor) version of Sexy! 2 3.13%
Eye See You - Clara's Prisoner Zero! 0 0%
You'll never see it coming - None of the above, and even stranger than all! 56 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 1 2013, 09:11 PM   #91
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^And what I'm saying is that I don't think that's how it was meant.
I don't think that's how it was meant either, but the possibility exists, and stranger things have happened on the show.
I don't think it was foreshadowing either; my guess is that Moffat didn't have time for the Doctor to go into an explanation (he didn't even have enough time to explain how the Doctor defeated the GI ).
Old January 2 2013, 12:38 AM   #92
Iamnotspock
Captain

I think that's reading too much into the Doctor's memory lapse about the GI. Remember, most viewers of the new series aren't familiar with the old series, and the new episodes have to be made to stand on their own.

In-universe, the Doctor is supposed to be over eleven hundred years old now, and was less than 450 when he encountered the Intelligence. How well do you remember things from nearly 2/3 of your lifetime ago? Even with a lifetime far shorter than the Doctor's?
I of course considered that, and it is perhaps the most obvious interpretation, but I'm just supposing that it may be something more given the theme of memory running through the whole Moffat era to date, and this episode in particular; the memory worm, "run, you clever boy... and remember," and with the 50th coming up it would make sense for them to do something that harks back to the old days. It just felt like foreshadowing to me.

Having the Doctor remember the details of his previous encounters with the Great Intelligence and explain them to somebody would've been too much of a distraction from the current story, so it had to be kept an Easter egg, a passing reference that would mean something to the old-school fans but not distract or confuse the modern viewers.
I don't think it would've been as it could have been done very quickly, as with the encounters with other classic foes. It didn't require any detailed synopsis of the GI's earlier appearances - something like "there are Cybermen in our universe" is all you'd need, like "I've fought it before... a long time ago. I didn't make the connection at first." That wouldn't distract or confuse the casual viewers (most of them are smart; they know it's a 50 year-old show - it's a mainstream British institution and the upcoming anniversary has been mentioned a fair bit in the press already - and would likely gather that it's a reference to an old story without it hampering their enjoyment) and would be a nice Easter Egg for the die-hards.

The "it rings a bell" was instead far too jarring and distracting to this long-time fan (even if the intent was to simply suggest that the Doctor's getting on a bit, it runs the risk of being misinterpreted, hence this discussion). The Doctor has often talked of events from his past - including his childhood - with a degree of clarity. The Web of Fear was the adventure that included his first meeting with a certain Col. Lethbridge-Stewart, and I'm not sure he'd just forget that, no matter how long ago it was now (if he is just forgetting these things due to old age, then he's in trouble, as a man is the sum of his memories, a Time Lord even more so...).
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 01:22 AM   #93
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

I reckon she's susan.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 01:36 AM   #94
Iamnotspock
Captain

Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
I reckon she's susan.
She kissed him.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 01:40 AM   #95
Christopher
Writer

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
I don't think it would've been as it could have been done very quickly, as with the encounters with other classic foes. It didn't require any detailed synopsis of the GI's earlier appearances - something like "there are Cybermen in our universe" is all you'd need, like "I've fought it before... a long time ago. I didn't make the connection at first." That wouldn't distract or confuse the casual viewers (most of them are smart; they know it's a 50 year-old show - it's a mainstream British institution and the upcoming anniversary has been mentioned a fair bit in the press already - and would likely gather that it's a reference to an old story without it hampering their enjoyment) and would be a nice Easter Egg for the die-hards.
Actually, to me, that sounds rather stilted and cliched. Just from a stylistic perspective, that's not a better way of doing it.

The "it rings a bell" was instead far too jarring and distracting to this long-time fan (even if the intent was to simply suggest that the Doctor's getting on a bit, it runs the risk of being misinterpreted, hence this discussion). The Doctor has often talked of events from his past - including his childhood - with a degree of clarity. The Web of Fear was the adventure that included his first meeting with a certain Col. Lethbridge-Stewart, and I'm not sure he'd just forget that, no matter how long ago it was now (if he is just forgetting these things due to old age, then he's in trouble, as a man is the sum of his memories, a Time Lord even more so...).
Well, I didn't find it jarring. I just found it a reasonably casual way to handle a throwaway Easter-egg reference.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 01:55 AM   #96
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

The Great Intelligence comment just sounds like some nice foreshadowing, I hope.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:30 AM   #97
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
The Great Intelligence comment just sounds like some nice foreshadowing, I hope.
We still don't know who said "Silence will fall" and blew up the TARDIS in season five.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:35 AM   #98
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
We still don't know who said "Silence will fall" and blew up the TARDIS in season five.
Hence, the I hope. It could turn out to have been the GI. I wonder if that ice Clara landed with will turn out to figure in her having multiple lives? This Victorian Clara being a template for future Claras, somehow?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:39 AM   #99
DWF
Vice Admiral

Whatever Clara's secret is I hope the reveal is beter than what we got with River's secret.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:39 AM   #100
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
Mr Pointy Ears wrote: View Post
I reckon she's susan.
She kissed him.
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!
Old January 2 2013, 03:49 AM   #101
Christopher
Writer

I just don't get why so many people are assuming she's some Time Lord or other. A Time Lord's regenerations are played by different actors, not the same one.

Old January 2 2013, 04:09 AM   #102
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Jenny, different versions of the Master(s)
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 04:23 AM   #103
Christopher
Writer

^Rare exceptions do not override the rule.

Old January 2 2013, 04:27 AM   #104
DWF
Vice Admiral

I just don't get why so many people are assuming she's some Time Lord or other. A Time Lord's regenerations are played by different actors, not the same one.
It's as good a theory as any other, but the Doctor would've sensed it if she were a Time Lord, so it's an easy theory to shoot down.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 05:22 AM   #105
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Ar-Festivus wrote: View Post
^ Jenny, different versions of the Master(s)
Jenny had still recently been created. The new show has suggested a certain lingering regeneration energy that heals you without transformation early on in the process. If Clara starts shooting electricity from her fingertips, the Master argument will have more merit.

Assuming she's a Time Lord regenerating would mean that we witnessed her final death, because you aren't regenerating from being turned into a Dalek. I doubt they'll do that twice. The whole arc would directly parallel River.