Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 1 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Plain Simple
Commodore

Re: LOTR Trilogy (extended version) on Blu-ray 8/2012

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Weird. I rewatched Fellowship last night. As much as I enjoyed the Hobbit, FOTR is vastly superior. I enjoyed the evolution of Gandalf. Where he was mostly goofy in Hobbit, he's a little more reserved here, and then a total badass by the time he become Gandalf the White.
The Hobbit is a much more goofy book (in a good way).

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.
Plain Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 08:28 PM   #17
Plain Simple
Commodore

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I didn't notice any additional bonus scenes, and i have them seen often enough, I'd think
Also no extended scenes?

What are these fan club credits that are mentioned? Did they just add the names of fan club members to the credits? Why would they do that?

Old January 1 2013, 11:59 PM   #18
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Plain Simple wrote: View Post
What are these fan club credits that are mentioned? Did they just add the names of fan club members to the credits? Why would they do that?
They were in the original Extended Editions, after the standard production credits. They did that because that was an enticement to get people to pony up and join the fan club.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 12:04 AM   #19
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

If you belonged to the Official Lord of the Rings Fan Club, your name went in the fan credits. Supposedly.

The OLOTRFC was run by Decipher, the RPG company. They produced an official magazine and other collectibles. They had the reputation of taking fans' money and running, but they were apparently overwhelmed and, once in the ditch, were never able to dig themselves out. At the time, I was upset that I only ever received one issue of the magazine, but in retrospect I count myself lucky that I got the wristwatch I ordered from them.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 12:11 AM   #20
Skywalker
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
If you belonged to the Official Lord of the Rings Fan Club, your name went in the fan credits. Supposedly.
It's true. I never actually signed up myself (never was one for fan clubs), but the owner of a Tolkien message board I used to post at decided to sign up on behalf of everyone there, and we were all represented in the credits under the name of our board.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:17 AM   #21
Plain Simple
Commodore

ATimson wrote: View Post
They were in the original Extended Editions, after the standard production credits. They did that because that was an enticement to get people to pony up and join the fan club.
So they don't account for the extra Blu-ray running time? It's only the frame rate difference that JarodRussell mentioned above, that leads to the longer running time then? No extra added or extended material whatsoever in the Blu-ray release?

Old January 3 2013, 01:20 AM   #22
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

There's absolutely no new footage in the Blu-ray release.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 02:48 AM   #23
Servo
Rear Admiral

Just for any UK posters who might be interested; Asda are currently selling the Extended Edition Blu-Rays for £10 each.
Old January 3 2013, 01:18 PM   #24
Plain Simple
Commodore

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
There's absolutely no new footage in the Blu-ray release.
Thanks!

Old January 3 2013, 02:20 PM   #25
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
The actor agrees with you. One of the things I heard him say in interviews repeatedly was that the Grey was much more fun to play. The White was "a stick in the mud."
Sir Ian playing Gandalf the White reminded me of some of Toshiro Mifune later roles.
Old January 4 2013, 12:06 AM   #26
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Which ones?
Old January 4 2013, 11:03 AM   #27
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Which ones?
You know, all those American movies like The Challenge or Shadows of the Wolf where he was hired to be the "tough but wise old warrior" type.
Old January 4 2013, 11:24 AM   #28
Pingfah
Admiral

Servo wrote: View Post
Just for any UK posters who might be interested; Asda are currently selling the Extended Edition Blu-Rays for £10 each.
I recall that the extended DVD box set absolutely crashed in price after about a year. I picked it up for £14.99 in the end.

I think I am going to give the blu ray box set a few more months to see what happens, I bet it comes down to under £30 as soon as they think they've shifted as many of the individual releases as they can.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 07:57 PM   #29
Servo
Rear Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Servo wrote: View Post
I recall that the extended DVD box set absolutely crashed in price after about a year. I picked it up for £14.99 in the end.

I think I am going to give the blu ray box set a few more months to see what happens, I bet it comes down to under £30 as soon as they think they've shifted as many of the individual releases as they can.
Aye, probably. Cheapest I've seen the box set at the moment is just over £43 on Play.com. Amazon want nearly £60 for it. Not sure if I can be bothered waiting though, so I might just go get the individuals for £30 tomorrow.