Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 1 2013, 07:39 PM   #91
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Eccleston comments on 50th anniversary special return

VDCNI wrote: View Post
It could just as easily mean media people he's dealt with in the past, as he says - he's always acted for adults in the past and had to put up with bullshit and cocktail parties.

There's no specific reference in it to anyone. None of us actually know what happened but most of us also aren't desperate to jump to conclusions.
No, senior people in this context would not include the media. Media are neither senior nor subordinate to an actor. They're external people that are not in the chain at all. It's clearly senior BBC people. It's got to include RTD. If RTD and Eccleston were in agreement about how things should be run on the show, the other senior BBC wouldn't have mattered.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:42 PM   #92
VDCNI
Captain

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
It could just as easily mean media people he's dealt with in the past, as he says - he's always acted for adults in the past and had to put up with bullshit and cocktail parties.

There's no specific reference in it to anyone. None of us actually know what happened but most of us also aren't desperate to jump to conclusions.
No, senior people in this context would not include the media. Media are neither senior nor subordinate to an actor. They're external people that are not in the chain at all. It's clearly senior BBC people. It's got to include RTD. If RTD and Eccleston were in agreement about how things should be run on the show, the other senior BBC wouldn't have mattered.

Mr Awe
You do realise that media people would also include TV executives, producers etc. Media doesn't just mean journalists.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:43 PM   #93
Lonemagpie
Writer

Mr Awe wrote: View Post

Mr Awe
RTD didn't run the BBC - he was senior person in DW, not senior at the BBC...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:46 PM   #94
VDCNI
Captain

Exactly - it's clear from The Writers Tale that senior BBC execs get involved in the series. RTD is none to complimentary about them at times.
Old January 1 2013, 07:49 PM   #95
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Eccleston has done work for the BBC since leaving Doctor Who (That Lennon thing!) so it's safe to say his beef was entirely with the Doctor Who producers.

Just my two pence..
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:53 PM   #96
VDCNI
Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Eccleston has done work for the BBC since leaving Doctor Who (That Lennon thing!) so it's safe to say his beef was entirely with the Doctor Who producers.

Just my two pence..
Because no one else at the BBC could have moved on by then.

And of course a BBC4 one off is going to get the same level of focus from BBC execs as a high budget BBC1 drama isn't it.
Old January 1 2013, 07:54 PM   #97
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

I work in the British media thanks so I know exactly how it works thanks and yes all that stuff happens but none of the three people you're happy to smear have that reputation which is why I'm not simply going to assume Ecclestone's vague comments refer to them.
Neither of us have smeared anyone. I don't have any personal beef with anyone at the BBC or who worked on DW in 2005. We're simply commenting on the fact that Eccleston (not EcclestonE) said he left because he didn't get on with "the senior people." The senior people on DW were RTD and Gardner, the executive producers (and Mal Young for S1). Ergo, he left because he didn't get along with them. No reputations are being smeared, no judgments have been made by us at the way RTD and co. run their business or treat their employees, all we're doing is discussing the fact that an actor didn't like working for his bosses and how that affects the show we all like to watch. Christ Almighty.
Old January 1 2013, 07:56 PM   #98
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Becauise no one else at the BBC could have moved on by then.

And of course a BBC4 one off is going to get the same level of focus from BBC execs as a high budget BBC1 drama isn't it.
Eccleston really doesn't like RTD and Phil Collinson. Just... trust me on this [/Altenate Pete Tyler].

Which is fine. Loads of people don't like their boss. It doesn't reflect badly on them (Or their boss!) at all.
Old January 1 2013, 07:58 PM   #99
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Just... trust me on this [/Altenate Pete Tyler].
And how can I do that FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE?!?!
Old January 1 2013, 07:59 PM   #100
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Just... trust me on this [/Altenate Pete Tyler].
And how can I do that FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE?!?!
I'll always thank that 2-parter for making Silver Nemesis look like Tomb of the Cybermen in comparison.
Old January 1 2013, 08:03 PM   #101
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

I'll always thank that 2-parter for making Silver Nemesis look like Tomb of the Cybermen in comparison.
The Cybermen have had so many godawful moments over the years, but I don't know if anything can beat the Cybercontroller falling into the exploding power planet in slow motion, screaming "NOOOOOOoooo!" and then somehow disappearing entirely ages before he reaches the flames.

Thank Rassilon we've moved on from then (*remembers Clara's slo-mo fall on Christmas*)... Fuck.
Old January 1 2013, 08:09 PM   #102
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'd rather sleep with Jenna-Louise Coleman than Roger Lloyd Pack's exposed brain so I allow it.

Also, the worst part of that train-wreck is the cliffhanger resolution in Age of Steel's intro where 10 used the deus ex machina and proceeds to waste 10 seconds explaining why he can never use it ever again.
Old January 1 2013, 09:05 PM   #103
DWF
Vice Admiral

Regardless of who's in charge Eccleston has stated that he's not coming back. And I personally liked the alternate reality Cybermen at least they were menacing, they were just overused a bit Closing Time was one too many stories to use them, even though they were meant to be the Mondasian Cybermen.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 09:37 PM   #104
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Given that none of his predecessors claim to have been approached either, I reckon one way they might get around it would be have 4-9 do voiceovers. Hear the Doctor's thought processes perhaps. That wouldn't need anything like the sort of commitment. He might be willing to record a few lines in a London studio.
Old January 1 2013, 09:57 PM   #105
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

So, now that the "senior people" he had an issue with are gone it's more likely he'd come back.
Except that Eccleston said in his Graham Norton interview last year that, yes, even though there's been a change in guard and he has the highest regard for Moffat's scripts he won't return.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote