MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 1 2013, 03:17 AM   #931
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

I'm curious, I just realize there's a cue I can't find.

For those of you who have this set, and have seen the Star Trek: Phase II Blood and Fire, the teaser for part 1 has some Elaan of Troyious music, immediately followed by this staccato, fast paced action music.

Anyone know what this might be?
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 07:00 AM   #932
Dale Sams
Captain

Christopher, where on the set...or what is the name of the oft-used melody featured in the Amanda/Spock scene in "Journey to Babel" when she's pleading for Spock to give the transfusion. I'm sure you can hear it in your head. "When you were a child..etc..etc.." Before the slap.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 04:22 PM   #933
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

^Season 2, Disc 2 - Track 6 "More Soup" by Gerald Fried, it was composed for Amok Time.
Dalen Quaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 04:40 PM   #934
The Warlord
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dalen Quaice wrote: View Post
Warlord --- Well the music is certainly edited. It fades out as Kirk says, "She took it" -- at least it does on the 2 episode DVD copy that I took a clip from as reference. Wouldn't shock me to know that the audio is slightly off on this disc. What version of this episode are you using?

I think it goes like this:

MCCOY: No. That incredible Vulcan physique hung on until the life-support cycle took over. His body lives. The autonomic functions continue. But there is no mind.

KIRK: That girl.

[Start the cue]

SCOTT: Aye.

MCCOY: What girl?

KIRK: From that ship. She took it. [Cue fades] I don't know why, or where, but she must have taken it. Bones, how long can you keep him functioning?

* I relistened several times, and I think you are correct. The version of this cue as used in this scene is not on on the disc. Track 17's cue plays earlier. However, I can still hear the same motif in the ending of the cue as Kirk speaks and it fades, so I presume it is indeed from Spock's Brain -- I "think" (stressing I am only thinking, not knowing for certain) it should be on Track 18 on the Soundtrack, but is missing -- It should be "NO MIND" although it says it is on the CD, it isn't. Track 18 starts with "Tense Moment" instead.
Yep, that's it! I wonder whether it may have accidentally not been included...
The Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 04:55 PM   #935
cbspock
Rear Admiral

The Warlord wrote: View Post
Warlord --- Well the music is certainly edited. It fades out as Kirk says, "She took it" -- at least it does on the 2 episode DVD copy that I took a clip from as reference. Wouldn't shock me to know that the audio is slightly off on this disc. What version of this episode are you using?

I think it goes like this:

MCCOY: No. That incredible Vulcan physique hung on until the life-support cycle took over. His body lives. The autonomic functions continue. But there is no mind.

KIRK: That girl.

[Start the cue]

SCOTT: Aye.

MCCOY: What girl?

KIRK: From that ship. She took it. [Cue fades] I don't know why, or where, but she must have taken it. Bones, how long can you keep him functioning?

* I relistened several times, and I think you are correct. The version of this cue as used in this scene is not on on the disc. Track 17's cue plays earlier. However, I can still hear the same motif in the ending of the cue as Kirk speaks and it fades, so I presume it is indeed from Spock's Brain -- I "think" (stressing I am only thinking, not knowing for certain) it should be on Track 18 on the Soundtrack, but is missing -- It should be "NO MIND" although it says it is on the CD, it isn't. Track 18 starts with "Tense Moment" instead.
Yep, that's it! I wonder whether it may have accidentally not been included...

and do you really care??? Are you that anal??? The melody is in pieces of other tracks.

-Chris
Old January 1 2013, 05:33 PM   #936
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

^Yeah, I really care... and I am that anal for $225! LOL
Old January 1 2013, 05:44 PM   #937
Christopher
Writer

It's not a distinct cue. It's just cut together from snippets of other cues in the episode. So it's all there. Nobody ever said this set would contain the edited, stock bits -- just the original version of each distinctly recorded cue.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 05:46 PM   #938
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

^It is distinct. And what episodes? And why would they reuse such a cue over and over again... does anyone have the cue sheet for Spock's Brain?
Old January 1 2013, 05:48 PM   #939
Dale Sams
Captain

^Season 2, Disc 2 - Track 6 "More Soup" by Gerald Fried, it was composed for Amok Time.
Thanks!
Old January 1 2013, 06:06 PM   #940
The Warlord
Lieutenant Junior Grade

cbspock wrote: View Post

and do you really care??? Are you that anal??? The melody is in pieces of other tracks.

-Chris
Whilst it is only a few moments worth of material, yes I do care. Spock's Brain score is a favourite of mine, particularly that small section. Needless to say, it is not the end of the world, but on almost all the news items for this set, we were promised every note heard in the show, and I'm slightly surprised that cue went unnoticed given it's presence in a large portion of series three episodes. The guys did a splendid job with this and they deserve much praise; yes I'm subtly disappointed at not having that track on the set, hence why I posted on here to discuss. I may have been 'anal' about it, but to me that's what this thread is about - to discuss the set. And tbh there are far more picky posts than the one we were discussing.

Warlord
Old January 1 2013, 06:12 PM   #941
The Warlord
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's not a distinct cue. It's just cut together from snippets of other cues in the episode.
I'm sorry, but if you hear the cue in other episodes you'll realise it is not a hybrid, stuck-together edited cue, but an original one. A prime example for you to note the detail of the cue is just after the M5 Robot has entered Flint's secret laboratory with the Ryetlayn and McCoy looks at the several bottles of coloured liquid, moving into the scene in which Rayna plays pool, in Requiem for Methuselah. As she prepares to play, you'll hear the cue gradually fade and end.
Old January 1 2013, 06:14 PM   #942
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Hmm. I thought he was talking about "Apollo Kiss" from Disc 8...
Old January 1 2013, 06:28 PM   #943
Dale Sams
Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Hmm. I thought he was talking about "Apollo Kiss" from Disc 8...
I actually found the Amok Time clip on youtube. They called it 'soup'. It's certainly the same arrangement, but seems like it's different instruments. But that's almost certainly in my head.
Old January 1 2013, 06:28 PM   #944
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander

^He said before the slap, not after?
Old January 1 2013, 06:31 PM   #945
Christopher
Writer

The Warlord wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, but if you hear the cue in other episodes you'll realise it is not a hybrid, stuck-together edited cue, but an original one.
It sounds like a hybrid cue to me -- it sounds like there's a cut between the initial sting and the last four bass notes. And both parts are ones I've heard in other cues from the episode. And if they created such a composite cue, why not reuse it?

The makers of the set assured us over and over that everything was included. Given the extreme thoroughness and attention to detail that compiling this set required, I have more faith in that than I have in some random listener's subjective perceptions about what constitutes a separate cue. It doesn't seem plausible that they would've overlooked any one thing given how thorough they were with everything else. So unless Indysolo posts here with a mea culpa about forgetting that cue, then I'm not going to be convinced that it's a separately recorded one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote