Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 1 2013, 04:07 AM   #691
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Power Rangers

Praetor wrote: View Post

I didn't necessarily mean the TV feel as a bad thing. As for the sentai movies, some of them aren't even oversized.

Right the Shinkenger's first movie was the length of an episode

New magazine scans

Our cast!
Old January 1 2013, 04:55 AM   #692
Christopher
Writer

Those costumes just don't work for me.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 05:42 AM   #693
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i could do without the one shoulder pad. the jagged Charlie Brown line makes the whole thing look a little too busy.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 05:45 AM   #694
Christopher
Writer

I don't like the jagged "teeth" across the chest, I don't like the helmets, I don't like anything about them. I particularly dislike the dinosaur heads printed on the upper left of the "sawtooth" area. It makes them look like they're wearing kids' pajamas.

Old January 1 2013, 06:28 AM   #695
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Character name/ ranger color/ actors name

Daigo Kiriu/Red - Ryo Ryusei

Nobuharu Udou/Blue - Yamato Kinjo

Amy Yuzuki/Pink - Ayuri Konno

Souji Rippukan/Green - Akihisa Shiono

Ian Yorkland/Black - Yuusuke Saito

The short description of the series

"Long ago, in the time of the dinosaurs, the earth was invaded by forces from outer space. The only people capable of the stopping them was a team known as the Kyouki Ryu no Sha, the People of the Strong Dragons, or, Kyoryuger for short. Now, in the modern world, they return using the powers of the Beast Batteries to fight off this revived threat."
There's supposed to be a global invasion feel to it.

Some of the rangers come from different parts of the world.

Ian yorkland the black kyoryuger has European heritage.
Old January 1 2013, 12:46 PM   #696
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

^Definitely shades of Zyuranger.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't like the jagged "teeth" across the chest, I don't like the helmets, I don't like anything about them. I particularly dislike the dinosaur heads printed on the upper left of the "sawtooth" area. It makes them look like they're wearing kids' pajamas.
They didn't design it for people like us in mind. Their primary audiences will is always Japanese school age kids and their parents.

Takeru wrote: View Post
That's why Gokaiger worked, they brought back countless characters but at its core the series was about the Gokaiger themselves, it was their story, they learned and grew, the old characters just helped them out along the way.
Gokaiger didn't work. Its obsession with bringing in past guest characters who were pretty much interchangeable worked to the detriment of the main characters with the main villains remaining obsolete and pathetic to end and the development of many of the heroes being rushed including Silver who never even got an arc.

Then again it probably was never a good idea to cash in on the anniversary with a series that was intended as a One Piece clone rather than an anniversary show.

Last edited by Hound of UIster; January 1 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 04:34 PM   #697
Christopher
Writer

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
They didn't design it for people like us in mind. Their primary audiences will is always Japanese school age kids and their parents.
But there have been many prior Ranger costume designs that were very aesthetically pleasing, or at least not ugly. These are an exception to that general rule. So that argument doesn't wash for me. It's nonsense to say that what's designed with children in mind can't appeal to adults as well, since there are many, many counterexamples.

Old January 1 2013, 08:45 PM   #698
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I'll agree with Chris on that part. Just because it's a kids show doesn't mean they have to make the designs just for kids.

Hyper Hobby magazine portion

Old January 1 2013, 08:48 PM   #699
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Looks like more Dino Thunder.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 09:16 PM   #700
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Yes it's based on the source material for DT and more importantly the material for the original PR, which was the kind of the golden standard for appealing to children.

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I'll agree with Chris on that part. Just because it's a kids show doesn't mean they have to make the designs just for kids.
The show is FOR kids. Other than parents, the bulk share of the audience are kids. Adults are not the main audience. Its profitability comes from 1) kids tuning in and 2) persuading their parents to buy the merchandise. It's not like late night anime where they can make a profit by charging exorbitant prices for dvds and figures from otakus.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 09:50 PM   #701
Christopher
Writer

^Of course the show is for kids, but the point is, that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the designs. Frankly I'm appalled by the attitude some people in our culture have that "for children" automatically equates to "low-quality." Surely we owe it to our children to give them the best effort we're capable of in everything we do for them.

Not to mention that anything made "for kids" should be watched by their parents along with them, so it's only good sense to make it appealing to adults as well. Not to mention that adults are creating it and have the right to make it an enjoyable creative experience for themselves. There are countless things made "for kids" that have considerable adult appeal as well -- including many earlier seasons of Super Sentai and Power Rangers. So if your intent is to use "it's for kids" as an excuse for low standards of quality, you couldn't be more profoundly off-base.

Old January 2 2013, 09:55 PM   #702
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

For the "Go-busters VS Gokaiger" movie an even greater grand power is sought after.

The ability for mecha to become past mecha!

Gouzyujin-Daizujin(MMPR megazord)

Go-Buster Lioh-Gaoking
Go-buster Ace-Gekitohja

Gokai-oh-Daibouken
Buster Hercules-Magiking

And we Ryuuseioh(red dragon warrior mode) and flash king
Old January 2 2013, 10:52 PM   #703
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Didn't the 199 Taisen movie have EVERY SINGLE MECHA, though?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 11:12 PM   #704
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Didn't the 199 Taisen movie have EVERY SINGLE MECHA, though?

Mark
yes, thought mostly it was through stock footage.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 03:46 AM   #705
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

And this probably won't involve a lot of stock footage because these suits look to be brand new.

Toei might get some mileage out of them. Saban will probably chop and dice the footage for a special.

Obviously the original Red Dragon Warrior mode and MMPR original suits are either at the Bandai Museum or not in filming condition.