RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 447
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old December 31 2012, 08:36 PM   #721
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Ar-Festivus wrote: View Post
^ On his radio show, Jay Cutler talked about how Lovie was a "player's coach" and the players' friend.

I think Lovie was maybe too mellow and too much of a player's coach. Kinda the other extreme from Singletary or Ditka.
IMO this is exactly the problem--the players have become too complacent under Lovie. The NFL is a business. The head coach is not your "friend" and should never be considered as such on a successful team. These guys are getting paid millions to play football and win, not spend time with their BFFs.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...ssing-playoffs

Bears receiver Devin Hester was so emotional after hearing the news that he talked about retiring.

"I don't even know if I want to play again," Hester said. "That's been something on my mind for two years."
To that, I say "good riddance". He's become completely useless as a player both on offense and special teams when they've tried to force his two functioning brain cells to learn pass routes.
Old December 31 2012, 08:45 PM   #722
tighr
Commodore

I hope a lot of not-former head coaches get chances. I'm sick of the same guys getting regurgitated around the league.
Chuck Pagano/Bruce Arians was a nice change of pace this past season.

I'd say the same about Jim Caldwell, but the man was a figurehead, and as a Colts fan, I knew that from the day he was hired. The fact that he took that team to the Super Bowl all while standing on the sidelines with that blank look on his face just told me he didn't know what he was doing. Peyton Manning liked him, but being liked by the players isn't a necessarily a recipe for success.
Old December 31 2012, 08:49 PM   #723
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Whisenhunt got screwed, IMO. Give him a quarterback - any quarterback - worth the title and he'd have done a lot better. This is the guy that took the Chargers from joke to Superbowl contenders after all. The NFC West has somehow become a nightmare division in the last year though... definitely no longer a joke.

ETA: Cardinals, obviously. Jesus Christ, what a terrible mistype.

Also, Scott Pioli still has a job?! Seriously?

Last edited by Kestrel; January 1 2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old January 1 2013, 12:15 AM   #724
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
I hope a lot of not-former head coaches get chances. I'm sick of the same guys getting regurgitated around the league.
Chuck Pagano/Bruce Arians was a nice change of pace this past season.

I'd say the same about Jim Caldwell, but the man was a figurehead, and as a Colts fan, I knew that from the day he was hired. The fact that he took that team to the Super Bowl all while standing on the sidelines with that blank look on his face just told me he didn't know what he was doing. Peyton Manning liked him, but being liked by the players isn't a necessarily a recipe for success.
Arians' name is already being thrown out there as a replacement for some fired coaches.

Depending on how much of Indy's success this year was him and how much was him executing Pagano's plan will play out I suppose.
Old January 1 2013, 03:09 AM   #725
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Since the legalization of marijuana passed, Seattle and Denver are 15-1.
Old January 1 2013, 03:19 AM   #726
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Since the legalization of marijuana passed, Seattle and Denver are 15-1.
They could meet in the Smoka Bowl.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old January 1 2013, 04:41 AM   #727
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

The official towel of the Smoka Bowl.

Old January 4 2013, 04:07 AM   #728
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Well, I was disappointed Romeo was fired as our head coach, but given how this season went I'm not surprised. I think he had "potential" but at the same time I don't think was hard-edged enough to be a head coach. Pioli should have been out on his ass too, but he's been extremely neutered by the owners so he's on very thin ice, the coach they're currently looking at also seems to have a GM along with it so Pioli may be on even thinner ice than he thinks.
Old January 4 2013, 05:13 AM   #729
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

You know you're getting Andy Reid, right?
Old January 5 2013, 02:58 PM   #730
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I hate that I'll be at work during these games tonight. I'll have the radio on, though.

Bengals 24
Texans 20

Packers 27
Vikings 13
Old January 5 2013, 10:23 PM   #731
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Honestly not sure who I'm rooting for this weekend.

I think the Texans will take the Bengals though, and I doubt the Vikings will manage a repeat of last week.

Tomorrow is a harder call, but I'm gonna go with Baltimore and Washington just for the hell of it.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old January 5 2013, 10:38 PM   #732
tighr
Commodore

I'm rooting for Houston and Indy, but mostly because that's the only way Indy gets to play Denver. That'd be a great storyline.

I'd love for the Colts to succeed this season, but I'm cheering for Peyton.

I feel like the salary cap combined with the rise of Fantasy Football has made people become more fans of players than actual teams these days.
Old January 5 2013, 10:41 PM   #733
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I'm rooting for Texans, Seahawks and Ravens. The only game that's difficult for me is Packers-Vikings since I kind of like both teams (in fact I like all of the NFC North, strange as that may be).
Old January 6 2013, 01:29 AM   #734
tighr
Commodore

Wow, this game is horrible. New England is absolutely going to crush Houston next week.
Old January 6 2013, 01:39 AM   #735
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Pretty convincing win for Houston though. It never looked like the Bengals could make that second touchdown they needed to me.

They'll need one hell of a gameplan against the Patriots for sure though...