Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 16 2012, 11:43 AM   #31
Ziz
Commodore

Re: 1:350 Scale Enterprise

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
I had an issue with the holes in the flanges not being even a close fit over the pegs so I filed them a bit. Have I made an elementary mistake early on because they really would not fit at all? Once I could get the pegs to fit I now have the gap. Was I supposed to force them to fit would adjustment because I had squeeze maybe a 3mm and forcing it would have scraped all the paint off. I did try being a bit forceful but it just looked like they were not going to fit at all.
Without seeing your specific kit parts, it's hard to say. Maybe there was a molding problem, maybe you just didn't fit them right. All you can do now is make sure that pylon connection inside the secondary hull is as solid as you can get it. Reinforce it with Evergreen/Plastruct strip - bits of sprue will do if you can carve/sand them to the right shape.
Old August 16 2012, 04:07 PM   #32
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Short strand fibreglass bondo is a very good option as well... But you have to work fast, because once it's cured, sanding becomes a bitch with small scale stuff. I've used it with a couple of models and it's brilliant stuff. It cures at a speed that gives you a change to sculpt and then cut off bits while still on the soft side- then sand.

I used it on my Klingon ship kitbash.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 09:15 AM   #33
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I think I'm going to try sanding down the light-blocking paint near where the parts meet to see if that gives me a couple of milimeteres.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 09:07 PM   #34
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Just did a little work on the rec deck, officer's lounge, and arboretum.

Old September 1 2012, 04:23 PM   #35
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Nice work.

Are there any better diagrams on the web to assist with the light placement? I've just tried fitting the secondary hull together and the wires seriously get in the way of the connectors and the windows. Obviously there are placements that avoid this but I struggle to see how one can easily determine those without help.

I'm struggling to work out which lights should illuminate the arboretum and shuttle bay compared to general lighting and which flashing lights should be positioned where.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 06:46 PM   #36
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Gee- I haven't posted in a while... My wife bought me the photo-etch kit so that made me re-evaluate my plans for the ship. I don't like the forced perspective bits, but I was able to make use of the bits. I figure it won't have to look perfect because once it's sealed up, those wee windows will be the only way to see in anyway. I really like how this one little (well not so little) room can hold so many people. Of course as it is, with tables and for recreating purposes, it will be comfortable for about 40 people.

And I've been working on making the Surak type shuttles more accurate. But it's so damned small and my eyes suck up close. LOL
The one on the left is the unaltered one- I've filled in gaps on the one on the right. Cut away and added some other bits.

Old December 31 2012, 06:58 PM   #37
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Nice work.

Are there any better diagrams on the web to assist with the light placement? I've just tried fitting the secondary hull together and the wires seriously get in the way of the connectors and the windows. Obviously there are placements that avoid this but I struggle to see how one can easily determine those without help.

I'm struggling to work out which lights should illuminate the arboretum and shuttle bay compared to general lighting and which flashing lights should be positioned where.

Gee- sorry- I missed this... There doesn't seem to be a whole lot. A couple of dudes have posted some magnicant stuff on a modelling site that I just can't recall...

I'm running a simple system using my old light and sound Enterprise kit. Most of the lights will be held in the base and run up through fibre-optics. The exception will be the deflector, nacelle grills, and impulse engine. I'll throw in a simple system there with rheostatics in the base to control glow intensity- one for each (deflector, nacelles, impulse). I can't afford expensive electronics, so I'm going old school.