TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 28 2012, 07:04 PM   #2191
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: What games are you playing currently?

Warlock: Master of the Arcane. It's a turn based strategy game similar to Civ, except with more of a focus on military combat and spell casting. It's a lot of fun.

I have not played Civ V yet but I plan to give it a try this weekend.

By the way, here's a killer deal if you have not purchased Civ V or Stronghold or Civ IV or well, a bunch of other 2K stuff yet:
http://www.amazon.com/2K-Strategy-Su...words=2k+games
Old December 28 2012, 07:14 PM   #2192
BigFoot
Admiral

I started playing Gravity Rush yesterday... it's a fun game.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:13 AM   #2193
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I'm about to start XCom. Still playing Growlanser IV and Last Story but getting a little tired of those.

I'm also getting to a point where it's like, I'm 29. I first got an NES when I was 6. I've played so many great games. I want to keep up with all the new games, but why play every new game that comes out that might be good when I have a choice between all my all time favorites all the time?

It's so hard to find new games. In the last few years, the only really great new games I've played are Mass Effect, Catherine, and Arkham City. And yeah, a few very good ones too, like Growlanser IV, Last Story, Tales of Graces, etc. But those are games I play for 1 1/2 hours then have to put down, and I have a few dozen games I can play for hours on end and have to force myself to put down.

How do you find those rare great games without wading through a sea of the 'okay' and 'pretty good'?
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 07:24 AM   #2194
Garrett
Vice Admiral

I was going to starts Assassin's Creed 2 on the PC to see if I wanted to play through it again before heading into Brotherhood and ended up playing through the whole thing again minus most of the side missions and the feathers. I've heard folks say it doesn't have much replay value, but I loved it almost as much on the second playthrough as the first.

After that, I rushed through Brotherhood. I have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping. A lot of the game felt tacked on like the DLC for AC 2 instead of a full new experience. There almost seemed to be daunting amount of side tasks and collections for my taste and not enough story. The story did seem to come together more after the fourth dna sequence. Before that the majority of the missions felt like they were more tutorials for side missions and mini games than anything.

I ended up running into a glitch in sequence 9 where a cutscene wouldn't load for me. I tried reloading it a few times, and checking cache in Steam. Still couldn't get it to load. I ended up watching the rest of the game on You tube so I could move on to the next game.

The Desmond story was probably my favorite thing about Brotherhood. I didn't find Ezio's story in Rome to be anywhere near as interesting as his story in the second game.

I'm on Revelations now, and enjoying it a bit more than Brotherhood, so far. I'm in DNA sequence 2 still. I'm debating rushing through this one, but then I'm hearing a lot of mixed reactions to III. So, maybe there's no hurry.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 06:55 AM   #2195
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87

Put PSABR/inFAMOUS aside for a bit to focus on other games. Still working through BoiShock and just picked up Syndicate the other day and really like it so far.
TrekNut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:39 PM   #2196
BigFoot
Admiral

I started playing Spec Ops: The Line today... awesome game so far (I just finished chapter 6). For some reason I didn't know it was a third person shooter.
Old December 31 2012, 05:02 PM   #2197
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87

BigFoot wrote: View Post
I started playing Spec Ops: The Line today... awesome game so far (I just finished chapter 6). For some reason I didn't know it was a third person shooter.
I love this game to pieces! I'm pretty close to finishing, but I've put it aside for now. I have to say, I've never had more fun with a TPS than I have with Spec Ops. Great game.
TrekNut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 07:59 PM   #2198
BigFoot
Admiral

I definitely prefer TPSs to FPSs. And while I still prefer Uncharted, I do also really like Spec Ops. The fact that Nolan North is the lead in both games doesn't hurt.

I just finished chapter 7... I'll probably be done tomorrow.
Old December 31 2012, 08:08 PM   #2199
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Taking advantage of Gog's holiday sale I picked up Icewind Dale for 50% off. I've never been able to get into WRPGs, but I keep giving them second chances because I absolutely love the concept of the genre. My most recent attempt was The Witcher, but that didn't go too well. Hopefully Icewind Dale will be more to my tastes.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 10:33 PM   #2200
BigFoot
Admiral

Well I finished Spec Ops earlier today... what a mindfuck.
Old January 2 2013, 12:40 AM   #2201
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Grabbed a digital download for The Secret World.

Anyone else on the BBS playing this?
Old January 2 2013, 01:59 AM   #2202
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I recently started Call Of Duty Black Ops 2, which I got for Christmas.
Old January 2 2013, 06:20 PM   #2203
Ood Sigma
Commander

Got two games for Christmas: Super Paper Mario (Wii) and Final Fantasy XIII-2 (XBox).

I'm almost finished with Super Paper Mario - I've completed the main story and now am just finishing up the collection and bonus dungeon.

Hopefully I'll start in on FF13-2 soon. I greatly enjoyed FF13 so I'm hoping the sequel is good too. I've heard mixed reviews but then again I heard the same about FF13 and I loved it to death. Also as someone who greatly enjoyed FF10-2 where most didn't, I have high hopes that the sequel will be up my alley. I like new combat schemes as long as they are fun and easy to use. FF12 was a nightmare in that regard. Good idea but poor execution.
Ood Sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 12:44 AM   #2204
Garrett
Vice Admiral

BigFoot wrote: View Post
Well I finished Spec Ops earlier today... what a mindfuck.

Aye. That it is. I bought Spec Ops: The Line during the holiday sale on Amazon. It was $10 for Spec Ops and both of the Bioshock games. Fantastic game.

Now that I've had a break from the Assassin's Creed games, I'm probably going to get back into 3. I'm somewhere in sequence 2 or 3. It's probably heretical, but I wasn't as fond as Ezio as I was expecting. I love the character and his story arc in AC2, but didn't care so much about it in Brotherhood. Rome and the Desmond parts of the story were great, though. Maybe if I had a year to wait in between games I would have liked them more, but I was feeling a bit fatigued with the Ezio story by the time I got into Revelations.

3 is a nice change of pace so far, at least for character and setting. I've read from the comments in the other thread that Conner isn't as interesting. Altair wasn't as interesting as Ezio, but I still liked his character. I wouldn't mind if they continue jumping around with new characters and eras in the animus from game to game.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:00 AM   #2205
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Been jumping back and forth between Black Ops 2, Arkham City GOTY, and Madden 13

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote