Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 31 2012, 03:45 PM   #61
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
^ There are no plans to adjust the framing of the episode. From what I understand, it would involve rescanning and editing together the whole episode again from scratch.
So it's not a matter of the remastering team choosing to have a tighter image of the episode, but that the episode was scanned incorrectly?
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 03:49 PM   #62
Tosk
Rear Admiral

It would be the finalizing of the ep that was flawed, not the scanning.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:17 PM   #63
Jeyl
Commodore

Tosk wrote: View Post
So if they have the scanned files, why rescan them as you suggested?
Old December 31 2012, 04:29 PM   #64
NewHorizon
Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Possible they didn't keep backups? In any case, it would still require reassembling the entire episode I guess. Would be nice if it were cropped correctly, but for a single episode it's not a huge deal.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 05:30 PM   #65
davejames
Vice Admiral

Was it really the entire episode that was cropped? I thought it was just a few scenes like the one in Ten-Forward.

Because if it is the entire episode, then I really DON'T see what the big deal is. Other than the poorly centered credits in the beginning, I didn't notice a problem with the framing at all (like cut off heads, etc).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 05:30 PM   #66
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Jeyl wrote: View Post
I never suggested that they should rescan the film. I said I wanted them to fix it, and FrontierTrek said that this would not be possible without rescanning. Which sounds like an excuse on CBS' part to me, but I have no info to base that off of. But how likely does it seem that they scanned everything and then discarded the digital files completely once the Blu-rays were burnt and sent out? And if it were an error in scanning, how is it that all the non-FX shots have less image and all the FX shots have extra image?

It's not a super big deal, I just wish it weren't the case.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 09:14 PM   #67
Jeyl
Commodore

I never suggested that they should rescan the film.
Yeah, that was FrontierTrek. Sorry.
Old January 1 2013, 11:05 PM   #68
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

The 2K film scan would have been of the Full Camera Aperture (the entire exposed image -- just like what you see in the S2 gag reel). What this is about is CBS Digital doesn't want to spend the time and money to re-conform the episode from scratch by going back to the originally scanned files/tapes which they most certainly still have.

CBS's conform process is rather complicated (See here). Though you could argue that the hard part has already been done -- the correct shots have all been found.
Old January 2 2013, 11:01 PM   #69
Ghostface1701
Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I don't suppose we could hope for any kind of 'pepping up' of the rather lame space battle in "Yesterday's Enterprise" and/or a retooling of the Enterprise-C model to that which was originally intended for it? (the one that's on the briefing room wall of the D)
The Ent-C is what it is, unfortunately. Changing it to Probert's Ambassador-class would likely piss-off as many people as it would satisfy.

As for the battle FX, I personally love them. The way the ships move and fire slowly really gives weight (literally) to them. The shot of Ent-D turning into position before the fight starts, and the firing from the trailer, are some of my favourite shots of the series. I prefer that than to see the ships zipping about like they have no mass at all.

Having said that, I do wish CBS-D would replace the Bird of Prey explosion with something a little more dimensional.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 02:08 AM   #70
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

JJohnson wrote: View Post
It's great that it's higher definition, but I'm still disappointed by the missed opportunity they're deliberately making by not improving the special effects in any way. Recompositing is nice, yes, but if an effect looked a bit hokey, why not replace it with something better? Why not give us more than just the same Romulan Warbirds and Excelsior/Miranda/Oberth ships in Starfleet? I might buy this out of loyalty for Star Trek, but only when the price drops. I seriously hope they rethink their stance on redoing the FX at some point.
It's a remastering, not a reimagining. They are taking the correct stance in preserving the show how it was, first and foremost.

If they want to do an alternative version as a viewing option (with new effects, new ships, whatever), they can make that decision afterwards. In the meantime, I want to see the original work as it was made in the 80s/90s, with as much clarity as possible.

Salinga wrote: View Post
On the one hand, cropping top/bottom for 16:9 treatment is dismissed by many, but on the other hand, cropping a 4:3 frame to an even smaller area, showing even lesser of the original footage, is okay?
Neither is okay, but the latter doesn't destroy the shot composition, so it's the lesser of two evils.
Start Wreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 02:23 AM   #71
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Sad thing with season 3 on the horizon is that we only have one more season after that of Ron Jones. TNG music became largely cookie-cutter and forgettable after he left, with a couple exceptions (Inner Light). Thanks, Rick.

Watching so much of season 1 and 2 lately, and it's quite clear from the get-go which episodes were scored by Jones. The music sets a mood, and there are actual melodies.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 01:11 PM   #72
NewHorizon
Captain

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Watching so much of season 1 and 2 lately, and it's quite clear from the get-go which episodes were scored by Jones. The music sets a mood, and there are actual melodies.
Yeah, the music in some Season 1 episodes was really outstanding. It really resonated emotionally at times.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 11:24 PM   #73
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

It's a remastering, not a reimagining. They are taking the correct stance in preserving the show how it was, first and foremost.

If they want to do an alternative version as a viewing option (with new effects, new ships, whatever), they can make that decision afterwards. In the meantime, I want to see the original work as it was made in the 80s/90s, with as much clarity as possible.

I'm just going to assume when the TOS blu-rays were announced, this place went up in flames.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 02:35 AM   #74
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I'm just going to assume when the TOS blu-rays were announced, this place went up in flames.
I think most people were quite pleased with the Blu-rays offering the choice of viewing options.
Start Wreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2013, 05:57 PM   #75
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

It's really too bad they didn't have the original film elements for the model work on TOS though. I would have loved to have seen them after they'd been cleaned up.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote