CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Seriously, who the hell is she??
A long overdue family reunion - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Susan! 1 1.56%
The One Who Got Away - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Romana! 3 4.69%
'Til Death do us part? I don't think so, Sweetie - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated post-Library River! 0 0%
She's a MAN, man - Clara's a fobwatched & regenerated Master! 0 0%
If at first you don't succeed... - Clara's the ultimate Anti-Doctor weapon of the Silence, Mark II! 3 4.69%
A sneak preview of things to come - Clara's a Watcher, but WILL BE the Twelfth Doctor! 0 0%
Hello again - Clara's a fobwatched, future (post-Doctor) version of Sexy! 2 3.13%
Eye See You - Clara's Prisoner Zero! 0 0%
You'll never see it coming - None of the above, and even stranger than all! 56 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 31 2012, 03:59 AM   #76
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Impossible Girl: Who IS Clara Oswin Oswald?!?

Ar-Festivus wrote: View Post
Maybe Clara is similar to Jack and just comes back to life when killed.

The daughter of Boe?

And like Jack, she's an "impossible thing"
I hope she's good at digging.
Old December 31 2012, 12:01 PM   #77
who.me
Ensign

just read that there are going to be several movie length episodes to celebrate the 50th. So i doubt very much you will find out who clara is in the 2nd part of series 7. But i personally believe that the big reveal will be in the episode when more than one doctor appears.

Also, most companions stay around for at least 3 series

mmmmmmlike the idea,she is the daughter of Jack
who.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 12:19 PM   #78
Christopher
Writer

who.me wrote: View Post
Also, most companions stay around for at least 3 series
Uhh, no; historically, the majority of companions have only stayed for 1-2 years. Only a few have stuck around longer -- Jamie for the Second Doctor, Jo for the Third, Sarah Jane for the Third & Fourth, K9 Mark II for the Fourth, Tegan for the Fourth (barely) & Fifth, Amy & Rory for the Tenth. (Romana, the character, was there for three seasons, but the actresses who played her were there for one and two seasons respectively. And Ace was a companion for two short seasons plus one serial, so that's barely above two for her.) True, some of the new-series companions have come back in later seasons, but that doesn't count as continuous tenure as companions.

In fact, the only companions who've stayed longer than three years were Sarah Jane, who was a companion for three and a third seasons, and K9 if you count Mark I and Mark II as the same character.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:14 PM   #79
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

just read that there are going to be several movie length episodes to celebrate the 50th.
Got a link for that? We all previously thought/hoped there would be multiple Specials, but, right now it seems like only the rest of S7, then one Special and then the Christmas Special

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:22 PM   #80
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Doubtful - how would they pay for it?
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 10:23 PM   #81
Lonemagpie
Writer

Sindatur wrote: View Post
just read that there are going to be several movie length episodes to celebrate the 50th.
Got a link for that? We all previously thought/hoped there would be multiple Specials, but, right now it seems like only the rest of S7, then one Special and then the Christmas Special
I was given to understand two specials- one pre-filmed this spring, and one live episode...

As for Clara, I reckon she's the Bat-Signal, a living meme created as a call (or lure) to a Doctor who's disappeared off the radar post-TWORS. not necessarily by villains.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 11:33 PM   #82
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I was given to understand two specials- one pre-filmed this spring, and one live episode...

As for Clara, I reckon she's the Bat-Signal, a living meme created as a call (or lure) to a Doctor who's disappeared off the radar post-TWORS. not necessarily by villains.
Ooh, I hope this is true, I didn't dare hope for two Specials.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 12:04 AM   #83
Iamnotspock
Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I doubt Moffat would come near this place. Does he even like Trek?

He originally wanted The Doctor to bash it during The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.
Not bash exactly, as I understood it. After Rose had informed Jack that the Doctor's name was "Mr. Spock", the line that was originally to follow her "Don't you ever get tired of 'Doctor'? Doctor who?!" was, "I'd rather have 'Doctor Who' than Star Trek!" Moffat then decided it was a silly joke. That hardly seems to be bashing it, though.

On topic, I had a thought about the Doctor, that perhaps he's been gradually erasing his own memory to avoid answering the First Question. We know that Moffat likes to play around with memory (the Silence, the Daleks forgetting the Doctor, Clara/Oswin's dying "...remember", the gag with the memory worm), and its validity. We know that "on the fields of Trenzalore... where no living being can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked"; if the Doctor's name is significant in a Rumplestiltskin-esque way, and will cause untold problems when revealed, perhaps the only way the Doctor can avoid revealing it is if he himself doesn't know the answer.

I'm betting that the gag with Strax and the memory worm and the Doctor seeming not to fully remember the Great Intelligence were pieces of foreshadowing. Like Strax, the Doctor could be using a memory worm or some other technique to gradually erase his early memories and not even know he's doing it. Of course, he'd eventually have to rediscover his identity - cue big 50th special in which the Doctor relearns who he is by revisiting his own past.

Perhaps Clara could be the key to his memories somehow.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 12:56 AM   #84
Christopher
Writer

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
I'm betting that the gag with Strax and the memory worm and the Doctor seeming not to fully remember the Great Intelligence were pieces of foreshadowing. Like Strax, the Doctor could be using a memory worm or some other technique to gradually erase his early memories and not even know he's doing it.
I think that's reading too much into the Doctor's memory lapse about the GI. Remember, most viewers of the new series aren't familiar with the old series, and the new episodes have to be made to stand on their own. Having the Doctor remember the details of his previous encounters with the Great Intelligence and explain them to somebody would've been too much of a distraction from the current story, so it had to be kept an Easter egg, a passing reference that would mean something to the old-school fans but not distract or confuse the modern viewers.

In-universe, the Doctor is supposed to be over eleven hundred years old now, and was less than 450 when he encountered the Intelligence. How well do you remember things from nearly 2/3 of your lifetime ago? Even with a lifetime far shorter than the Doctor's?

Old January 1 2013, 03:56 AM   #85
DWF
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
I'm betting that the gag with Strax and the memory worm and the Doctor seeming not to fully remember the Great Intelligence were pieces of foreshadowing. Like Strax, the Doctor could be using a memory worm or some other technique to gradually erase his early memories and not even know he's doing it.
I think that's reading too much into the Doctor's memory lapse about the GI. Remember, most viewers of the new series aren't familiar with the old series, and the new episodes have to be made to stand on their own. Having the Doctor remember the details of his previous encounters with the Great Intelligence and explain them to somebody would've been too much of a distraction from the current story, so it had to be kept an Easter egg, a passing reference that would mean something to the old-school fans but not distract or confuse the modern viewers.

In-universe, the Doctor is supposed to be over eleven hundred years old now, and was less than 450 when he encountered the Intelligence. How well do you remember things from nearly 2/3 of your lifetime ago? Even with a lifetime far shorter than the Doctor's?
Not that I totality diagree with you but the Doctor can remember events from his childhood. In the end he'll remember what he needs to remember if the plot calls for it.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 06:31 AM   #86
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I don't think modern viewers would be at all confused as the Doctor has a habit of talking about things he's done that we haven't seen.
Old January 1 2013, 04:36 PM   #87
Christopher
Writer

^But it wasn't something they had time to go into in the story. It would've been a needless distraction. So they just reduced it to a throwaway "seems familiar" as a nod to the old-school fans. There's no reason to see it as some kind of important plot point about the Doctor suffering memory loss. It's just a matter of storytelling logistics.

Old January 1 2013, 04:55 PM   #88
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

^But it wasn't something they had time to go into in the story. It would've been a needless distraction. So they just reduced it to a throwaway "seems familiar" as a nod to the old-school fans. There's no reason to see it as some kind of important plot point about the Doctor suffering memory loss. It's just a matter of storytelling logistics.
Sure, but that doesn't mean it can't also be used for a different purpose, i.e. foreshadowing.
Old January 1 2013, 06:24 PM   #89
Christopher
Writer

^And what I'm saying is that I don't think that's how it was meant.

Old January 1 2013, 06:57 PM   #90
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

^And what I'm saying is that I don't think that's how it was meant.
I don't think that's how it was meant either, but the possibility exists, and stranger things have happened on the show.