RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Posts: 5,430,515
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 400
Newest member: Old Man 51


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 30 2012, 08:40 PM   #121
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: How many reset buttons?

You're calling everyone here an asshole.

Is that nice?
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 09:31 PM   #122
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: How many reset buttons?

jpch wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
jpch wrote: View Post
I really hate when people just make a Voyager hate thread...its so annoying yes there was so many reset buttons,but it was very well made and so original,not many series can pull it off. people who hate reset buttons go watch DS9.
oh wait they had to reset and reuse the same CGI over and over,oh and everyone had their shields offline oh and we had fire explosions in space oh oh and we have to survive idiotic characters on the space station that are useless. yes i am very angry because i did not workout this week...Voyager ran for 7 years so yes it was good with or without reset buttons.
You post about how much you hate people being critical of Voyager... then proceed to rip into DS9? A bit of a contradiction there I think.
Not a contradiction at all i am just trying to show people that they will always accept or ignore the issues of most series but when it comes to Voyager its unforgivable they criticize it very harshly while many others were as much or more inconsistent. my main issue is with those ridiculous threads to bash the show indirectly it gets annoying.
The difference is the constant use of the reset button undermined the premise in Voyager. In TNG, the Enterprise can go to a star base for repairs, Voyager can't do that, so if the ship heavily damaged in one episode, but fine in the next, it will be glaring.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 09:37 PM   #123
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: How many reset buttons?

Until you begin to realize that there's a month at least between most episodes.

Which leads to a completely different reset problems, since everyone should be more emotionally developed, if by the 6th episode they'd been in deep space for 6 months.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:11 AM   #124
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: How many reset buttons?

The Overlord wrote: View Post
jpch wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post

You post about how much you hate people being critical of Voyager... then proceed to rip into DS9? A bit of a contradiction there I think.
Not a contradiction at all i am just trying to show people that they will always accept or ignore the issues of most series but when it comes to Voyager its unforgivable they criticize it very harshly while many others were as much or more inconsistent. my main issue is with those ridiculous threads to bash the show indirectly it gets annoying.
The difference is the constant use of the reset button undermined the premise in Voyager. In TNG, the Enterprise can go to a star base for repairs, Voyager can't do that, so if the ship heavily damaged in one episode, but fine in the next, it will be glaring.
Well, if you don't mind me asking(cause I never get an answer to it) Why a much smaller ship that can land can't make repairs on a planets surface vs. one the size of a city that can't enter a planets atmosphere? Wouldn't it be logical to say Voyager is landing on planets to do any repair work? Wouldn't all the resources you need be down on a planet anyway? Didn't they land on an asteroid in "YOH" to do repair work? Didn't Seven argue they shouldn't leave it yet until they were finished?
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:50 AM   #125
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: How many reset buttons?

They were hiding in a Nebula in Year of Hell.

Seven argued that they shouldn't leave until they'd fixed their navigation shields.

Navigation shields are the simple screens powered by a 5 watt battery to stop dust and pebbles perforating Voyager at .25c till it looks like a sieve. It's like trying to fly a plane without a front windshield. This is one of the prime reasons why I'm sure Janeway is a maniac that she believed that her passion would compensate for a lack of navigation shields.

The ship landed for repairs in Nightingale.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 10:00 AM   #126
BruntFCA
Commander
 
BruntFCA's Avatar
 
Location: A Mile High
Re: How many reset buttons?

exodus wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
jpch wrote: View Post

Not a contradiction at all i am just trying to show people that they will always accept or ignore the issues of most series but when it comes to Voyager its unforgivable they criticize it very harshly while many others were as much or more inconsistent. my main issue is with those ridiculous threads to bash the show indirectly it gets annoying.
The difference is the constant use of the reset button undermined the premise in Voyager. In TNG, the Enterprise can go to a star base for repairs, Voyager can't do that, so if the ship heavily damaged in one episode, but fine in the next, it will be glaring.
Well, if you don't mind me asking(cause I never get an answer to it) Why a much smaller ship that can land can't make repairs on a planets surface vs. one the size of a city that can't enter a planets atmosphere? Wouldn't it be logical to say Voyager is landing on planets to do any repair work? Wouldn't all the resources you need be down on a planet anyway? Didn't they land on an asteroid in "YOH" to do repair work? Didn't Seven argue they shouldn't leave it yet until they were finished?

Personally I was never really bothered by the lack of damage except for a few occasions that defied reasonable suspension of disbelief like "The Killing Game" where sickbay is blown up but there's no mention of it next week. Wasn't there also an episode were the holodeck gets destroyed but actually ends with someone in the holodeck?
__________________
"Well, I come from a long, long line of smartasses. Smartass is allergic to dumbass. It’s actually a physical allergy, as in you’re repulsed by dumbasses."
Josh Homme
BruntFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 05:58 PM   #127
Anwar
Vice Admiral
 
Anwar's Avatar
 
Location: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: How many reset buttons?

Well, I doubt the ship only had ONE holodeck.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 06:07 PM   #128
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: How many reset buttons?

jpch wrote: View Post
I really hate when people just make a Voyager hate thread...its so annoying yes there was so many reset buttons,but it was very well made and so original,not many series can pull it off. people who hate reset buttons go watch DS9.
oh wait they had to reset and reuse the same CGI over and over,oh and everyone had their shields offline oh and we had fire explosions in space oh oh and we have to survive idiotic characters on the space station that are useless. yes i am very angry because i did not workout this week...Voyager ran for 7 years so yes it was good with or without reset buttons.
VOY was sometimes called TNG-lite. So to some fans it wasn't original. You found it original which is great for you, others might not share that viewpoint.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 10:08 PM   #129
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: How many reset buttons?

exodus wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
jpch wrote: View Post

Not a contradiction at all i am just trying to show people that they will always accept or ignore the issues of most series but when it comes to Voyager its unforgivable they criticize it very harshly while many others were as much or more inconsistent. my main issue is with those ridiculous threads to bash the show indirectly it gets annoying.
The difference is the constant use of the reset button undermined the premise in Voyager. In TNG, the Enterprise can go to a star base for repairs, Voyager can't do that, so if the ship heavily damaged in one episode, but fine in the next, it will be glaring.
Well, if you don't mind me asking(cause I never get an answer to it) Why a much smaller ship that can land can't make repairs on a planets surface vs. one the size of a city that can't enter a planets atmosphere? Wouldn't it be logical to say Voyager is landing on planets to do any repair work? Wouldn't all the resources you need be down on a planet anyway? Didn't they land on an asteroid in "YOH" to do repair work? Didn't Seven argue they shouldn't leave it yet until they were finished?
Well that is a bit of stretch, that Voyager would be able to find a planet with the resources necessary to repair the ship of all damage and that the repair crews are so skilled it would look like no damage has taken place. A ship on its own isn't going to have the resources that ship with access to several star bases, so even if Voyager could do that, it should be a patch job rather then a completely seamless repair job. Voyager should have started to look like a patch work of different fix it solutions, rather then looking the same each time.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 10:29 PM   #130
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: How many reset buttons?

They kept some of the Borg tech after Scorpion.

Fools.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 10:36 PM   #131
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: How many reset buttons?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
VOY was sometimes called TNG-lite.
First time I've heard that. But you're right, has been described thus. I guess I just prefer lite to stodgy full-fat
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 11:54 PM   #132
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: How many reset buttons?

Light and bouncy. Buoyant, even.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 06:15 AM   #133
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: How many reset buttons?

The Overlord wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post

The difference is the constant use of the reset button undermined the premise in Voyager. In TNG, the Enterprise can go to a star base for repairs, Voyager can't do that, so if the ship heavily damaged in one episode, but fine in the next, it will be glaring.
Well, if you don't mind me asking(cause I never get an answer to it) Why a much smaller ship that can land can't make repairs on a planets surface vs. one the size of a city that can't enter a planets atmosphere? Wouldn't it be logical to say Voyager is landing on planets to do any repair work? Wouldn't all the resources you need be down on a planet anyway? Didn't they land on an asteroid in "YOH" to do repair work? Didn't Seven argue they shouldn't leave it yet until they were finished?
Well that is a bit of stretch, that Voyager would be able to find a planet with the resources necessary to repair the ship of all damage and that the repair crews are so skilled it would look like no damage has taken place. A ship on its own isn't going to have the resources that ship with access to several star bases, so even if Voyager could do that, it should be a patch job rather then a completely seamless repair job. Voyager should have started to look like a patch work of different fix it solutions, rather then looking the same each time.
If a pocket watch can be made into a plate of food or a pair of boots, then what type of resources would they need to make hull plating?
If Engineers build Starships and replicators have blue prints programmed into them, why can't a ships Engineers repair a ship as small as Voyager? It's not like we haven't seen them do it.(Deadlock & Nightingale) Would Voyager require as much resources to repair it as the Enterprise?
...or do you find it too much to despend belief in something as science fiction as the replicator?

Me personally, I've always viewed Starship repair much like a car. Everything can be fixed and replaced, except if the frame is damaged, Then the ship is a total loss. Like "YOH", that ship couldn't be fixed because parts of the frame work were half gone but everything else they encountered was just cosmetic.

BruntFCA wrote: View Post
Personally I was never really bothered by the lack of damage except for a few occasions that defied reasonable suspension of disbelief like "The Killing Game" where sickbay is blown up but there's no mention of it next week. Wasn't there also an episode were the holodeck gets destroyed but actually ends with someone in the holodeck?
Yeah, I like "the Killing Game" but also found it a little off.
The Hirogen were expanding the holodeck into the the other decks. So were did all the floors and cabins go?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
VOY was sometimes called TNG-lite. So to some fans it wasn't original. You found it original which is great for you, others might not share that viewpoint.
I've always wondered if Voyager had been more gritty, if we wouldn't have then complained it was too much like DS9 and just ripping it off.

TNG was a huge success, so I think I'd be complimented if fans found it similar.......but that's just me.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Last edited by exodus; January 2 2013 at 06:34 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 12:45 PM   #134
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: How many reset buttons?

Yes but when fans used the phrase TNG-lite it wasn't as a compliment, it was in some ways saying if you want the real thing watch TNG, this is an inferior product.

Some of the complaints levelled at it regarding resources issues could have been avoided by a line drop i.e.

Captain's Log stardate 52101.2 We have just left Dalarian space where we were able to replenish our anti-matter supplies.

But you can't have a line like "saying we only have 39 photon torpedeos and no way to replace them" and then use more than that without saying how you got more. It's story telling 101.

It's a well known fact that Sci-Fi fans pick up on these continuity errors, now of course you have to appeal toa wider audiance who might not care about such things, but go back to my point above drop a line into an episode. Voyager is under heavy attack.

"I'm glad we were able to bring our torepdeo compliment up to full"

It has little or no impact on the episode itself.

Now of course other shows have plot holes in them as well, and VOY did have it's moments.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 12:59 PM   #135
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: How many reset buttons?

I don't need to hear about the shopping list. If the fridge is full I assume someone took care of it.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.