RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 505
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 6 2011, 06:09 PM   #31
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Spider-man books

Fair enough. I thought the story worked extremely well and was one of his better written works. Both the Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent "personal' stories I thought were well handled as well. Bruce cleaning up Wayne Enterprises and trying to improve his reputation while Clark discovering about himself still.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2011, 06:32 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

No, it wasn't bad, it's just that there were a few moments of Did Not Do the Research that stood out.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 10:25 PM   #33
garoo1980
Lieutenant Commander

Is it poor etiquette to pick HP a thread I started 8 months ago?

Sad to hear they aren't currently publishing Batman/Spiderman novels. I enjoy them immensely. I don't really like comics although I enjoy comic book movies and shows. Guess I'll have to try again at the comics. I tend to read them like novels, reading a while book in 15 minutes. I gather you're supposed to take time and appreciate the art work
garoo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 10:37 PM   #34
Christopher
Writer

garoo1980 wrote: View Post
More like 21 months ago.

Old December 30 2012, 10:43 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

But, hey, if it gives me a chance to plug my upcoming MAN OF STEEL novelization . . . go for it!

Oh, I should also mention THE AVENGER: THE ROARING HEART OF THE CRUCIBLE, an anthology coming out this spring featuring new stories about the classic pulp hero created by "Kenneth Robeson."

Just to be clear, we're not talking about Tony and Steve and Bruce here, or even Steed and Emma. We're talking about Richard Henry Benson, The Avenger.

(And, yes, I have a story in the anthology.)

Last edited by Greg Cox; December 30 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 11:22 PM   #36
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

garoo1980 wrote: View Post

Sad to hear they aren't currently publishing Batman/Spiderman novels. I enjoy them immensely. I don't really like comics although I enjoy comic book movies and shows. Guess I'll have to try again at the comics. I tend to read them like novels, reading a while book in 15 minutes. I gather you're supposed to take time and appreciate the art work
I can read a comic from the 2000's in just a few minutes. It's the stuff from the 60's that takes a while to read because they spelled out every little detail for you.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 01:02 AM   #37
Christopher
Writer

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I can read a comic from the 2000's in just a few minutes. It's the stuff from the 60's that takes a while to read because they spelled out every little detail for you.
Also because comics today have become so decompressed. It used to be that comics routinely had up to 9 panels per page, often quite crowded with speech balloons and captions. These days it's more typical to have 2-4 panels per page and relatively little text. Back then you could have 2-3 complete stories crammed into one issue, now it typically takes 4-6 issues to tell one story because comics are written with the trade paperback compilations in mind.

Old December 31 2012, 03:59 AM   #38
scnj
Captain

Does KRAD still post here? I'd like to know when that second Serenity novel is coming...
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:05 AM   #39
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Oh, I should also mention THE AVENGER: THE ROARING HEART OF THE CRUCIBLE, an anthology coming out this spring featuring new stories about the classic pulp hero created by "Kenneth Robeson."

I'm VERY excited to hear this. Who's publishing this? Will your story feature any of the Justice, Inc. gang?
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:05 AM   #40
ATimson
Rear Admiral

scnj wrote: View Post
Does KRAD still post here? I'd like to know when that second Serenity novel is coming...
It's not. Mutant Enemy never approved any outlines, so the line never happened.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 04:22 AM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

I'm VERY excited to hear this. Who's publishing this? Will your story feature any of the Justice, Inc. gang?
The publisher is Moonstone, who has already published a couple of AVENGER anthologies. And, yeah, a few of his sidekicks appear in my story.
Old December 31 2012, 01:54 PM   #42
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Earlier this year I read "Spider-Man: Wanted Dead Or Alive". I don't recall who the author was, but I remember that one of the editors on the book was Keith R.A DeCandido. I found the book rather enjoyable.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 03:31 PM   #43
scnj
Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
scnj wrote: View Post
It's not. Mutant Enemy never approved any outlines, so the line never happened.
I was admittedly being facetious. I figure seven years is enough time to know something's not happening.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 01:02 AM   #44
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Craig Shaw Gardner is the author of "Spider-Man: Wanted Dead or Alive" I believe.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 04:23 PM   #45
veritech
Ensign

Christopher wrote: View Post
Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Also because comics today have become so decompressed. It used to be that comics routinely had up to 9 panels per page, often quite crowded with speech balloons and captions. These days it's more typical to have 2-4 panels per page and relatively little text. Back then you could have 2-3 complete stories crammed into one issue, now it typically takes 4-6 issues to tell one story because comics are written with the trade paperback compilations in mind.
I would be interested in hearing your opinions on decompression in modern comics. Personally, I find it somewhat annoying as a comics reader of the 80's and early 90's. I've always read that writers today are made to "write for the trade", but I can't confirm the accuracy of that statement.
veritech is offline   Reply With Quote