Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 18 2012, 10:53 PM   #16
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Orci again claims new series in pre-development

This isn't exactly new. The video was posted in July.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Borgminister

12 episode series on Showtime or AMC would be my wish, but fat chance.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 01:31 AM   #18
MPH
Rear Admiral

Not interested in this at all, has to be a proper series for me with actual actors.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 06:20 AM   #19
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

MPH wrote: View Post
Not interested in this at all, has to be a proper series for me with actual actors.
I think you'll be SOL for a long time then.
Old December 21 2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

SOL?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 12:36 PM   #21
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
SOL?
Shit Out of Luck.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 05:44 PM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I'll believe it when I see a pilot.
Old December 21 2012, 11:16 PM   #23
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

An animated series isn't my first choice but it could be excellent a la The Clone Wars and it is far better than nothing. At the very least, it would demonstrate that Star Trek is perfectly viable on TV and keep the franchise alive in that medium. I still think that if Game of Thrones can make it on premium cable - nerdy content at a high price tag - then why couldn't space opera do the same?

The voices can also follow TCW, use the movie actors when feasible - Samuel L. Jackson must be cutting them a deal based on his love of Star Wars - and use voice actors for the rest. I like the guy who dos Obi-Wan better than Ewan McGregor and Anakin is good too although he does sound a bit too surfer-dude-ish at times.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 07:30 AM   #24
The Overlord
Captain

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
An animated series isn't my first choice but it could be excellent a la The Clone Wars and it is far better than nothing. At the very least, it would demonstrate that Star Trek is perfectly viable on TV and keep the franchise alive in that medium. I still think that if Game of Thrones can make it on premium cable - nerdy content at a high price tag - then why couldn't space opera do the same?

The voices can also follow TCW, use the movie actors when feasible - Samuel L. Jackson must be cutting them a deal based on his love of Star Wars - and use voice actors for the rest. I like the guy who dos Obi-Wan better than Ewan McGregor and Anakin is good too although he does sound a bit too surfer-dude-ish at times.
Samuel L. Jackson doesn't do the voice of Mace Windu in the Clone Wars cartoon, its voice actor Terrence C. Carson who does that voice.

If the cartoon series is set in the reboot universe and uses the characters from the movies, they will get professional VAs to do sound alike voices, rather then shell out for Chris Pine to come in every week. If it was a cartoon about say USS Titan, they could get Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis to reprise their roles and have the rest of the cast be professional VAs. If they set a cartoon in the reboot universe, but have it follow a different set of characters, it can have a more affordable voice cast as well.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 04:36 PM   #25
bullethead
Fleet Captain

The Overlord wrote: View Post

Samuel L. Jackson doesn't do the voice of Mace Windu in the Clone Wars cartoon, its voice actor Terrence C. Carson who does that voice.

If the cartoon series is set in the reboot universe and uses the characters from the movies, they will get professional VAs to do sound alike voices, rather then shell out for Chris Pine to come in every week. If it was a cartoon about say USS Titan, they could get Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis to reprise their roles and have the rest of the cast be professional VAs. If they set a cartoon in the reboot universe, but have it follow a different set of characters, it can have a more affordable voice cast as well.
Don't forget Tim Russ, who broke into voice acting with Sym-Bionic Titan as Solomon Kane.
Old December 22 2012, 09:41 PM   #26
The Overlord
Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post

Don't forget Tim Russ, who broke into voice acting with Sym-Bionic Titan as Solomon Kane.
That is true, I forgot about Tuvok. My point is its easier to get returning actors if its based on the old continuity rather then the rebooted one. Jonathan Frakes costs much less then Chris Pine.
Old December 29 2012, 11:37 PM   #27
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Huh, I thought I read that was Samuel L. Jackson. But it really doesn't matter, since finding a voice actor to do a reasonable approximation of any character is always an option.

The real question is, are the kids who will be the target audience for an animated Star Trek series interested in the likes of Riker and Troi? Do they even know who they are? The kids will want to see the same characters they've been seeing in the movies they've actually been to.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 09:00 AM   #28
The Overlord
Captain

Huh, I thought I read that was Samuel L. Jackson. But it really doesn't matter, since finding a voice actor to do a reasonable approximation of any character is always an option.

The real question is, are the kids who will be the target audience for an animated Star Trek series interested in the likes of Riker and Troi? Do they even know who they are? The kids will want to see the same characters they've been seeing in the movies they've actually been to.
Well I am just saying that basing a show on something like Titan is the only you have any of the live action actors involved in the cartoon. If its going to be based on the rebooted universe and be about the crew from the movies, they will have to use sound alikes.
Old December 30 2012, 10:09 PM   #29
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Are you targeting children or adults for this series?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:11 AM   #30
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Eh, it'd certainly be better than nothing and could be the next stage in eventually seeing the franchise back on TV in live action form.