Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 30 2012, 02:40 AM   #496
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Thanks for the tips!

Funny thing: first time I gave that mission a go today, I beat the guy. Remembered that I have a force power that lets me swap hp for Force, so used that a couple of times during the fight, and that was enough to get off enough damage to deal with him relatively easily (Khem had died by then but I still had about 3/4 of my health left).

Anyway, Tatooine looks really cool. Going to enjoy this planet I think.

I finally reached the next Legacy level too, so given that my XP gains are nerfed by not being a subscriber, I decided to spend some credits on the unlocks for XP buffs for exploring & class quests, so hopefully that will give me enough of a boost to not need to grind too much later on.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 12:03 PM   #497
Whizzer
Lieutenant Commander

The Sacrifice ability is a pretty great idea for that encounter, I only discovered that when I switched to healing for the first time at Lvl 50.

IMO Tatooine has a great feel to it. I found cruising across the dunes with your speeder very much like the actual Star Wars movie. The quests are mostly not that memorable, only one I really liked "The Thing Czerka found" (or something like that).
Old December 30 2012, 02:03 PM   #498
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Tatooine is fun to explore and it was my favourite planet in KotOR too. It's that sense that you're exploring the inside of a Ralph McQuarrie painting that I found very enjoyable.

Speaking of KotOR, I just did the flashpoint that deals with what happened to Revan and...I can't believe they did *that*. What a let down!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 02:19 PM   #499
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Any recommendations on PvE guilds, especially Role-Playing? Mainly looking at US East or European servers. Just starting out. Thanks.
I don't know about specific guilds, but The Progenitor is the dedicated RP server for Europe.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 09:27 PM   #500
Holdfast

Whizzer wrote: View Post
The Sacrifice ability is a pretty great idea for that encounter, I only discovered that when I switched to healing for the first time at Lvl 50.
Yeah, when I first got it, I thought I'd never really use it as things would have to be pretty dire to need it in PvE. So much so that I moved it off my Quickbar. Which is why I forgot about it. I only remembered about it while I was dropping off to sleep later in the day.

I can see it being very useful as a dedicated healer though.

But in that Paladius fight, using it really was an "unlimited POWAAH!" type moment.

IMO Tatooine has a great feel to it. I found cruising across the dunes with your speeder very much like the actual Star Wars movie.
Reverend wrote: View Post
Tatooine is fun to explore and it was my favourite planet in KotOR too. It's that sense that you're exploring the inside of a Ralph McQuarrie painting that I found very enjoyable.
That's exactly it; they've got the look & feel of the planet spot-on.

Plus, I think part of it is the sheer contrast between the wide-open beautiful (if harsh) space and the claustrophic, badly-lit, neon Nar Shaddaa that you've just left.
Old December 31 2012, 02:23 AM   #501
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post

Speaking of KotOR, I just did the flashpoint that deals with what happened to Revan and...I can't believe they did *that*. What a let down!
Which one? The Foundry or Maelstrom? They're different.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Plus, I think part of it is the sheer contrast between the wide-open beautiful (if harsh) space and the claustrophic, badly-lit, neon Nar Shaddaa that you've just left.
Make sure you take the balloon ride.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 03:53 AM   #502
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, Tatooine is a fun planet to explore, due the wide expanse. I had heard good things about Nar Shadaa and was looking forward to it, but that planet was dull and quite disappointing and wasn't at all what I'd expected from it being in the Jedi Knight series. Tatooine was a breath of fresh air, and despite the grinding I've had to do on it, I haven't minded all that much due to it being more of a fun planet to do it on.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 06:14 PM   #503
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

As far as scenery, I think Alderaan is the best. The thranta ride from the last spot in Glarus Valley to the Imp space port is probably the longest taxi ride in the game. But the views are amazing.

I've taken said ride even when my QT was available to just look at the mountains.

Voss is really beautiful too, and the caldera on Belsavis is its own brand of epic, especially on pvp servers.
Old December 31 2012, 06:58 PM   #504
Holdfast

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Make sure you take the balloon ride.
I hear it's worth it.

Having said that, I'm terrible at jumping accurately under pressure and suspect the scenery will be my only reward.

I'll probably give it a go, though.
Old December 31 2012, 07:27 PM   #505
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^The balloon is actually one of the easier "jumps" to do. It's the waiting for it to get in position that gets annoying. When I started playing, I got every lightside datacron in the game. NEVER AGAIN. Those were the most frustrating hours of play. (yes, hours, in some cases)
Old December 31 2012, 09:01 PM   #506
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

I've gotten every cron in the game except for the +3 Strength in Shadow Town on NS. I've spent hours on it, but I just can't get up onto that light. I've tried every trick in the book (including the jump backwards with sprint off) and I still over-shoot it.
Old December 31 2012, 09:43 PM   #507
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Are you talking about the republic +3 strength? If I remember right, I aimed sort of for the wall and the light at the same time. If you get my drift.
Old January 1 2013, 01:20 AM   #508
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

How do you even jump onto the balloon? As far as I know, you can't jump very high and I'm not aware of any force jump in the game. Is there a point where it's more reachable?
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 02:18 AM   #509
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Snowjourner wrote: View Post
Are you talking about the republic +3 strength? If I remember right, I aimed sort of for the wall and the light at the same time. If you get my drift.
Yup. I tried that over and over.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
How do you even jump onto the balloon? As far as I know, you can't jump very high and I'm not aware of any force jump in the game. Is there a point where it's more reachable?
There's a pile of wreckage on top of a mesa in the far SW corner of the Dune sea. You can run up it (the wing?) and the balloon travels right up next to it. You can pretty much walk right on.
Old January 1 2013, 02:29 AM   #510
sojourner
Vice Admiral

How to find the datacrons.