Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Which film did you like best (even with reservations)?
Star Trek (2009) 60 67.42%
Prometheus (2012) 6 6.74%
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 18 20.22%
I liked them all equally... 1 1.12%
I didn't care for any of them... 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 30 2012, 07:48 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: A three film comparison/face-off...

I had no doubt this would turn into a Star Trek 2009 bitchfest.
Old December 30 2012, 07:56 PM   #32
Warped9
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Which, despite what some may say, is a perfectly valid way to decide whether a movie appeals to you or not. If you're turned off by the trailers, there's no reason at all to spend time and money watching a movie that's obviously not for you.

Of course, it also means that your opinion about Star Trek isn't worth much.
This is "horseshit." If he's been watching Trek in all its incarnations for decades then he has a perfectly valid opinion of what it is. And if he has similar tastes to others who often reflect his opinions then he's got nothing to apologize for.
Old December 30 2012, 08:00 PM   #33
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
This is "horseshit." If he's been watching Trek in all its incarnations for decades then he has a perfectly valid opinion of what it is. And if he has similar tastes to others who often reflect his opinions then he's got nothing to apologize for.
Of course he's got nothing to apologize for, that goes without saying. But if he hasn't seen the movie, his opinion about the movie is completely lacking in interest.
Old December 30 2012, 08:10 PM   #34
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Prometheus is my favorite of the three. I really loved that film and was quite impressed by the quality when I first saw it in theaters. Of the three it's also the only one I own on DVD. TDKR would come next followed by Star Trek.

I'm pretty sure he meant the poster's opinion on Star Trek the movie is worthless since he hasn't actually seen it, not his opinion on Star Trek as a whole.
Old December 30 2012, 08:12 PM   #35
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure he meant the poster's opinion on Star Trek the movie is worthless since he hasn't actually seen it, not his opinion on Star Trek as a whole.
Well yes, that's what we're talking about here, isn't it?
Old December 30 2012, 08:14 PM   #36
sidious618
Admiral

Well yes, that's what we're talking about here, isn't it?
Yep, but it seems like Warped9 took it as Star Trek as a whole otherwise his post doesn't really make any sense.
Old December 30 2012, 08:16 PM   #37
Warped9
Admiral

Of course he's got nothing to apologize for, that goes without saying. But if he hasn't seen the movie, his opinion about the movie is completely lacking in interest.
I was pretty much in Admiral2's position in that I had zero interest in seeing the film. I certainly wasn't going to pay good money to see what I had already suspected was a train wreck. The only reason I did see it was because a coworker at the time shared his download with me. What shocked me when I did finally watch it is that it was even worse than I had half suspected.

But this position could apply to any film. If the trailers and marketing don't grab you then it's pretty hard to work up some interest in the thing. It's true you just might be mistaken, but if your lack of interest is bolstered by the opinions of others with whom you've shared common tastes then the likelihood of you changing your mind is very small.

Mind you Trek has been on a down slide for years so one could be forgiven for thinking things weren't going to get any better anytime soon. And in this case Admiral2's suspicions (and mine) were dead on. The fact that it was commercially popular is largely meaningless (at least to him) because lots of garbage movies are commercially popular.

It must be said that I've been on the other side of the fence. There are films I quite liked (and were even popular) that quite a few others vocally denounced.
Old December 30 2012, 08:18 PM   #38
sidious618
Admiral

I thought Star Trek was going to be pretty shitty but I enjoyed it.
Old December 30 2012, 08:19 PM   #39
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I completely agree that someone's opinion of a film they haven't actually seen is worthless.
Old December 30 2012, 08:23 PM   #40
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Mind you Trek has been on a down slide for years so one could be forgiven for thinking things weren't going to get any better anytime soon. And in this case Admiral2's suspicions (and mine) were dead on. The fact that it was commercially popular is largely meaningless (at least to him) because lots of garbage movies are commercially popular.
Your position on the movie is well-known. As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek is not a perfect movie but undoubtedly the most fun and enjoyable of all the Trek films, and the reason why the franchise is no longer on the down slide.

I thought Prometheus was appalling, a mind-numbing mess with a truly terrible script and a waste of a very talented cast. The Dark Knight Rises was engaging had some excellent performances but the pace was uneven and in some respects, the script felt like a first draft.
Old December 30 2012, 08:31 PM   #41
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Which, despite what some may say, is a perfectly valid way to decide whether a movie appeals to you or not. If you're turned off by the trailers, there's no reason at all to spend time and money watching a movie that's obviously not for you.

This is "horseshit." If he's been watching Trek in all its incarnations for decades then he has a perfectly valid opinion of what it is.
The italics meant that he was referring to Star Trek, the film, not Star Trek the franchise.
Old December 30 2012, 09:40 PM   #42
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
One of the trailers was a young Jim Kirk dumping a classic car off a cliff cause he's, like, troubled or something.

Horseshit.

I'll take my chances missing it.

Go back and read what I wrote more carefully.

Quote moi:

Star Trek: Still ain't seen it. Still don't intend to, because the trailers sucked huge. And I don't care what people think of me saying that.
I wasn't giving an opinion of a movie I haven't seen, which, as you say, would be worthless. I was giving an opinion of trailers I'd seen ad nauseum going to other movies and the decision I made based on them, which as you also said, I had every right to do.

By the way, an opinion of a movie that one hasn't seen may be worthless, but negatively commenting on an opinion that wasn't actually offered is kinda stupid.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 09:42 PM   #43
sidious618
Admiral

Considering you decided to use a negative quote about the film as your signature, you can't possibly think you can get away with saying you haven't given an opinion about the film.
Old December 30 2012, 09:44 PM   #44
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Considering you decided to use a negative quote about the film as your signature, you can't possibly think you can get away with saying you haven't given an opinion about the film.

Sure I can. I'm using the quote cause it's funny. It's Warped9's opinion...

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 09:47 PM   #45
Orac
Admiral

Breaking news! Warped9 hates Star Trek (2009).

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #62: Day of the Dove
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote