RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,234
Posts: 5,347,903
Members: 24,609
Currently online: 594
Newest member: chipper803

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 30 2012, 04:46 PM   #31
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: I miss Star Trek.

Lynx wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
What I would like to see is a new series with new characters set in the 24th century.
I think it's very unlikely that we're ever going to see the adventures of Captain Whatsisname of the Federation Starship USS Continuity boldly going where everyone has gone before.


Then everything is over!

No reason for life, love or anything. There's only one option left: To watch every episode of Stargate Universe and die of boredom.
Well, there's always DOCTOR WHO. That could keep you busy for decades!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:46 PM   #32
Joker
Vice Admiral
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Location: The North
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker
Re: I miss Star Trek.

Lynx wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
What I would like to see is a new series with new characters set in the 24th century.
I think it's very unlikely that we're ever going to see the adventures of Captain Whatsisname of the Federation Starship USS Continuity boldly going where everyone has gone before.


Then everything is over!

No reason for life, love or anything. There's only one option left: To watch every episode of Stargate Universe and die of boredom.
Don't worry... your Kes blow-up doll will outlive us all.
__________________
My name is Pain. You belong to me.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:51 PM   #33
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Along the border of Talarian space
Re: I miss Star Trek.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Read Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novels. Full Circle, Unworthy, Children of the Storm and The Eternal Tide are all excellent.
I have a couple of questions on these books.

Firstly, do you have to read the ones before them (Homecoming/Farther Shore and Spirit Walk) to catch whats going on?

Secondly, is Harry Kim still Security Chief?

One of these is an annoyance and the other is a deal breaker.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Susanna Leijten, U.S.S. Silverfin NCC-4470, Border Service Third Cutter Squadron
Manip by: FltCpt. Bossco (STPMA)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 05:11 PM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: I miss Star Trek.

No, you don't need to have read the prior books. I didn't read them all.
Although events spin off from big things in TNG's Before Dishonor and the big crossover thingie Destiny, they're not needed at all.

Yes, Harry's still Voyager's security chief (although he's matured somewhat), and Tuvok's absent (on the USS Titan)
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 05:43 PM   #35
Lynx
Rear Admiral
 
Lynx's Avatar
 
Location: Lynx Empire
Re: I miss Star Trek.

Joker wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

I think it's very unlikely that we're ever going to see the adventures of Captain Whatsisname of the Federation Starship USS Continuity boldly going where everyone has gone before.


Then everything is over!

No reason for life, love or anything. There's only one option left: To watch every episode of Stargate Universe and die of boredom.
Don't worry... your Kes blow-up doll will outlive us all.
Sorry, I don't own one of those. Maybe you have one to sell?
__________________
Who'd let that cat in here?

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 06:42 PM   #36
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: I miss Star Trek.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

I think it's very unlikely that we're ever going to see the adventures of Captain Whatsisname of the Federation Starship USS Continuity boldly going where everyone has gone before.


Then everything is over!

No reason for life, love or anything. There's only one option left: To watch every episode of Stargate Universe and die of boredom.
Well, there's always DOCTOR WHO. That could keep you busy for decades!
...and I still haven't seen Babylon Five.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 06:55 PM   #37
The Overlord
Captain
 
Re: I miss Star Trek.

Lynx wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
What I would like to see is a new series with new characters set in the 24th century.
I think it's very unlikely that we're ever going to see the adventures of Captain Whatsisname of the Federation Starship USS Continuity boldly going where everyone has gone before.


Then everything is over!

No reason for life, love or anything. There's only one option left: To watch every episode of Stargate Universe and die of boredom.
There is talk of a new Star Trek animated series, though one would assume it would be set in the rebooted universe.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 07:13 PM   #38
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: I miss Star Trek.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post



Then everything is over!

No reason for life, love or anything. There's only one option left: To watch every episode of Stargate Universe and die of boredom.
Well, there's always DOCTOR WHO. That could keep you busy for decades!
...and I still haven't seen Babylon Five.
And don't forget FARSCAPE!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 07:16 PM   #39
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: I miss Star Trek.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Well, there's always DOCTOR WHO. That could keep you busy for decades!
...and I still haven't seen Babylon Five.
And don't forget FARSCAPE!
Actually, yes, start with Farscape!
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 07:51 PM   #40
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: I miss Star Trek.

People don't like Stargate Universe? I thought it was at least much better than Atlantis.

Exploring where everyone has gone before? Dude, four words: Trans-galactic warp drive. There's a whole big universe out there, maybe the next galaxy doesn't even have humanoids. Maybe it has giant sentient dog creatures, or it's dominated by planet-sized space beings, or goo creatures (Ones that can't take solid form). For all the stuff about tolerating other creatures we never met sentient creatures even as different as we see in the Ender series, don't you want to see that story told of creating diplomacy with creatures who are completely alien to us without making them superior energy beings?

But yeah, Viacom certainly has no intention of telling more stories in the 24th century. Which I think is a waste of a universe. And I wish they hadn't established the stupid precedent that everyone and their grandmother has a time machine in the 29th century.

And I'm sure the novels are great, but here's the thing about reading Star Trek novels, IMO. When I have free time, there are two moods I'm in. Short attention span mood and long attention span mood.

Long attention span mood leads me to want to read novels, and short attention span mood wants me to watch TV. But when I'm in long attention span mood, I lean toward long attention span books. That is not Star Trek.

I'd recommend Babylon 5 over Farscape. It has more emotional content. Then again didn't get that far into Farscape, maybe it has more as the series goes on. It seemed to me a kind of show like Stargate where they just recycle common space opera storylines with their own unique style and attitude.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 08:38 PM   #41
Lynx
Rear Admiral
 
Lynx's Avatar
 
Location: Lynx Empire
Re: I miss Star Trek.

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
People don't like Stargate Universe? I thought it was at least much better than Atlantis.

Exploring where everyone has gone before? Dude, four words: Trans-galactic warp drive. There's a whole big universe out there, maybe the next galaxy doesn't even have humanoids. Maybe it has giant sentient dog creatures, or it's dominated by planet-sized space beings, or goo creatures (Ones that can't take solid form). For all the stuff about tolerating other creatures we never met sentient creatures even as different as we see in the Ender series, don't you want to see that story told of creating diplomacy with creatures who are completely alien to us without making them superior energy beings?

But yeah, Viacom certainly has no intention of telling more stories in the 24th century. Which I think is a waste of a universe. And I wish they hadn't established the stupid precedent that everyone and their grandmother has a time machine in the 29th century.

And I'm sure the novels are great, but here's the thing about reading Star Trek novels, IMO. When I have free time, there are two moods I'm in. Short attention span mood and long attention span mood.

Long attention span mood leads me to want to read novels, and short attention span mood wants me to watch TV. But when I'm in long attention span mood, I lean toward long attention span books. That is not Star Trek.

I'd recommend Babylon 5 over Farscape. It has more emotional content. Then again didn't get that far into Farscape, maybe it has more as the series goes on. It seemed to me a kind of show like Stargate where they just recycle common space opera storylines with their own unique style and attitude.
I actually liked Stargate Atlantis. Good characters and an enemy which was actually exciting and a bit scaring (The Wraith).

I didn't like Stargate Universe. The premise was good but we had those incredibly dull character constantly arguing and bickering. I found it so boring so I actually switched channels on some occasions. I finally stopped watching it. The only reason I started watching it again was that it became a joke between me and one of my friends.

Farscape was another story. It was actually good and I wouldn't mind to watch it again.

But I must admit that Trek is superior to all other SF-series when it comes to storytelling and good characters.

As for the Abramsverse, I might re-evalue my not so positive feelings about it if they bring in Yoda and Chewbacca!

As for the series I watch right now, my favorites are NCIS , the CSI series, well at least CSI NY since CSI Miami is gone and the original series lost everything when Grissom and Willows left. I also watch occasional episodes of Law And Order SVU when I have time.
__________________
Who'd let that cat in here?

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 11:21 PM   #42
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: I miss Star Trek.

I loved Atlantis. SGU sucked for it's first season. It's second was okay it it's first half and good in the second half. Then it predicatably got cancelled.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 11:35 PM   #43
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: I miss Star Trek.

[QUOTE=JirinPanthosa;7464760]
I'd recommend Babylon 5 over Farscape. It has more emotional content. Then again didn't get that far into Farscape, maybe it has more as the series goes on. QUOTE]

It really, really does. There's already a "B5 vs. Farscape" thread going on in the general SF/Fantasy forum, so there's no need to rehash it here, but rest assured that Farscape has plenty of emotional content. The love story between Crichton and Aeryn is probably the most gripping love story in any scifi television series . . . ever. And then you have all the gut-wrenching drama with Moya and her son, Scorpius, Chiana, etc.

I'd go with Farscape over B5, but they're both great shows, to be sure.

(Full disclosure: I co-edited all the FARSCAPE novels and contributed to the official magazine. Don't have any professional connection to B5.)
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 11:40 PM   #44
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: I miss Star Trek.

The one time in its run I was really into Atlantis was the second half of the first season. After that I think it just kind of sunk into a pattern of overly disposable storylines bordering on camp.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 11:42 PM   #45
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: I miss Star Trek.

As a TOS fan, I loved it for that.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.